Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight

What do you guys recommend as a replacement headlight for a GS850gn. Mine is not as bright or wide spanning as I would like. Any suggestions? I also don't want to get one that will draw too much off the battery.

j razz

sylvianna makes a "silver star" bulb that is the same wattage as stock halogens but alot brighter.

Comment

I believe the 850GN had a sealed-beam light. Look for a halogen light to replace it You can look for a 7-inch light from just about any motorcycle after about 1980, or any of several after-market manufacturers. The light assembly will use an H4 (or 9003, same thing) bulb, and it draws the same current that your stock sealed beam does. The light will be brighter because it is a halogen bulb, and the pattern will be better, too.

The Silverstar bulb and some of the "Xtra-Vision" bulbs are OK, but beware others that claim to be "simulated HID" and other such crap. All they do is tint the bulb blue to make it look like HID, but all that does is remove the part of the light spectrum that lets you see down the road.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. Here is what I have found: http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=28 Here is what I don't understand- it has two 7" round headlights with the same model number but one says motorcycle and costs a lot more. Is there really a difference?

Also as for a bulb- http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=152 do they have both low and high built in? I couldn't find anything that stated this.

I would assume that if I got the motorcycle 7" headlight and the bulb, they would be compatible with eachother and fit in a windjammer?

Thanks for the help guys.

j razz

Comment

Originally posted by jrazz View Post
          Thanks for the information guys. Here is what I have found: http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=28 Here is what I don't understand- it has two 7" round headlights with the same model number but one says motorcycle and costs a lot more. Is there really a difference?

Also as for a bulb- http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=152 do they have both low and high built in? I couldn't find anything that stated this.

I would assume that if I got the motorcycle 7" headlight and the bulb, they would be compatible with eachother and fit in a windjammer?

Thanks for the help guys.

j razz
          Yes there is a difference in the lens cut between a motorcycle headlight and standard 7" automobile headlights. I didn't look to see what it costs in the link you provided, but check out JC Whitney for them, last time I looked they had some of the best prices on the lenses. I have done the conversion on my 450 but that has a 5 1/4" headlight instead of the 7" yours and my 850. I will be converting my 850 here very soon because it made so much of a difference. I run the standard Silverstars (they didn't have then new ones when I installed it on my 450 so I don't know how well they do) and have put over 6K miles on the bike since with no vibration problems like some people claim and the 2 cyl vibrates worse then my 4 cyl 850.

Comment

j razz
            The 7" stanley "001-1970" headlight lens I just bought off e-bay interchanges between the stock lamp housing and my windjammer IV just fine.

***and it is the stock lens for most 80-up gs-series***

Last edited by rustybronco; 07-17-2008, 01:36 PM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks again for the info, but just to be sure, the silverstar bulbs or others that are H4 or 9003 are indeed low and high beam?

j razz

Comment

Thanks again for the info, but just to be sure, the silverstar bulbs or others that are H4 or 9003 are indeed low and high beam?

j razz
                Yes they are high/low.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks!

j razz

Comment

I went the route of buying a new 7 inch headlight housing with bulb on e-bay. Works well and was cheap.

We sell H4 Conversion Lights, Off Road Lights, Halogen Bulb Kits, Halogen Bulbs, Work Lamps, Miniature Bulbs and many more. The quality of our products is very good and prices are very low. These products are made by an ISO-9001 company who has been in the lighting business for over 35 years.

Comment

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
                      I went the route of buying a new 7 inch headlight housing with bulb on e-bay. Works well and was cheap.

http://stores.ebay.com/Autopal-Lights
                      Just make sure that when you buy it off the auction site that you get one WITH DOT IMPRINTED on the lens. If there is no DOT number on the bulb and lens then they are illegal and if the cop is a jerk and feels like it he can give you a heck of a ticket for improper equipment or failing to have a certified light on your bike.

Comment

... it has two 7" round headlights with the same model number but one says motorcycle and costs a lot more. Is there really a difference?
                        As far as I know, the biggest difference between the two lights would be the beam pattern. The stock motorcycle light has a pattern that resembles the top half of a bow tie. That way it will reach out on both shoulders, but has a dip in the center so you don't blind the cars directly in front of you. Personally that is where I want the light, right in front of me. I want to be able to see the road. Not sure about the beam pattern offered on that other (cheaper) light, but if you can find a European-code light, it has the best pattern. Might cost a little more, but it will be worth it. It will have a flat, very sharp cut-off on the left side so you don't blind oncoming traffic, and has a flare up the right side so you can see farther up the right shoulder.

Oh, the H4 and 9003 bulbs are basically the same, and they have both high- and low-beam included. What you want to watch for is to keep to the stock wattage of 55/60, which means 55-watt low-beam, 60-watt high beam.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On a side note, check the voltage to the headlight to be sure you're getting a solid 12v or slightly higher. You might just need a relay to your current headlight. Doesn't hurt to check.

Comment

Thanks again for all the helpful information. My headlight works fine currently, I just wanted one that was a little brighter (and not yellow). Thanks for the suggestion though of checking the voltage.

j razz

Comment

Working...
                            X