Cdi ghosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cdi ghosts

I have an 82 GS550L.... the CDI box went out last fall........I found a used one this spring on Ebay for $100....... seller said it was working when he removed it......... Once installed it would fire the 1st 2 cylinders......but not the last 2.... when reversed....it would fire last 2 but not the 1st 2......Can a CDI partially work?... or do I have some other Ghost....... and/or is there someway to test the CDI....

Secondly......I thought I saw last fall a link to a manufacturer who mde a replacement for the Suzuki CDI that was better the the OEM..... but I do not s it now........

What are you calling the 'first two' and the 'last two' cylinders?
    The firing order is 1 - 2 - 4 - 3. If the ignitor is firing the 'first two' cylinders, that would be #1 and #2.
    They are on different coils, so both sides of the ignitor (what you are calling a CDI box) must be working.

Do you have the coils going to the correct plugs?
    The left coil is usually connected to plugs 1&4, the right coil is connected to 2&3.

A possibility on your aftermarket supplier ... Dyna.
    You may need other parts to go along with the Dyna system, but someone else will have to give details on that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I am remembering correctly he'll need a mechanical advance off an earlier bike to install the Dyna S. The mechaican advance went away with the 82 model.

Comment

Thanks, doc. I knew there was something necessary, but since I have not had to do that, I wasn't sure.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry... I know just enough to be dangerous.... My Mechanic says it will fire 2 cylinders.... but not the other 2...which it is or isnt.... Im not sure...but when he switches the wiring...it will fire the opposite 2.... but not the 1st ones... SO it seems both coils are working properly... but it just wont fire both sides like it should......

I did order a used wiring harness from a dealer in Texas....should have it in a few day......(I did this because when "The Box" failed last fall, there were some burnt wires in the harness.... he repaired what he could find, but now I wonder if there could be more....so to eliminate that....I ordered the harness

Now one other thing to mention......when I bought "The Box" it was off an 81...mine is an 82........ but even a Suzuki dealer told me it would interchange........and ......the wiring harness I just ordered if off of an 81 also........

And thanks about the info on Dyna...... I thought that was it....... I might have to look into that if all else fails.....

Comment

I am not by ANY means the expert on this, BUT I think the 82 would have the advance built into the igniter where the 81 would not because the 81 still had a mechanical advance on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              I am not by ANY means the expert on this, BUT I think the 82 would have the advance built into the igniter where the 81 would not because the 81 still had a mechanical advance on the bike.
              that is correct. '82 built in, '80-'81 mechanical advance.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

See if you can get your money back! Buy a Dyna ign & get a 80-81 ign advance unit from big I 4

Comment

Working...
                X