No announcement yet.

I need Moly 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, Napa is in South Africa, just the color of the sign is green and black.
    Missed that he was in SA, so go to a car dealer and buy a pack of Ujoint grease, the stuff that is used for inside the boots on the front of cars.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      Do you have any ATV dealers ? Look for Polaris Premium U-joint grease
      3 0z grease gun type tube. High molly grease
      Lynn,
      Thanks I will look at this. In actual fact I have high moly grease for CV joints, but it is very liquid and not as sticky as the Moly 60 and very messy. I have browsed this on the Internet quite a bit and it seems as if there is a lot of debate and views , but most are sure that Honda Moly 60 will work and others may or may not be so good and an expensive repair later will be the deciding factor. So I would rather use the right stuff here if possible.
      Thanks for the tip anyway, its appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        Hi Andre. I purchased a 50g tube from Suzuki in Australia. Part number 99000-25140. Cost $14.50. I have a spare tube I can send to you if you like. I don't need to use the moly yet, until I am putting the camshafts back in. I can order another one. No Probs.

Let me know.
        Don,
        Thanks for the offer. There is a possibility that I may get sorted, if not I will definitely take you up on that if you do not mind. Its quite amazing that it cannot be found on ebay at all. I see people are recommending CV joint moly, which is very liquid and messes a lot. I was wondering if any long term experience on that gives a similar result for these splines.
        Maybe a tip when you do yours, I saw a picture of a BMW where the actual driveshaft spline into the final drive was badly worn and they claimed that this grease should preferably be used on that spline as well.
        Keep well.

Comment

i was fortunate that the good guys at a local shop actually use the proper paste, 50+% molybdenum + graphite, very thick and dark grey in color
          they just gave me as much as i needed for the wheel splines
          the smallest quantity that i could buy at the engineers supply shop was $40
          Last edited by psyguy; 07-25-2008, 03:23 AM.
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            i was fortunate that the good guys at a local shop actually use the proper paste, 50+% molybdenum + graphite, very thick and dark grey in color
            they just gave me as much as i needed for the wheel splines
            the smallest quantity that i could buy at the engineers supply shop was $40
            psyguy,
            I think this is one hidden area where one should use proper lubrication it seems. Someone mentioned that we should check this everytime we remove the back wheel or keep a spare set of splines!
            Apparently BMW has a type made by Castrol that contains alluminium as well.

I heard this little gem the other day:
            Your bike is your most prize prossession, you can drive her hard, but do not abuse her. Service her regularly, if she needs maintenance do not procrastinate, buy her the best parts and products when needed. Do not let other riders ride her. Give her a nice protected home to sleep in at night. Clean and dress her well, show her off to the other riders and they will envy you.
            She will then show her appreciation by giving you long and good service for many years and be ready for a long trip at any time.

There was a comment from someone: He sounds just like my marriage counsellor!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
              Don,
              Thanks for the offer. There is a possibility that I may get sorted, if not I will definitely take you up on that if you do not mind. Its quite amazing that it cannot be found on ebay at all. I see people are recommending CV joint moly, which is very liquid and messes a lot. I was wondering if any long term experience on that gives a similar result for these splines.
              Maybe a tip when you do yours, I saw a picture of a BMW where the actual driveshaft spline into the final drive was badly worn and they claimed that this grease should preferably be used on that spline as well.
              Keep well.
              Sorry Andre but I don't have shaft drive. I am one of the poor people that can only afford a chain drive cycle. yes the Norton Dominator found a good home with a Kiwi in the Sunshine State of Queensland in our "hot" northern part of Australia. The 650 forks are going in the '77 550B frame and I am putting twin piston calipers on each side and my plan is to use CBR900R discs which will bolt up to my front wheel hub. Bit of overkill on a 550, but I'll know it will handle and stop. Cheers. let me know if I can help out.

Picture of the product I am talking about with special instructions attached for our South African GS members. Cheers.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Don,
                Is that moly paste also very sticky like Honda's sort of like jam?
                Thanks
                Andre

Comment

Yes Andre just like jam and very, very, slippery.

Comment

Don,
                    Is that moly paste also very sticky like Honda's sort of like jam?
                    cant you read on the instructions?!
                    GS850GT

Comment

cant you read on the instructions?!
                      I think Don purposely put that there!

Don,
                      Thanks for the test and the pictures. The instructions says to use sparingly and wisely. Also to think good thoughts while using it for best results.

Regards
                      Andre
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 05:11 AM.

Comment

package sent...
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          package sent...
                          rustybronco,
                          Thanks a million! The most helpfull people are to be found on this forum!
                          Really appreciated.

Comment

psyguy,
                            I think this is one hidden area where one should use proper lubrication it seems. Someone mentioned that we should check this everytime we remove the back wheel or keep a spare set of splines!
                            Apparently BMW has a type made by Castrol that contains alluminium as well.

I heard this little gem the other day:
                            Your bike is your most prize prossession, you can drive her hard, but do not abuse her. Service her regularly, if she needs maintenance do not procrastinate, buy her the best parts and products when needed. Do not let other riders ride her. Give her a nice protected home to sleep in at night. Clean and dress her well, show her off to the other riders and they will envy you.
                            She will then show her appreciation by giving you long and good service for many years and be ready for a long trip at any time.

There was a comment from someone: He sounds just like my marriage counsellor!
                            Matchless, it is VERY VERY important that you lube those splines with moly 60, and check it every time you change your tires if not sooner. And, I dunno what model your bike is, but if they did in SA like they did here, Mid-81 and up shafties have pi$$ poor metal in the spline coupler on the rear wheel. If you have the means, and your bike falls into these years, try to find a 79-80 spline from an 850 or 1000G, ORR, buy a NEW ONE from bike bandit. They continued to use that design in other Suzuki bikes after the GS ( i think the VX800 used that same spline coupler, as well as the mighty GSX1100G) and they improved the metal quality in later years. NEW ones are just as good and hard as the 79-80 from what i hear. If ya dont...they might end up lookin like this

Ive now replaced TWO of these couplers in less than 7k miles. I now have a 79 gear in there, so I think im ok finally, thanks to Brian Wringer....wheeew

TCK

Comment

hey tck, the splines on that pic are as rare as hens teeth
                              GS850GT

Comment

hey tck, the splines on that pic are as rare as hens teeth
                                I know! Whats more sad is that those are TWO DIFFERENT couplers of the same bike!!! LOL. Guess i need to quit doing wheelies on this old shaftie*

Say, did i ever send you the shipping quote for that stator cover or did you still need it??

Comment

Working...
                                X