Where To Find Shims 82 GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where To Find Shims 82 GS1100G

is there anyway someone can give me a idea how much shims would cost and maybe where i can pick some up. I am down to my bike for transpertation to from work and need to adjust vavles im pretty sure since changing oil i hear more top end noise i hope im not hurting the bike riding to work and back it's runs strong when i let off gas it backfires not real sure but thats due to vavles needing corrected yes. any help would be apreshated
    Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2008, 10:54 PM.

Most dealers will have them. There is also z1enterprises for a shim kit as per bikecliff's intro. You can also do a search for shims in the technical forum for additional info on shims.

Have you gone through the carb cleaning instructions also found on bikecliff's webpage? That should help also.

Comment

Originally posted by Riding Again View Post
      Most dealers will have them. There is also z1enterprises for a shim kit as per bikecliff's intro. You can also do a search for shims in the technical forum for additional info on shims.

Have you gone through the carb cleaning instructions also found on bikecliff's webpage? That should help also.
      Z1 also sells SINGLE shims if you KNOW what sizes you need, so you dont have to buy the entire kit. Z1 is also generally cheaper for individual shims than your dealer. I think they are around 5.25 each, where MY dealers wanted between 7-10 bucks each.

Comment

When you end up getting your shims, make SURE you get shims for a Suzuki, not a Yamaha or Kawasaki.

I say that because with dealers handling multiple brands, parts that look similar might be grouped together. Yamaha and Kawasaki shims are 29.0 mm in diameter, Suzuki shims are 29.5 mm in diameter. Yeah, it's not much of a difference, but you don't want to use the wrong ones.

Since you are getting ready to do your valves, toss an e-mail in my direction (click on my name for the address) and I will send you a copy of my spreadsheet that helps you with the math and shim inventory.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve will do. yes i have started with new coils with mod relay putting new intake O-Rings carbs have been dipped and put back together new o-rings and all the back fire has got me but i think once i get vavles adjusted the backfire will smooth out. Thanks to basscliff's pages they have helped alot

Comment

Would a GS1100G be adjusters not shims?

Suzuki mad

Comment

Shims......
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I say that because with dealers handling multiple brands, parts that look similar might be grouped together. Yamaha and Kawasaki shims are 29.0 mm in diameter, Suzuki shims are 29.5 mm in diameter. Yeah, it's not much of a difference, but you don't want to use the wrong ones.
                afaik, both kaw and suzuki use 29.5 mm shims. i wasn't aware that there was a 29.0 mm shim.

Comment

Working...
                X