Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backfiring, with LOTS of detail... Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I remember you saying that your intake boot o-rings were a little tight and you had to stretch them to get them on? Prolly wrong model and maybe replace with the right ones? Just wondering if you fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Somewhere about '82 or '83 the ignition advance was built into the ignitor.
      That would be in '82 for the gs850g.

how did the diaphrams look?
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Diaphragms looked great. I did check for holes or tears and their was nothing.

The o-ring on the boots were small. They ended up being able to be stretched and are currently installed.

Comment

Just a thought. The air filter should be lightly oiled - and they do mean lightly. I thought I had gotten most of the oil out of mine, but the bike ran lousy until I took the filter back out and squeezed the life out of it, removing as much oil as possible. The filter still needs to be porous enough to let lots of air thru.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
            Just a thought. The air filter should be lightly oiled - and they do mean lightly. I thought I had gotten most of the oil out of mine, but the bike ran lousy until I took the filter back out and squeezed the life out of it, removing as much oil as possible. The filter still needs to be porous enough to let lots of air thru.

What I did with my filter, because I didn't know, is put about two tablespoons of engine oil in my hands and rubbed it in. There is definitely not enough oil to squeeze out, but just damp.

Since we are talking about the filter, how does it sit in the box. It is just a foam filter. There is no housing like shown in my manual. Which way is it supposed to sit?

What is the breather hose for on the left side of the airbox for? How is the hose supposed to hook up?

Comment

Timing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only timing that can be done for this bike is with the chain? Can I advance/retard the timing? Could this even be my problem?

Could the PO have changed the jets on me? Hmmm...

Comment

Posted by Skyboy8950:
                Since we are talking about the filter, how does it sit in the box. It is just a foam filter. There is no housing like shown in my manual. Which way is it supposed to sit?

This sounds like it could be a big part of the problem. Are you saying there is no wire cage that the foam filter fits over? This needs to be in there and slid and clipped into place, or else the filter wont seal up against the air intake. You're likely sucking in too much (unfiltered) air. These bikes are notorious for not running right without the airbox and filter sealed up properly.

I would locate a filter housing before I spent any more time troubleshooting.

Comment

Interesting...

I noticed that there were two clips (facing inward) on one end of the box and one clip (facing outward) at the very end pointing out the side. Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like when installed? I saw one on here a while ago without a cage but I cannot find it now. Where would you suggest I get a housing?
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                    Interesting...

I noticed that there were two clips (facing inward) on one end of the box and one clip (facing outward) at the very end pointing out the side. Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like when installed? I saw one on here a while ago without a cage but I cannot find it now. Where would you suggest I get a housing?
                    Here's a link to my airbox fix-up pics. I think there's some difference between my '81 and your '82, but I'm not sure how much. There's a number of guys on here with '82's that probably know - Basscliff springs to mind). Anyway, there's a filter cage in a couple of the pics.

Someone might have said it already, but these bikes (and the 850's in particular, I've read) are fussy about intake pressure, so getting your airbox sorted is a worthy way to spend some time on this backfiring issue. Then readjust the mixture and re-test.

Comment

1982 gs850g... a little different than 80-81, mostly in the way it is screwed to the air box

Last edited by rustybronco; 07-28-2008, 03:36 PM.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Bunny,

Those were the pictures I was thinking about. Yea, I'm just missing the cage I guess. Does that wire mesh come with it? I just have a long hole from the lower chamber to the upper chamber.

Now I just need to find one... Are they common? Special order? Do they exist?

Comment

So what I found out was this:

I have to buy the stock air filter for ~$50 to get a new filter and a cage.

- OR -

I can buy pods, a 4-1, and a jet kit for ~$500, which I want to do anyway (maybe).

Please check out my post HERE and let me know what I should do!?!?

Comment

So what I found out was this:

I have to buy the stock air filter for ~$50 to get a new filter and a cage.

- OR -

I can buy pods, a 4-1, and a jet kit for ~$500, which I want to do anyway (maybe).

Please check out my post HERE and let me know what I should do!?!?
                            Skyboy, I have to interject here to say that you really need to consider what exactly you want out of this bike before you proceed with pods and a pipe. 850s are notorious for being "buzzy" bikes if the carbs and valves are not PERFECT. Unfortunately, its damn near impossible, even with a jet kit, to get pods PERFECT in all throttle stages. It will require ALOT (and I mean ALOT) of patience and tuning to get them this way, and CONSTANT tuning to keep them that way. Pods make the bikes more succeptable to temperature and atmospheric changes. If you want a 4into1, it can be done without pods with great success. Pods throw an entirely different set of circumstances and variables into tuning a bike. My suggestion, buy a new air filter (even a drop in K&N for it!) and get your fourinto-one with a DynoJet Stage I kit designed for your bike. I think you will be most pleased.

Comment

CafeKid,

I see what you are saying. I like what you are saying, but for my bike, there is only a stage 3 kit. Craiger said that he has a K&N drop in and a 4-1 pipe and that it runs very well. Very tempting. Yes, the tuning part could be bothersome, not to mention I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to "tuning".

Well, just more to consider.

Comment

CafeKid,

I see what you are saying. I like what you are saying, but for my bike, there is only a stage 3 kit. Craiger said that he has a K&N drop in and a 4-1 pipe and that it runs very well. Very tempting. Yes, the tuning part could be bothersome, not to mention I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to "tuning".

Well, just more to consider.
                                Nothing to consider...the Stage I kit is included in the Stage III kit I suggest trying it this way, perhaps with the KN drop-in, then if you arent satisfied, you can attempt pods as well. I think that you will be quite pleased with the results of just the pipe and drop in plus the kit. BTW, I have a NICE VH four-into-one im selling for a little less than 2/3s new. Its a pretty good looking pipe, nearly new. PM if interested.

Comment

Working...
                                X