oil leak how easy to fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak how easy to fix

Ok here we go heres the problem I got the bike through the MOT so she is legally on the road. Took her for a ride last thursday and all was well. However when I arrived at work the next morning the security pointed out that there was a lot of oil coming from the front of the engine I beleave its the head gasket that gas gone also at the very bottom of the fins there is another gasket and this seems to be leaking too so my question is
    1, How easy is it to replace this myself? (cant afford the prices of a garage)
    2, Is there anything I need to be really carefull about?
    3, How long will it take?
    4, What else should I check for while im there?
    5, Whats the best way to remove the carbon deposits from the pistons?
    6, How much will new poston rings cost?
    7, How much for the piston removal tool?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Hard, no...time consuming, yes. Rings may not be needed however if I pull something down that far, I re-ring and hone them. Sounds like the first (top) leak is the valve cover or head leak. The bottom one is the cylinder or base gasket.

Check your compression first, that will at least give you an idea where things are at. Look at it this way: You will probably need to adjust the valves anyway so while your at it; do it all.

Comment

Thanks dave do you know where I could get a step by step guide to do this job from? I have been told that I will need to remove the cams and that the chance of it being done right (without going to a garage) is very low. Been told loads of stories about what happens if it goes wrong. and I really dont want to trash my engine

Comment

Get a Clymer manual, it shows how to do it.
        BassCliff's site may also have a manual available to download.

You may also try retorquing the head first.

It's real easy, all ya gotta do is....

Comment

You won't "trash" anything if you are careful and can read. The best thing to do would be to pick a manual, specific to your bike. They can be ordered on line, otherwise check out Basscliff's website, don't remember if it's there in detail.

Comment

cheers dave i'm gunna bite the bullet and get started as soon as I have a couple of days off work. I have got a workshop manual from the internet its on cdrom though so will have to print it out will let you know what the out come is

Comment

I would sugest washing the enging off first & verify where it is leaking
              Could just be the cam cover Or even the cam chain tensioner

Comment

BE CAREFUL!!!

When I first took the head off, I was careful to remove the cam bearing caps. Even though I was careful, I snapped 5 bolts off in the head. $100 and a few days at the machine shop, they were out. It can be fixed, but it is expensive.

When loosening the bolts, tap them a bit. That seems to help loosen them up a bit. Put some penetrating oil on them. Then go SLOW!!!

Best of luck!

Comment

Clean the engine and find where the leak is before going any farther. A common leak is from the tachometer cable take-off on some models. The parts cost $20 or so, and the repair takes about a half hour.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by rsb View Post
                    Ok here we go heres the problem I got the bike through the MOT so she is legally on the road. Took her for a ride last thursday and all was well. However when I arrived at work the next morning the security pointed out that there was a lot of oil coming from the front of the engine I beleave its the head gasket that gas gone also at the very bottom of the fins there is another gasket and this seems to be leaking too so my question is
                    1, How easy is it to replace this myself? (cant afford the prices of a garage)
                    2, Is there anything I need to be really carefull about?
                    3, How long will it take?
                    4, What else should I check for while im there?
                    Thanks in advance for your advice
                    1.a you don't know what is leaking yet, so we can't tell you if it's easy or not.
                    1.b I don't think there is a great need to buy a garage. a lot of people have successfully worked on motorcycles without one.
                    2. yeh, spending money on parts you don't need.
                    3. same as answer #1.a
                    4. check to see if you have enough cash for parts/machining/tools you may not need.

same as what some others have said... clean it off, fire it, find where the leak appears to be coming from and take some pictures, then post them up for all to see.
                    Deal?
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                    X