78 GS 550 stalls at stops - Im a new mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 550 stalls at stops - Im a new mechanic

Background -1978 GS 550, bought two weeks ago, running well. Since then changed oil (and pan), changed clutch cable, when I first got it my friend adjusted the idle down, hasn't been a problem until now.
    The bike has 4-1 headers and I believe the air box was replaced with pod filters, there are 4 cheap looking filters on the carb. I get a rattle (like tin pans tapping together on a bumpy road) at 6k rpms, I think it needs a valve adjust. I'm sure there is more to tell, but thats what I know for now.

Problem - When I pull to a stop in gear with the clutch in, it will idle down and die. If I switch gears to neutral, it holds it's idle better, but will still sometimes die.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Just read the next post
    Last edited by cloudbreakmd; 07-29-2008, 04:24 PM. Reason: Because I didn't realize it only when clutched at idle.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Let's try this;

1. It's seen like you need to adjust your clutch a bit more. It is not engage all the way in.
      2. Adjust the idle a little higher when the bike is in neutral.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Oh hum.....

Originally posted by markdjr View Post
        Background -1978 GS 550, bought two weeks ago, running well. Since then changed oil (and pan), changed clutch cable, when I first got it my friend adjusted the idle down, hasn't been a problem until now.
        The bike has 4-1 headers and I believe the air box was replaced with pod filters, there are 4 cheap looking filters on the carb. I get a rattle (like tin pans tapping together on a bumpy road) at 6k rpms, I think it needs a valve adjust. I'm sure there is more to tell, but thats what I know for now.Mark
        Do the oposite of what you friend did and raise the idle so the bike runs. Should be about 1200rpm

Originally posted by markdjr View Post

Problem - When I pull to a stop in gear with the clutch in, it will idle down and die. If I switch gears to neutral, it holds it's idle better, but will still sometimes die.

Thanks for any help.

Mark
        Left hand side of the bike is a small cover just above the gear change. Remove the cover and you will see a lock nut and a slotted threaded bar. Loosen the lock nut and turn the bar about 1/4 of a turn. See if that improves the gear changing with the clutch cable. If its too much then turn it back the 1/4 turn and adjust it on the handle bar end using the large knerled nut and the smaller one. You should have about 2mm of free play from the lever at rest and the clutch starting to bite.

Suzuki mad

Comment

So it looks like it was probably a combination of two things.

At stop with clutch in, while in first gear, the bike did pull forward a little, so it's probably not fully engaged.

Also, I am having problems with my battery/charging system (go figure?), and my battery just died, so it was probably just not supplying enough juice for the low idle.

Thanks a lot for all who replied, this is a really great resource full of good and knowledgeable people. I am really enjoying learning about my new/first bike.

Comment

Working...
          X