Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stumped by turn signals

The bike is a 1982 GS850G.

I have had the bike since 7/4/08. I have a number of things resolved but I am stumped on turn signals. The bike had no turn signals and a recently replaced turn signal switch (on handle bar). I put some Katana turn signals on it. They light but do not flash.

I have been through grounds till the cows have come home.

I have put in new 1156 bulbs all around.

I have even been looking at the wiring diagram, in color no less. Everything looks on the money.

I have tried a different handle bar switch, no impact whatsoever.

I have tried both thermal and electronic flashers. No turn signal lights at all with them. I have tried the flasher from another 82 850G and I had no lights at all with that either.

So please tell me a way out of this dark and lonely tunnel.

DPEP, you have to know the answer. Speak now and let me see a little light!!

Hi Mr. rgierer,

Does this help at all?

Turn Signal Relay Replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Man...sounds like you've covered everything that I would have mentioned. There has to be an easy explination, guess we'll both have to wait to find the answer.

EDIT...or at least let Cliff beat me to a now useless post, but hey...it was my 2,000th worthless post, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by rgierer View Post
        The bike is a 1982 GS850G.

The bike had no turn signals and a recently replaced turn signal switch (on handle bar). I put some Katana turn signals on it. They light but do not flash.

I have tried both thermal and electronic flashers. No turn signal lights at all with them. I have tried the flasher from another 82 850G and I had no lights at all with that either.
        with all three methods they light but don't flash, correct or not?

have you substituted the turn signal control unit (not the flasher) from the other '82 g
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

They only light with my original flasher. I will follow basscliffs suggestions and see if I score.

It has been most confusing and troubling.

Comment

Find the shop manual for a '82 850-1100 it will tell you how to test the t/s control unit or grab the one from your '82 1100g.

did you replace the turn signal switch with the correct one?
            why did you replace the left hand (turn signal) switch?

Comment

If you need a self-cancel box I have one.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have blinked by wiring in the electronic flasher

Comment

Please explain.

Comment

I am pretty sure you need to use 21W single pole bulbs in the turn signals, If you use the 1156 it is too many watts and the system won't work. You will need the electronic flasher. the turnsignals come back to a single ground, front and rear, take this ground back to your battery or a new ground on the frame and bypass the autocancel box that should resolve your issue.

Comment

My turn signals come on and stay on without flashing if my battery is weak. Have you checked the condition of your battery?

Comment

Could possibly be connected to the wrong wire. I think there's a brown wire used for parking lights and a solid gray wire for the signals. Are you connected to the gray wire for left and right signals? Another is a gray with black stripe. I think that's the ground wire.

Of course, I'm going merely by memory....but I did replace my signals and signal relay recently (with an electronic).

Comment

[quote=rgierer;869818]The bike is a 1982 GS850G.

I have had the bike since 7/4/08. I have a number of things resolved but I am stumped on turn signals. The bike had no turn signals and a recently replaced turn signal switch (on handle bar). I put some Katana turn signals on it. They light but do not flash.

I have bee

the relay costs about 15$ denis kirk

Comment

Originally posted by siddd View Post

the relay costs about 15$ denis kirk
                            I got my electronic relay at Advance Auto (US parts store) for $8.

Comment

My turn signals work, but my day time running lights on the front do not light up.

I have a 1980 GS1100 L, are the running lights supposed to be on?
                              Victor Kolb
                              '80 GS1100L - :(
                              '85 GS550L - :(
                              '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
                              '02 BMW R1150 RT - gone as well
                              '15 Triumph Bonneville NewChurch
                              '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

Working...
                              X