Oil Pressure Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure Drop

I just recently installed an oil pressure gauge and an oil cooler on my 79 GS 750. Hook up went just fine.

Started it up last night and everything worked fine (had about 7 psi at start up and then around 3 at idle).

I just took it for a drive and I got about 6 to 8 psi when accelerating and then 3 at idle. Then I noticed my oil light flickering at idle and at gear changes. Then at idle my oil pressure dropped down to about .5 psi, but would go up when I accelerated.

Any idea what might be causing this? I do have a small leak where one of the nipples screws into the adapter. I am not sure how much leaked but with the bike on the stand there is plenty of oil, but I could be little low considering the cooler and lines store some oil too.

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Hi Mr. ryonker,

Where is your idle set? If the idle too low it might trigger the pressure sensor.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's at about 1000 rpms. But I will turn it up a little and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Comment

But thinking about it, the pressure sensor light lights up when my pressure gauge also shows low pressure (.5 to 1 psi). So that is working as it should, right?

Comment

I just added a little oil and started it up. It actually idles just fine around 1300 rpms. But at 1300 rpms the pressure is really low (about 1 psi) and the light comes on.

But (with the bike sitting in neutral) I rev the engine to 2000 rpms and the psi goes up to about 3, and the light goes off.

The funny thing is that this didn't happen until I took it for a test drive. I let it run for a while last night with no problem, and at initial start up today the psi was very acceptable.

Comment

What oil are you running? If it's a bit warm over there you might be better with 20-50.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I am running amsoil 20w 50.

Comment

As an addendum...prior to installing the cooler, my oil light has never come on.

I am sure there is a reason. But I am not running it with questionable oil pressure...so I may be getting rid of my adaptor and cooler unless I can fugure this out.

Comment

how much oil did you add? those coolers will hold a quart or so.. your oil level will seem fine when you measure it, but when you start the bike and get the oil really circulating, a quart is gonna be in the cooler, creating lower pressure everywhere else.

Comment

Oil Cooler

The oil cooler (depending on how you routed it) will reduce oil pressure some. Apparently it did just enough to trigger your pressure switch.

What did you use as a pressure switch plate/block?

Posplayr

Comment

Not even close to a quart. Maybe that's my problem. I just wasn't sure how to determine the amount.

Any thoughts? Nessism suggested running the engine then pinching the hoses. I am not sure how hard I want to pinch them though.

Should I just keep adding and see if it raises the oil pressure?

Comment

Just a thought, if you placed the cooler below the height of the crankcase I am assuming its connected with rubber hose. And checked the oil level while on the center stand, the oil should flow into the cooler and you would be able
                        to see how it affects the crankcase level. Then add oil to the normal level this would let you know how much oil the cooler and hoses take. When you lift the cooler on to its mounts the crankcase would show high till you ran the motor. Just thinking.

Comment

stop, don't run it. adding oil won't raise the pressure.
                          You have to excuse me I don't know 750's, but where is the tap for the oil cooler lines, on the rear of the engines like the 2v 850's, under the pressure switch?
                          where are you tapping the oil pressure gauge at?

***edit*** http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...448#post846448
                          Last edited by rustybronco; 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

If your block-off plate is like the one that I just helped install on TheCafeKid's 1100, there is a place to put your pressure sensor assembly. However, it appears to me that the whole concept of the pressure sensor is that pressure will cause it to move away from the electrical contacts that turn on the light. If the bore into which the sensor mounts is a bit larger in diameter, oil will flow around it more easily, instead of pushing it away from the contacts. This could be why your light is coming on. Although the block-off plate is a quality piece of work, the specs might be just a bit different from stock.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My oil pressure gauge comes off the side of the crankcase---it's one of those from Bruce.

Yes, Steve, my oil plate adaptor is exacly like the one you installed for Cafekid.

Why would the pressure start off ok and then become a problem (if it's not the oil cooler using up more of the oil?)

Steve, what should I check then?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X