tire wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire wobble

ok, so the tech yesterday informed me that the front tire on my bike had a tube in it.. we don't know why :P on top of that, the tube appeared to be filled with fix a flat?!

anyhow, he removed the tube, mounted and balanced the tire and checked for bread leaks.. none. it does, however, have a left to right wobble. I had noticed this before, but the tire wheel didn't appear to be balanced before, so i chalked it up to speed wobble.

it's not noticable at all untill 75+ MPH ( which i rarely do )

so my question is this:

can i leave it as is without any issues relating to damage to other parts or the tire? i really don't have the cash for another wheel right now, so it's either ride it as is, or park it for the season.

opinions?

Are you sure it's tire/wheel related? Possible bearings?

Comment

If the wheel is out of true there is a not a lot you can do with MAGS as far as I know.... New wheels come up cheap all the time though, there are so many fronts you can use I bet you'd get one for $20....
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        Are you sure it's tire/wheel related? Possible bearings?
        well, the wheel is all he had.. the bearings and axle were not on the wheel

Comment

Put the bike on the center stand and throw some weight on the seat. (enough to raise the front end off the ground) Spin the wheel and check for run-out, play in the bearings, ect.

Comment

'm not sure what runout is. but there's no play in the bearings, nor in the steering head bearings.

the wheel is balanced fine, untill it's up to high rpm in which case it's still balanced but wobbles about a quater inch side to side. the wheel itself is slightly bent, i don't know the history of it, it could have been in an accident.

Comment

Yep sounds like it's been hit or jumped on or something..... I would try to find a good used replacement, someone on here must have one for Cheap.

Tommlc or Renobruce have parted plenty of bikes, maybe they have one in the garage/barn but closer to you would be better, they are heavy!

The runout is that 1/4" movement side to side you are talking about....

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

ah alright. but it only does that at speeds of 70+ mph.. solid as a rock when i grab it and try to shimmy it back and forth.

bleh. that means another 25 dollars to have this tire re-mounted >< i wish i had the tools to do it myself!

Comment

"E" forks on it, bent wheel.
                  sounds like it's been whacked in the front.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

This wheel should fit yours & should be a little closer....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

i appreciate the input on finding a new wheel, but i am litterally broke right now

will riding it back and forth to school ( 'bout 10 miles round trip ) for a month or so hurt it?

Comment

It will probably be Ok. BUT no one can be sure. Attach a stiff wire to the fork leg & point it very close to the wheel bead. turn the wheel slowly keeping an eye on the gap to check the runout. A bad tire could cause the problem too.. especially if it is not seated completely on the rim

Comment

If it did it with the old tyre too as you suggest it's likely to be the wheel. Well worth doing Lynn's check.

You can also tape a pencil to a box or similar at the same height as the tyre rim & weight it with something heavy. As you turn the wheel if the rim moves the pencil should mark it where it moves towards the pencil. Same test, different method.

Check the tyre bead looks even all the way around too, you should be able to see if it's not seated properly by eye.

If the tyre is seated properly & bearings are ok I would think it will be ok for a month but take it easy, if it starts a wobble at 70+ don't go anywhere near there......
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Man, if you could make it to Indy, this wouldn't be a problem... got a wheel and all the tire changing stuff right here.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Man, if you could make it to Indy, this wouldn't be a problem... got a wheel and all the tire changing stuff right here.
                              Ditto for the Chicago 'burbs...
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                              X