Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Questions on GS1100GK I just picked up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A second thing to look at is the fuse box itself. They can get VERY dirty inside and this causes them to get hot, which increases the resistance, and that blows the fuses.

Even though the wiring on both input and output was OK, one of my GS boxes melted due to this problem. On the plus side, the melting made it pretty easy to identify the problem area.

There should be a slide panel at the back of the box. Pop off the connector, unscrew the retaining bolt, open the fuse box and look at the brass pieces and see if both the fuse contacts and the connector contacts are good or not.

NOTE

Place a sheet of plastic under the area before you do this. As with anything containing small parts, there is always the chance of dropping and losing one of said parts.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks yet again for more good ideas. This bike is very low mileage (less than 21,000) so at least externally the fuse box looks good. I'll check it out as well, but haven't had a chance to do anything since posting this thread. I'll let you all know what I find out when I find it out!

By the way, the jingling noise is definitely coming from somewhere inside the can, though I have no idea where. I'm not going to worry about that until I've got the bike running properly. I still haven't decided whether to keep the GK and sell the G or just turn the GK around and sell it quickly once it's running. The G is definitely a much nicer bike "right now," but me thinks the GK has more long term potential. I'll figure it out once I'm able to take it for a ride and see how she handles, etc...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
        Thanks yet again for more good ideas. This bike is very low mileage (less than 21,000) so at least externally the fuse box looks good. I'll check it out as well, but haven't had a chance to do anything since posting this thread. I'll let you all know what I find out when I find it out!

By the way, the jingling noise is definitely coming from somewhere inside the can, though I have no idea where. I'm not going to worry about that until I've got the bike running properly. I still haven't decided whether to keep the GK and sell the G or just turn the GK around and sell it quickly once it's running. The G is definitely a much nicer bike "right now," but me thinks the GK has more long term potential. I'll figure it out once I'm able to take it for a ride and see how she handles, etc...

Regards,
        Steve, if you ever decide to sell the GK, lemme know, I may be in the market for one to fix up the one im getting back to stock, or vice verse. Depending on the asking price, it may be worth it to me. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Steve, if you ever decide to sell the GK, lemme know, I may be in the market for one to fix up the one im getting back to stock, or vice verse. Depending on the asking price, it may be worth it to me. Just a thought...
          Will keep that in mind. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you are thinking...

Regards,

Comment

Steve,

- You liked the GK seat so much you bought an entire GK ? ?

- This a complete GK with fairing, bags, trunk ectera?

- Exhaust,... no, mufflers dont come off. The #1 and the #4 exhaust are one piece all the way from the head exhust port all the way to end of muffler.
            Oh, wait, did you say if the exhaust is stock or not?

- Here is a way to trouble shoot a dead short that blows the fuse. Get a 12volt light like a turn signal or brake light with a socket and wires. Take one of your blown fuses (blade fuses) and cut away the plastic corners so can solder a wire onto each of the blades. Or maybe just crimp on flate balde connectors on the ends of wires. This way then can plug in this light in place of the fuse, so when short to ground occurs, then instead of blowing fuse, all that happens is the light lights (and the light bulb limits the current so wiring isnt burning). Can then troubleshoot by wiggle wires, or disconnect devices and see when the short clears (light goes out). I described this to JonR and he tried it, but the short to ground never occured while he was doing it. I had one made up for the glass type fuses but havent had need of one since I have bike (GK) with the blade fuses.

Last edited by Redman; 08-13-2008, 08:27 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Ok ... update:

Unplugged the stater wires (all three) and proceeded to take the bike for a short ride around the neighborhood (ATGATT, of course) with no blown main fuse (and I purposely used a 10amp rather than the specified 15amp), so I know the problem involves the stator. Now I just have to trace the harness back and see whether there is a shorted wire or whether the stator is actually bad. Either way I've found the base cause of the main fuse failure.

I've also discovered in riding this bike that the driveline is MUCH tighter than the one on my "G." Shifts are much smoother and it's easier to find neutral than on the '83. This makes my decision as to which bike to keep and which to sell harder. The '83 "G" is still the much nicer bike, but the lower mileage of the '82 would seem to make it mechanically the bike I might want to stick with, even though the aesthetics have a long way to go.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Steve,

- You liked the GK seat so much you bought an entire GK ? ?

- This a complete GK with fairing, bags, trunk ectera?
                Funny how the world works, eh? Ironically the seat on this GK is probably it's worst feature ... the pan is rusted badly (gone in some places) and the cover is ripped in several places as well. I'm almost afraid to remove the duct tape holding it together, hehe!

Lot's of potential, though!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                  Ok ... update:

Unplugged the stater wires (all three) and proceeded to take the bike for a short ride around the neighborhood (ATGATT, of course) with no blown main fuse (and I purposely used a 10amp rather than the specified 15amp), so I know the problem involves the stator.
                  No, with the stator un-plugged, current is not flowing through either the stator or the r/r. (no heat is being produced in the stator or r/r)
                  making it not possible to check if either one is shorting under those conditions.
                  connect the stator back up, waste a fuse, then check the stator as per stator pages. if it checks out ok, condemn the r/r.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Man, you've got a habit...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Man, you've got a habit...
                      What?? Me?? Sorry I get bored quickly. I just sold the 1100G today, taking delivery of Grandpas GK Saturday, and will be looking for a bandit or something of the like. Figured I could maybe fix the GK up over the winter, make her look purty again. Who knows... Can ya blame me?

Comment

What?? Me?? Sorry I get bored quickly. I just sold the 1100G today, taking delivery of Grandpas GK Saturday, and will be looking for a bandit or something of the like. Figured I could maybe fix the GK up over the winter, make her look purty again. Who knows... Can ya blame me?
                        Can't say as I can blame you, really.

Maybe one of these days I'll be wandering home with a nice bonus in my pockets at about the time you get bored with one of your toys!
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          No, with the stator un-plugged, current is not flowing through either the stator or the r/r. (no heat is being produced in the stator or r/r)
                          making it not possible to check if either one is shorting under those conditions.
                          connect the stator back up, waste a fuse, then check the stator as per stator pages. if it checks out ok, condemn the r/r.
                          Got it ... thanks!

Regards,

Comment

Steve,

Pictures??

GK Same color as your G??

You mentioned the GK drive train in better condition, but your G in better cosmetic condition.....
                            Had you concidered this sequence of things:
                            1- DeeKaying the GK. There is a market for that stuff. Infact "FireRescueMi" (in Lansing MI I think) has been after me to sell him my stash of GK parts. He has a deeKayed GK that he wants to return to stock GK parts and repaint. ANd then there is CafeKid wanting some parts for Grandapa crashed GK.
                            2- then take the vetter stuff and the cosmetic stuff off your G and putting it on the deeKayed GK?

Hey, this is fun, suggesting what work someonelse can do.

Maybe two obsticall to that plan, other than the work involved,
                            - the G fender will not fit on GK forks (as I think you and I had discussed a few weeks ago).
                            - will not have a headlight & brackets to fit back on the G (but those not so hard to find) where took off the vetter fairing.

So that is why I ask if GK the same marroon color as your G. Oh, for that to be true the GK would have to be an early 82 (GKZ either black or maroon), not the later 82 (GK2, brown/brown or black/silver).

.[/quote]
                            Last edited by Redman; 08-15-2008, 05:25 PM. Reason: more yammer yammer
                            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              rustybronco has it on the nail. If you can "prove" the fault by reproducing it to a specific component, then you can be sure that your fix will be good and cheaper. If you still have the 3rd phase from the stator to the R/R via the light switch. bypass it and pass it on directly to the rectifier, those wires are usually found with burnt connectors as well.

Comment

This GK is two tone brown (in need of repainting, though), not maroon like my G. I have a marginal R/R left over from the G that I thought I could swap in (for testing to rule out the one on the bike if the fuse still blows), but unfortunately it seems there was a change from '82 to '83 ... the '82 has a R/R with wires coming out, while the '83 R/R has a line of spade connectors that plugged in to the '83 wiring harness (I replaced it with a Honda unit). I'll have to play some wiring games to swap the two out quickly for the test, but I'm in no major rush. Of course I could also just do the stator test (as suggested) and get results that way too. Either way I hope to have the time within the next few days.

Sorry about the lack of pictures ... the reason for the delay is that I loaned my camera to my brother-in-law and expect it back tomorrow.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X