My neighbor knocked over my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neighbor knocked over my bike

I park my bike on the street and we have lots of people who street park.

Well, I came out of the house this morning to go to work and lo and behold all of the cars were gone and I was looking directly at the bottom of my bike. Turns out that my neighbor was backing out of her driveway with her Volvo SUV, turned to one side and plowed right into my bike.

I picked the bike back up and took a look. The front brake lever snapped in half but everything else seemed more or less okay. The bike was resting on the breaker point cover, handlebar, and foot peg. Picked up a front brake lever this afternoon but then realized that the handlebar is bent more than just a little.

Few questions here: (1) Is it worth calling her insurance company or just better to settle with her? I'm guessing we're talking about $100 in parts. I've never been in this kind of situation before. (2) Should I take to the shop and have them check out? If I do that I definitely need to call the insurance company because I'm sure it's $82 just to look at it. (3) Better to replace the handlebars or get them straightened? How would I straighten? I have a '78 GS750 so I'd want to replace the handlebars with stock or close to stock.

I was planning a ride with a friend this weekend so I'm not exactly thrilled about the timing. If the handlebars weren't bent I'd be fine. If anyone knows a quick way to straighten them that'd be super. It may turn out that my bike shop has handlebars and then I could just replace them tomorrow.

Anyway that's my story. Maybe it's time to start parking behind my apt building.

Did she fess up? If no call the cops. If yes go through her insurance. Get a quote for repairs and give it to her insurance co and then fix it yourself.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah, she left a note and then showed up when I was looking at the bike. She gave me her number so I could get insurance information but I didn't get a chance to call today. I'll do that tomorrow. I just hope that it doesn't take the bike shop four days just to give me a quote.

Comment

Take the $100 & just fix it yourself, unless you think their is more damage

Comment

Good neighbors

Hi Mr. ioates,

It's great that you have such conscientious neighbors. My wife left our van unlocked one night. The next day, everything had been taken from inside, CDs, phone charger, the ash tray full of coins (Yes, the whole ash tray!), the entire center console full of baby wipes, tissues, sunscreen, and other personal items.

Anyway, you might think about telling your neighbor that you can fix it if she buys the parts. That way, you're a good neighbor and it will save a claim on her insurance.

I'd replace the handlebars and lever, maybe even look into buying a new ignition cover and decal. See if she'll pay for it.

Does the bike check out OK otherwise? No bent forks, dented tank, scratched exhaust?

There's only one more thing I would've liked to have seen. That would be her knocking on your door so that you could have picked up your bike. I guess you can't have it all.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

She may have a very low deductible but more than likely the cost of your repairs won't be above the deductible and she will end up paying it anyway.

I suggest checking it out well yourself and getting the parts to repair it and then showing her the receipt and broken/bent parts. Then ask her to pay the cost of the parts. (This is assuming that after carefully and thoroughly checking out the bike there is nothing more wrong than what you listed). If she wants to make a claim on her insurance it's up to her but I doubt it would be worth it to either of you.

Chris

Comment

i would not go through insurance for a $100 bill.

its just not worth it. figure out what it will cost to fix it and ask for the cash, cause shop rates are rediculous and its not worth the hassle.

trust me.

Comment

I agree. I think the two of you should just handle it by yourselves. Just make sure she agrees to buy the parts. She'll appreciate you being contientious as well....with her not having to file a claim. She needs to see this as a benefit to her....and that you're just not out to replace parts she didn't damage. If necessary, go over the inspection with her after you have it all figured out. She might understand everything a bit better....and more willing to cover all damages.

I think only if she doesn't agree to cover parts should you go to her insurance company. Filing a claim is going to be time consuming and a headache for you just as much as it is for her.

Comment

Originally posted by ioates View Post
                  but then realized that the handlebar is bent more than just a little...

(3) Better to replace the handlebars or get them straightened? How would I straighten? I have a '78 GS750 so I'd want to replace the handlebars with stock or close to stock.

If anyone knows a quick way to straighten them that'd be super. It may turn out that my bike shop has handlebars and then I could just replace them tomorrow.
                  replacing them would be the easy and quick way to repair the damage, but they straighten easier than you think.
                  if they're only slightly bent up and inwards and after removing them from the bike, removing the controls, grips, ect. place them on a flat surface, protecting the surface of the chrome with rags, tape or what ever is necessary. find a friend (no 120 lbs lightweight please) to stand on them while you slip a bar in the end of the tube or over the end of the bar and tweak as necessary. check them for square and height by comparing to the other side.

they bend easy, be careful.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

To be fair

Altough I agree with almost everyone on here about not filing a claim with the insurance company.I do disagree on one tiny little point.I believe you should be compensated for your time,if not for the potentially missed ride this weekend,then at least for the time and mileage spent finding parts and repairing your bike.I am not suggesting you steal from the woman in any way(like the bike shops rates) but at least a little extra for your time and the inconvenience.Honestly it will save her money over either having a claim filed or having you take the bike in to have it repaired(as would have happened had she hit a less knoweldgeable guys bike.Either way good luck to you,and happy riding!!

Comment

I have such a pet peeve against Volvos, Subarus, and minivans...

Anyway. Replace the lever, bend the bars back and ride.

She will be a good neighbor forever for your act of kindness by not making this a big and expensive deal.

The bars are mild steel and if not kinked, will bend back fine with no loss of strength.

You may need new handgrips, though.

IMPORTANT

Check your oil before you start the bike, make sure you did not lose a significant amount. Also sniff it to make sure gas did not get into the crankcase whwile the bike was on it's side.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Doc View Post
                        IMPORTANT
                        Check your oil before you start the bike, make sure you did not lose a significant amount. Also sniff it to make sure gas did not get into the crankcase whwile the bike was on it's side.
                        And the levels in the battery.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The worth of these bikes in total isn't worth dealing with insurance. Have her cut you a check for a reasonable amount and be done with it - and be glad it wasn't hit & run.

Comment

money's money

If she's cooperative, I don't see why insurance should make any difference to you, one way or the other. It might to her but not to you.
                            If you and she settle for $100, it will still be $100 regardless of who writes the check. (I imagine she'd be foolish to notify her insurance company for such a small amount.)
                            1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

this is a lil different but i had my 88 ford bronco II hit in the biginning of the summer, was parked infront of my house and a drunk naild the front drivers side fender, after me and the local police found him i went thru his insurance and told them i would do the work myself, turnd out they gave me $1,000 to replace a fender, grille and to paint it. they paid me to fix the truck, sometjhing like $30 an hour with an estimated 13 hours of work. i ended up only spending $175 at the local junk yard and pocketed the rest. even brand new parts from JC were cheaper then $300.

this might happen with you unless the neighbor is nice and willing to work with you without getting the insurance into it

Comment

Working...
                              X