STILL lots of blow by smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STILL lots of blow by smoke

I'm getting close to 2000 miles after the rebuild and I'm still seeing a lot of blow by smoke after the engine gets hot. 1980 GS1100ET, refreshed with standard size rings as everything was within spec. Ugh. How many miles does it take before this quits or am I destined to re-honing the cylinders? I've been thrashing the heck out of it each time I take it out too.

Thanks.

Don

You honed the cylinders when you put in the new rings right? This is absolutely critical to having the new rings seat.
    Last edited by Nessism; 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Having that problem too eh? Theres a certain 1100ET stting in Steves garage that belongs to MRiddle thats got the blowby goin on too. Havent done the rings, and prbably should have while we had it apart, but with the way it was smoking and the look of the valve seals, we thought we had a winner in replacing those. Curious, Don, how many miles does that 1100 of yours have on it, before the re-ring? I think we are pulling the top apart again, and getting the cyclinders checked for round and measured this time, to assure we get the right size rings..

Comment

You retorqued the head right? Mine was smoking too till the head was retorqued to spec at 500 miles.

Comment

It takes about 15 minutes to seat the rings.
          Right after completeing the engine and getting it running out to the highway you go, with a passenger is better, 7-8000rpm right up to 80miles and hour keep it there for 5 minutes, slow down to a more reasonable 40 3-4000rpm till the temp comes down a little, then right back up to 80 and 7-8000rpm for 5 minutes then down to 40 till it cools down, then one more time up to 80 keep it there for another five minutes and then give a cool down ride on the way home and your rings should be worn in and the bores smooth.

Comment

Did you check ring gap?
            Put a Wiseco 1166 kit in it and call it a day.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              You honed the cylinders when you put in the new rings right? This is absolutely critical to having the new rings seat.
              Professionally and had them do it twice actually because the cross hatch pattern wasn't that visible the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Having that problem too eh? Theres a certain 1100ET stting in Steves garage that belongs to MRiddle thats got the blowby goin on too. Havent done the rings, and prbably should have while we had it apart, but with the way it was smoking and the look of the valve seals, we thought we had a winner in replacing those. Curious, Don, how many miles does that 1100 of yours have on it, before the re-ring? I think we are pulling the top apart again, and getting the cyclinders checked for round and measured this time, to assure we get the right size rings..

About 22,900 before and now it's real close to 24,900.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Did you check ring gap?
                  Put a Wiseco 1166 kit in it and call it a day.
                  Yup, checked, checked, checked and re-checked. If I'm still smoking like this in the Spring, I just might spend next years refund check on the Wiseco kit.

Comment

The only thing I can think of to ask is, what kind of oil did put in it when you rebuilt it, a true synthetic or dyno?
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      The only thing I can think of to ask is, what kind of oil did put in it when you rebuilt it, a true synthetic or dyno?

Just some over the counter 10W-40. Not Synthetic or blend. Ran that for around 500 miles then switched out to Hondaline 10W-40, non-synthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                        About 22,900 before and now it's real close to 24,900.

man thats low miles for having bad rings. Someone has dogged the pee outta that bike? That bike Steve and I are working on for Mike Riddle has like 33k or something like that on it, and we still had a problem thinking that it had bad rings. But i guess these bikes get punished heartily...

Comment

I bought this bike from a guy I had worked with a few times. It had been sitting in his garage for years. It was one of the filthiest bikes I'd ever seen. From about the middle of the engine down was solid black, coated with grease and oil. I never bothered to try to start it. I just brought it home, took it apart and started cleaning it up. For lots of stupid reasons, I let it sit for about 3 years after I put the engine back together before I got it running. Then I never had a chance to break it in hard because I couldn't make it around the block more than once before it would die out. Turns out it was a bad set of Accel coils. Once I did get it running good enough to ride it some, I probably put 20 miles on it or so of nothing more than putting around the neighborhood. That may be the culprit. I didn't hold back on that motor after about 50 miles and it really does run pretty good now, just won't quit smoking out the blowby tube once it gets hot. I don't have the energy or motivation to pull it apart this year so I'm going to continue to run the snot out of it and see what happens. Guess I'll just keep my eye on the oil level. It's crap like this that makes me think I should save up my pennies and buy something made in this decade. I just never seem to have enough pennies to do that though.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                            I bought this bike from a guy I had worked with a few times. It had been sitting in his garage for years. It was one of the filthiest bikes I'd ever seen. From about the middle of the engine down was solid black, coated with grease and oil. I never bothered to try to start it. I just brought it home, took it apart and started cleaning it up. For lots of stupid reasons, I let it sit for about 3 years after I put the engine back together before I got it running. Then I never had a chance to break it in hard because I couldn't make it around the block more than once before it would die out. Turns out it was a bad set of Accel coils. Once I did get it running good enough to ride it some, I probably put 20 miles on it or so of nothing more than putting around the neighborhood. That may be the culprit. I didn't hold back on that motor after about 50 miles and it really does run pretty good now, just won't quit smoking out the blowby tube once it gets hot. I don't have the energy or motivation to pull it apart this year so I'm going to continue to run the snot out of it and see what happens. Guess I'll just keep my eye on the oil level. It's crap like this that makes me think I should save up my pennies and buy something made in this decade. I just never seem to have enough pennies to do that though.
                            Oh...we're talkin totally different things then. I thought you were talking about blowby smoke coming from the pipes, blowby from the rings....thats the problem we're having...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Oh...we're talkin totally different things then. I thought you were talking about blowby smoke coming from the pipes, blowby from the rings....thats the problem we're having...

Yeah, sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Working...
                              X