Stator papers.... I'm stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the battery good?
    Don't know about the Ninja R/R. Sure you have it wired correctly?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

All legs of the stator are right at 70volts ac, and have a resistance of around .5 ohms. All basically identical.

I read another topic on here, where someone used the same R/R with success.... 3 yellow from the stator, Red/white to the hot, black to ground, and the brown to the brake light hot as a refrence.

I did notice that I wasn't getting a full 12v at that "+" brake wire... but I figured that was because the lights were drawing amps, and the bike not charging at all.

**EDIT**
      My battery is brand new and fully charged so that shouldn't be the problem.
      I hooked up a completly dead (<6v) battery, got the bike started with a charger, and it was charging the battery at 12.xx volts... I'm stumped, and frustrated.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

another night of tinkering down the tubes....

Disconnected everything besides the coils, hooked the R/R straight to the battery, and still nothing. I went over the stator papers again everything checks out 100%. I soldered the stator wires directly to the wires on my R/R to get rid of ANY connections and still nothing.

I'm taking the bike to the shop on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrorocketeer View Post
          All legs of the stator are right at 70volts ac, and have a resistance of around .5 ohms. All basically identical.
          I don't know what model bike your working with, but my manual for GS750s (1977-1980) No-Load Alternator test wants 75 volts AC or MORE on each leg, and 80 volts AC or MORE for TSCC models, at 5k rpm.

FWIW, my 1980 GS750E charges at a lazy 13.48 volts DC @ 5k rpm and the no-load alternator test puts out AC voltage of between 73.2 to 73.7 on the three legs, so it is definetly below the 80 or MORE volts AC specified.

(BTW, does anyone know anything about the RMS AC voltage measurement? I think I remember reading something about RMS (Root Mean Square) as another way of measuring AC voltage on a digital multimeter. Just wondering if the two methods of measurement give different results . . . .)

Comment

in a pure sinusoidal waveform the rms voltage is approx .707 of the peak voltage.
            your voltmeter should read close to it, unless it it a "true" rms voltmeter. (doubtful you have one)
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

So i sat down, thought about it, and tried one, last ditch effort.

I put the original battery (was ran dead by my mistake <8 volts) into the bike and threw the charger on it. Charged it up to eleven volts, and started my bike. Hooked the R/R wires directly to the battery, and what the hell do you know.... 14.5 volts. I was amazed.

Has anyone had a brand new battery that would NOT take a charge?

I guess at the end of the stator papers, it does say that the last possible thing it could be is the battery. I guess I was convinced that since it was BRAND NEW that it couldn't be bad....

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrorocketeer View Post
                Has anyone had a brand new battery that would NOT take a charge?
                Did you put the acid in it ?
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                X