What would cause a battery to dry out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would cause a battery to dry out?

so, i check the electrolyte level in my battery every so often...
    last i checked it it needed to be topped up only a little
    since then i've done maybe 20-30 hours of driving

the other day the bike wouldnt start when cold, so i had to jump it with a car battery (car engine off)
    this was after the bike sat unused for a week or so
    but it would still start no problem when engine warm

i thought my battery was just old and that i would have to replace it soon

then today i discover that the battery is totally dry

now, what would cause the battery to go dry like that?

i tested the charging system a few months back and it was in spec
    i also have a honda rr

thanks for any help
    GS850GT

The only thing that I know of is overcharging.I was having trouble with my old girl starting when the weather was really cold(down to around 5 or 6 degrees) and if I warmed the battery with a heat gun,she would start just fine.Same when she was warmed up.My battery was good.Changed it for one of those absorbed gel mat types and have had no trouble since.Not cheap.About $200 but more gooderer.Cheers,Simon.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Yep, it's being cooked through over charging via the regulator. You might have to check the charge in whilst running. Battery voltage about 14.5v I think when using a multimeter across the +ve and -ve terminals when running. Don't quote me on this but it is normal to be in the range of 12-14v.

Comment

Just thought of something else.I was boiling my old battery and found that by taking the earth from my R/R straight to the -ve of the battery instead of to the earth on my fuse block,the charge voltage dropped from around 15.5v down to 14.7v.Fixed the boil and stopped blowing headlight bulbs.Cheers.Simon.

Comment

Boiled one dry on an optimate over winter before.

Can only be one thing, you've checked that and other have suggested it also.

Suzuki mad

Comment

simon, i just recalled that on the last ride my headlight went out too

the concensus is: overcharging

i have the battery on the tricklecharger at the moment and after that it seems i will have to re-check the charging system
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              simon, i just recalled that on the last ride my headlight went out too

the concensus is: overcharging

i have the battery on the tricklecharger at the moment and after that it seems i will have to re-check the charging system
              Yup Simon gave the most goodest advice.

You check the voltage into the battery while the engine is running.

(note that before running th engine the battery fluid level should be checked to be sure it is where it should be)

For battery holding ability you check the battery immediately after charging stops, record the number, wait an hour, check and record agai, then leave it for 12 hours and do it again.

Immediately after charging stop the voltage will drop, and within one hour should be within desired specification...roughly 12.8 volts. It should drop another couple of points overnight, but not more, as it should stabilize there..

If you find it continues to drop then it is time to replace the battery
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

i tested the charging system a few months back and it was in spec
                i also have a honda rr

thanks for any help
                Is the R/R, that you have, installed on the bike. or is it something you have, waiting to be installed?
                if it is installed, is the sense wire hooked up properly?
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Is the R/R, that you have, installed on the bike. or is it something you have, waiting to be installed?
                  The sense wire for the Honda RR needs to be hooked up to a switched 12 vdc wire. Hot (12vdc) only when the key is on. The rear brake light switch supply wire works good. My brake light wire has some voltage drop and only reads about 10vdc which made my honda RR work harder and put out 16 vdc. I couldnt find where the voltage was dropping so I did a relay mod for the brake light. Now my brake light switch wire is battery voltage and Im charging a solid 14.5vdc.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                    Changed it for one of those absorbed gel mat types and have had no trouble since.Not cheap.About $200 but more gooderer.Cheers,Simon.
                    Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                    Yup Simon gave the most goodest advice.
                    He's from Queensland, they are the mostest sillierest people that you'll ever meet. I think it's the tropical heat.

Comment

Not the sun,it's tha bia.Cheers,Simon.

Comment

th rr is installed
                        theres three wires comming out of the rr
                        two go to the battery (+ & - respectively) and the third wire is spliced into the orange wire going to the fuse box
                        the wiring diagram shows this orange wire to be comming from the ignition switch (and is switched)
                        is this ok?
                        Last edited by psyguy; 08-25-2008, 05:25 PM.
                        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                          the weather was really cold (down to around 5 or 6 degrees) Cheers, Simon.
                          But you live in Queensland.

Comment

th rr is installed
                            theres three wires comming out of the rr
                            two go to the battery (+ & - respectively) and the third wire is spliced into the orange wire going to the fuse box
                            the wiring diagram shows this orange wire to be comming from the ignition switch (and is switched)
                            is this ok?
                            three wires from the stator, that is the easy part. the question is, what colors are the other three.

how long ago, did you install the R/R?

if at one time it did work correctly, and the voltage has been checked more than a few times, with the results being, the correct charging voltage at the battery.
                            I would check the sense wire for proper voltage, compared to the battery (voltage drop), and a electrically good connection.

Regulator/Rectifier replacement....... page 6

get the part number off the installed R/R, find the application, and double check the wiring for the bike it was originally installed on.
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 08-25-2008, 09:11 PM.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thanks rusty

it's funny that you'd send me a link to "buckets n bits" which is a new zealand bike wreckers yard

the rr comes with a male 6-prong female connector as part of the housing and no original wires

the rr was instaled by the po, so at least 2 years ago (thats how long i've had the bike for)
                              i have checked the charging voltage on two separate ocassions and it was in spec

i'll take the rr off and check if theres a part number on it

i'll also check for the voltage drop at the sense wire compared to at the battery and report back

btw, the stator puts out more than 80V at 5000 rpm so thats fine according to the service manual

three wires from the stator, that is the easy part. the question is, what colors are the other three.

how long ago, did you install the R/R?

if at one time it did work correctly, and the voltage has been checked more than a few times, with the results being, the correct charging voltage at the battery.
                              I would check the sense wire for proper voltage, compared to the battery (voltage drop), and a electrically good connection.

Regulator/Rectifier replacement....... page 6

get the part number off the installed R/R, find the application, and double check the wiring for the bike it was originally installed on.
                              http://www.bucketsnbits.co.nz/list-regulators.html
                              Last edited by psyguy; 08-25-2008, 10:53 PM.
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X