Too hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too hot

Yesterday I decided to go for a little ride to the mountains to see my friend Kris V since it was around 110F here in Bako. As I was climbing I heard a noise that sounded like a header coming loose. I was around 10 miles out from Kris's so I kept going. It got louder and louder and I started losing power. Coasted into Kris's driveway and shut her off.
    Pulled the headers and couldn't find anything wrong and reassembled. Leak still there. Blown head gasket on #3 at the rear of the cylinder.
    Luckily I had all my spare stuff in his shop so I had a head gasket. Pulled the head and YIKES! The gasket had melted and I had pits on #3 and #2 cumbustion area on the head and pits on #3 piston. I got this baby HOT! The outer two cylinders looked perfect so I was that close on jetting but that far! Got her done in about two and a half hours and headed home.
    This morning I pulled her back apart and did valve clearances and retourqued the head. Put in a cooler plug and bumped up the main jet from 140 to 145 and lowered the needle one notch. I'll try and get more color on these plugs to play it safe.
    Also on the way home I lost my right frame cover ($75 for a new one with emblem)
    When sh!t hits the fan it HITS the fan with me.
    At least I didn't blow the bike up!
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Wow, you were lucky to have the parts you needed, when & where you needed them.

Next time, hang out by the A/C - no head gaskets involved!
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

How much compression you running in the beast of yours Bill? Melted parts is NOT good. Makes me wonder if air cooled engines should run in that kind of heat if you want them to live? Especially hot rod air cooled engines.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        ... Put in a cooler plug and bumped up the main jet from 140 to 145 and lowered the needle one notch.
        Please remember that the plug does not determine the temperature of combustion.

A colder plug just has better heat-sinking ability, so it does not run as hot.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          How much compression you running in the beast of yours Bill? Melted parts is NOT good. Makes me wonder if air cooled engines should run in that kind of heat if you want them to live? Especially hot rod air cooled engines.
          150# accross the board.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Please remember that the plug does not determine the temperature of combustion.

A colder plug just has better heat-sinking ability, so it does not run as hot.

The heat range on the plugs I pulled were three to four threads.
          I added more fuel to the cooler plug so I'm hoping to run cooler with that combination.
          Posplayr is going to design a temp guage for me
          Last edited by chef1366; 08-31-2008, 01:56 AM.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yesterday I decided to go for a little ride to the mountains to see my friend Kris V since it was around 110F here in Bako. As I was climbing I heard a noise that sounded like a header coming loose. I was around 10 miles out from Kris's so I kept going. It got louder and louder and I started losing power. Coasted into Kris's driveway and shut her off.
            Pulled the headers and couldn't find anything wrong and reassembled. Leak still there. Blown head gasket on #3 at the rear of the cylinder.
            Luckily I had all my spare stuff in his shop so I had a head gasket. Pulled the head and YIKES! The gasket had melted and I had pits on #3 and #2 cumbustion area on the head and pits on #3 piston. I got this baby HOT! The outer two cylinders looked perfect so I was that close on jetting but that far! Got her done in about two and a half hours and headed home.
            This morning I pulled her back apart and did valve clearances and retourqued the head. Put in a cooler plug and bumped up the main jet from 140 to 145 and lowered the needle one notch. I'll try and get more color on these plugs to play it safe.
            Also on the way home I lost my right frame cover ($75 for a new one with emblem)
            When sh!t hits the fan it HITS the fan with me.
            At least I didn't blow the bike up!
            That SUCKS Bill Sorry to hear it, but at least you got to it before any serious serious damage occured. The GK pulled a bit of a fast one on me today as well. I was at RageZro's place, and was getting ready to leave, so I started her up and let her run while i got my gear on. Well we got to talking so I shut her off so she didnt get to hot. When I finally went to leave, I turned the key, hit the starter, and...nothing. I had to be at work in 30 mins, and was 20 mins away... Jumped the solenoid, and it turned the starter, so that wasnt the problem. So Rage and I started checking wires, pulled the tank, checked some of the connections to the killswitch...then, I happen to think to check the fuse block. Ignition fuse was blown. But, what the heck caused that outa nowhere? Have to track that down...

Comment

Mr. chef1366,

Replace a head gasket in an hour and a half? You're a monster!

I'm glad nothing was broken too badly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The heat range on the plugs I pulled were three to four threads.
                I added more fuel to the cooler plug so I'm hoping to run cooler with that combination.
                Posplayr is going to design a temp guage for me
                I have seen that 'heat range thing measured by the number of threads' mentioned here before, but have never heard of it before that, so I don't know how to interpret that. I have always gone by the color of the center porcelain.

Adding fuel with the larger main will cool it down for larger throttle openings. In your previous post you mentioned that you lowered the needle. That would lean out the mix in the part-throttle areas where most mortals spend most of their riding time. Not sure how you ride. A colder plug will not get as hot, so it will not burn off deposits as well, and now you are adding more fuel that might add more deposits. Check you plugs to make sure they don't foul out. If they do, just go back to the standard plug without changing any jetting.

A temp gauge is a good idea, but it's also important to know what the temp should be. An example of this: in the trucks I used to drive, we had pyrometers to measure the exhaust temperature. (Kinda important in big diesels.) Some of the trucks had the sensor before the turbo, some had the sensor after the turbo. Since the exhaust temp drops about 300 degrees when exiting the turbo, it was important to know where the sensor was. On one truck it was OK to see 1300 on the gauge, but on another, you did not want to see over 1050.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm curious how hot that engine is getting to cause that kind of damage. My "guess" is that the oil temp is north of 300F - and lord knows what the combustion temperature must be? Sounds like a larger oil cooler is in order. Kind of a pain to set up but maybe an Earl's of some sort? Wouldn't hurt and give you something to spend your money on instead of all those head gaskets.

Some oil cooler ideas here... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=130290
                  Last edited by Nessism; 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I have seen that 'heat range thing measured by the number of threads' mentioned here before, but have never heard of it before that, so I don't know how to interpret that. I have always gone by the color of the center porcelain.
                    Might this help?

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Bad luck Bill... always the problem when you start hotting things up I guess!

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hot, hot, hot

Hey, Bill, I'm so sorry to hear about your problem; but what a wake up call for me. As you know, our weather is also really hot and I've worried about overheating on the 1100. I can tell it's really hot because I can feel it. (I've never thought it was a problem with the 750).

I've enrichened my carbs several times but it's still quite lean. I'm gonna get the plugs colored up before I ride it another mile.

P.S. Glad you got it fixed!
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                        X