carb sync tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb sync tool

I'm finally going to get one. Been looking on ebay and saw some that say they are for certain bikes. Just kinda wondering why that would be? Are they just meaning that it only comes with connections for those bikes? Cause I don't see why I couldn't just get some different connections if that's all that's keeping my from using their "CB750" carb sync tool.

Assuming you have some sort of Suzuki GS, you'll need a sync tool with 5mm threaded connectors.

Some other brands of bikes use 6mm connectors, and some use none, so it does matter. 5mm is most common, though.

Anything other than a Morgan Carbtune is a waste of money. You didn't ask, but that's my $0.02.

For just a little more than what you'd spend on an inferior, delicate mercury or dial gauge set that will drive you batty, you can get a far superior precision tool that works beautifully and will last a lifetime. There's no comparison.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I bought a Motion Pro earlier this year and I wish I would have listened to bwringer and everyone else on here who suggested I buy a Morgan Carbtune.

But for your information the cb750 uses the same 5mm hook-up as the GS's.

Comment

Why why why.....

Unless you have the $ to buy a genuine Suzuki one the next best is the Morgan carbtune.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
          Unless you have the $ to buy a genuine Suzuki one the next best is the Morgan carbtune.

Suzuki mad
          Do they really have genuine Suzuki carb snychronizers? That would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
            Do they really have genuine Suzuki carb snychronizers?
            Yes they do, my cousin has one.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Honda and Yamaha have their own make as well. I'd bet so too do Kawasaki though I've never seen one.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I went with the Carbtune because you can't get Mercury in the state of Maine anymore and because of the higher quality.
                A great unit and well worth the price.
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Sounds like the morgan carbtune is awesome.

I have the cheaper Motion Pro Sync pro and it works great for me. I synced my bike and five friends bikes easily.

Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Anything other than a Morgan Carbtune is a waste of money. You didn't ask, but that's my $0.02.

For just a little more than what you'd spend on an inferior, delicate mercury or dial gauge set that will drive you batty, you can get a far superior precision tool that works beautifully and will last a lifetime. There's no comparison.
                    Thanks for the info Brian,

After "playing" around with the Motion-Pro unit for more time than I'd care to admit to, and given the lack of confidence I have with that set-up, you have convinced me about the virtues of the Morgan Carbtune.

IN FACT - I've just placed my order 2 minutes ago for a unit: I bought the Morgan Carbtune Pro, 4-column model with the toolpouch, total cost shipped to my door was $115.

Now I can't wait to use it !!!

Mike
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      Thanks for the info Brian,

After "playing" around with the Motion-Pro unit for more time than I'd care to admit to, and given the lack of confidence I have with that set-up, you have convinced me about the virtues of the Morgan Carbtune.

IN FACT - I've just placed my order 2 minutes ago for a unit: I bought the Morgan Carbtune Pro, 4-column model with the toolpouch, total cost shipped to my door was $115.

Now I can't wait to use it !!!

Mike
                      Thinking about ordering one also. I have one of the econo Motion Pro mercury jobs and while it works, the mercury is badly contaminated with gas/water condensation and some of the mercury has spilled out a time or two. Could use some replacement mercury but I don't think it's available over the counter anymore - if anyone knows where I can get some, please drop me a PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Thinking about ordering one also. I have one of the econo Motion Pro mercury jobs and while it works, the mercury is badly contaminated with gas/water condensation and some of the mercury has spilled out a time or two. Could use some replacement mercury but I don't think it's available over the counter anymore - if anyone knows where I can get some, please drop me a PM.
                        What the law in Ca. about having mercury introduced in the state.
                        In Maine, you can't even get it shipped to you.
                        If not, maybe a lab supply house in a nearby state
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
                          Sounds like the morgan carbtune is awesome.

I have the cheaper Motion Pro Sync pro and it works great for me. I synced my bike and five friends bikes easily.

Yup...that's the one I've got. No mercury and it seems to do the job.
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I ordered a Carbtune and while I am waiting for it I am trying to figure out were the adjustment screw is on a 1980 GS550. Can someone post a picture of what I need to turn to adjust these carbs? I do not want to start turning the wrong adjustment.
                            Thanks,
                            Shane

Comment

Carb Adjustments

Looking at BikeBandit, your carbs are very similar to my '83 650.

Here's a picture I took while breaking down my carbs for cleaning:

There are 3 screws that mechanical adjust a stop that determine the position of the butterfly valve. In this picture, you're looking from the front of the bike towards the back, so you're seeing where the carbs go into the engine. If the carbs aren't on the bike yet, I'd recommend doing a "bench synch", where you adjust all the screws so that the same sliver of light is viewable at the bottom of each butterfly valve when there's no tension on the throttle linkage.

The screws are pretty sensitive, and even 1/4 turn can make a big difference on a manometer.

I ordered the motion pro manometer, and I wish I'd gone with the Morgan Carbtune. After I got the bubble problems worked out of the Motion Pro, I was playing around with balancing the columns. I noticed that while all hooked up to the same vacuum source, I could balance the columns easily enough. However, if you increase the vacuum (with all 4 still on the same source) they would rise to different levels on the guage. This means that the columns don't read the same at higher levels. Still, it's better than nothing, or trying to do it with 1 vacuum guage.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X