Oil question on a 1978 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil question on a 1978 GS750

I am going to change my oil and i haven't been able to find out how much oil to put in it, or what model oil filter to use? can anyone bestow on me this wondrous knowledge?

just bought it 2 days ago (first bike)

thanks for your help! this looks like a great website with very helpfull people :-)

oh, one last question: i know it says 10w40 on the oil cap but would you recommend using synthetics or a different weight oil?

Can't help you how much oil or what filter is used but, as for using a different oil than the recommended 10w40, the answer would be a positive YES!
    shell rotella 15w40 dino or 5w40 synthetic.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

basscliff's website has the various oil filter part numbers for many of the manufacturers...of course, i always forget, and just have the autozone people look it up. here is the link.

i am told that all the GS line use the same filters.

Comment

bass cliff also has your bike's manual for downloading. should have all the info you need.

Comment

A lot of guys here also reccomend using diesel engine oil 15/50 weight. This is what I use, and I have a little bit of clutch drag one the first pull, but its fine after that. For amounts, about 3 qts for an oil only change, and a bit under four qts for a oil and filter change. (2800 ml, oil only, and 3600ml oil and filter, does that sound right everyone?)

Put in about 3 1/2 qts, run it for a minute, then let it sit for a minute or 2 and check the window, top it off as needed.

The link boathead gave you has all the info you will need. Good luck and welcome to the GSR!

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
            bass cliff also has your bike's manual for downloading. should have all the info you need.
            http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
            oh, AWESOME! i have the service manual but i havent been able to find the owners manual yet. you are sooo cool!

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfist View Post
              how much oil to put in it
              It should be stamped on the engine case close to the oil fill cap. If you cant figure out the monkey liters conversion a gallon works. After that get the bike level and use the sight gauge on the clutch cover (rt side)

Welcome to our world......
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfist View Post
                oh, AWESOME! i have the service manual but i havent been able to find the owners manual yet. you are sooo cool!
                i am cool. but not as cool as basscliff.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. shadowfist,

Thanks for joining us. We'll help you take care of your GS. Please click here to receive your mega-welcome, chock full of suggestions, tips, links, etc. Then feel free to explore my little BikeCliff website for lots of GS lovin' that I've been collecting from the good folks here.

We like to see pictures, of your bike, not you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

well seince you asked so nicely :-)

I already discovered that the spark plugs were about half the size they should have been (the threaded part of it) so i'm replacing those today. and hopefully changing the oil and filter tonight (if i can find a filter, sounds like the local autozone is out of the equivalent filters) and it runs a little rough at times but i think thats because of the sparkplug issue, they were firing halfway up the housing threads.

Comment

my local walmart carries fram ch6000, which will fit your bike. anyways, good luck. nice bike.

Comment

Napa auto parts carries the PS4931 filter, which comes with a decent o-ring. Order three or four -- they tend to not stock them in the winter, which makes things difficult for those of us who ride year round.

Most of the time, they will need to look it up by the model of bike -- if you give them the part number, they'll just look at you blankly, look it up, mutter "PS4931" (which you JUST TOLD THEM) and then go fetch it. I have no idea why they do this...
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Napa auto parts carries the PS4931 filter, which comes with a decent o-ring. Order three or four -- they tend to not stock them in the winter, which makes things difficult for those of us who ride year round.

Most of the time, they will need to look it up by the model of bike -- if you give them the part number, they'll just look at you blankly, look it up, mutter "PS4931" (which you JUST TOLD THEM) and then go fetch it. I have no idea why they do this...
                          yeah i already got that blank look with the spark plugs. they tried to look it up in the database (autozone) and couldn't find it. so i gave them the part number and they gave me a blank look and said 'whats that?'

Originally posted by boathead
                          my local walmart carries fram ch6000, which will fit your bike. anyways, good luck. nice bike.
                          thanks! going to fix it up a bit but mainly just got it to learn on. (the price was right, about 500 bucks)

but yeah i just called napa and they have ONE had them hold it for me and I'm going to order several when i get there.

on a side note, does anyone know why/if someone would intentionally put shorter spark plugs in a bike?
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM. Reason: adding a bit

Comment

[quote=bonanzadave;904645]It should be stamped on the engine case close to the oil fill cap. If you cant figure out the monkey liters conversion a gallon works. After that get the bike level and use the sight gauge on the clutch cover (rt side)

1 redneck quart = 1 monkey litre
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

on a completely unrelated side note, seems like swapping the spark plugs to the PROPER spark plugs has completely eliminated my occasional popping, AND my 'running a bit rich' problem all in one shot until 4 days ago i had never done any mechanical work. but i gots me the fever now

thanks for all your help on the oil and such. these forums have made buying an old used improperly mantained bike a swift and painless procedure.

everyone here is amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X