• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more tire size question

searched the threads, and found the usual conflicting info, so I'll ask-
    Best size tire for the front of my '79 850g

110/90-19 or 100/90-19

which is stock and which works best? I thought the 110 was stock, but I find lots saying the 100 is better. Help!

stock was a 3.50-19 which is closer to a 100/90-19. when looking at tire I always go the the manufaturer and check recomended rim size. whenever you but a tire on a rim outside the design of the tire you change the shape of the tire and usually decrease its performance. A narrow tire on a narrow rim will most likely out perform a wide tire on a narrow rim. So check clearance and check rim size before making your final decision.

Comment

Average Joe Inline-4

Hi Mr. C.V.,

Shhh! Mr. bwringer is going to yell at me.

"Best" will be what's best for you. I use a 110/90-19 on the front of my 850. It makes the bike steer a little slower, but most of my riding time is commuting anyway. It seems more stable on the freeway. It's still plenty fun in the twisties even though I have to use a little more muscle. My dear and trusted friend, Ms. SqDancerLynn1 also uses a 110 on the front. You should see her ride her fully dressed 850.

Most people use a 100/90-19 on the front for the 750-1100cc bikes. I have ridden a GS with a 100 on the front and the steering is a little quicker, but the speedometer is off. With the 110 tire there is almost no speedo error.

I've also heard it said that the back tire can affect the quickness of your steering just as much as the front. I use, as I think most do, a 130/90-17 on the back of my 850. A 120 is likely to give you quicker steering too. But that just seems too skinny to me.

Another tire discussion. Oh boy. Here we go.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm running Dunlop GT501's on my 850GLZ

F - 100/90
        R - 130/90
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Either works just fine. The differences are subtle. If you want to stay as close to factory as possible, I think you want the 110.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I bought a 110 by accident. Stock is a 100/90/19.
            It actually rubs on the fender a little bit.
            Handles fine though.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've tried both. Never had a rubbing issue. Some fenders allow you to swivel them a bit. If stock is 100, it sounds like he'd be more confident with the 100.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If it's any indication, the sticker on my '83 says 100/90-19.

Depending on the tire, a 110 sometimes rubs, or is hard to stuff under the fender, which ain't right. 100/90-19 is easier to find, anyway.

You won't die or anything with a 110, but I noticed a big difference in hanlding when I figured out what the correct tire size was.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys, still conflicting opinions, but helpful none the less
                  The bike currently has a 110 on it, no rubbing, no probs but the cupping. Not sure how many miles on it, but I've put close to 4000 on it since i've had it. No probs with the handling initially, only recently. Is there any way to correct for the speedo error if I go with a 100?

Comment

The front wheel on your '79 is 1.85" wide. The later G's received 2.15" wheels except for the L model which stayed with the narrower rim for some reason.

In my opinion a 110 tire is pretty margional on a rim that narrow - for a front anyway. I'd definetly stay with a 100.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tire ordered

Thanks again gang for your help. I ordered a cheng shin Hi Max based on the reviews here and elswhere. I decide to go with the 100/90-19, since that seems to be what the majority run, also thats what the tire conversion said was correct (you were right 76fj55).

Thanks guys, i'll check back in after shes mounted up and update.

Comment

Working...
                      X