R/R Rewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Rewire

I just got a duneage r/r and installed it on my 78 gs550. I hooked up the three yellows, red to the battery with a fuse, black to the orange wire off the brake pedal switch for the tailight, green directly to battery ground. I have a white/red and white/green wire on my bike disconnected. When I test voltage at the red wire I get 1v or so, should be less than .2 right? Any ideas? Thanks.

Your voltage at the red wire should be the same as your battery.

If you are getting one volt, your battery is toast.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think he is talking about testing the R/R pre installation. I dunno tho.

Comment

Sorry, so that was one volt with the red wire hooked up to my main red wire with the new r/r. I have switched the red wire to the battery, obviously getting 11.4v from battery, but when on and revved to 3k+ there is no voltage increase at the battery.

Comment

go through the stator papers.
          first check that you do get output from the stator
          check all connections to/from the rr
          if you dont get any increase in voltage at the battery at 3k rpm, your rr is toast - not likely though as duaneage checks them himself i think
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by markdjr View Post
            Sorry, so that was one volt with the red wire hooked up to my main red wire with the new r/r. I have switched the red wire to the battery, obviously getting 11.4v from battery, but when on and revved to 3k+ there is no voltage increase at the battery.
            test the battery itself...if you only get 11.4v at the posts with the bike off, then try charging it off the bike overnight and see if it will hold around 12.6v after sitting a few hours when disconnected from the charger. If not and reads under 12v then you've probably toasted your battery.
            As stated, you should check for at least 50v AC on each of the 3 pairings from the stator at 3-4k rpm. If not then your stator probably went "south".
            I've replaced 3 failed r/r's on 3 different GS1100s when I got them with Duanage's Honda replacements and have put thousands of miles on them without any problems.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2008, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Ok, so i've got a duneage r/r wired up the yellow leads, green is grounded at battery, red is run to battery with 20a fuse inline, black is tagged to orange tailight wire. I've tested the stator side, and when I test the regulator I get 12.4 at 2500 and at 5k I slowly, slowly crept up to 12.9. Any ideas on what I'm missing? After I get less than 13.5v at 2.5k rpm I test the red wire, but obviously its getting more than .2v because it is hooked up straight to my battery. Also I now have a red wire a white/red wire and a white/green wire unplugged on my 78 gs550. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by markdjr View Post
                Ok, so i've got a duneage r/r wired up the yellow leads, green is grounded at battery, red is run to battery with 20a fuse inline, black is tagged to orange tailight wire. I've tested the stator side, and when I test the regulator I get 12.4 at 2500 and at 5k I slowly, slowly crept up to 12.9. Any ideas on what I'm missing? After I get less than 13.5v at 2.5k rpm I test the red wire, but obviously its getting more than .2v because it is hooked up straight to my battery. Also I now have a red wire a white/red wire and a white/green wire unplugged on my 78 gs550. Thanks for the help
                and the voltage output of the stator was... ?volts@ ?rpm.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Right about 60volts ac on all three wires

Comment

Make sure you have a solid connection to a 12v switched source for the black wire. You may be on the wrong side of the brake light switch for your 12v going to the sense wire.

Comment

With the stator testing good your numbers are too low.
                      Are you sure you tested all legs of the stator?
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

as you connected your sense wire to the rear light wire you need to perform the test with your lights ON

i think it may be better to connect the sense wire to the main + wire comming from the ignition as that wire is switched on as soon as the ignition is on AND that wire feeds all the electrical systems so that's where you get the most accurate total voltage drop read
                        GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                        X