After 25 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 25 Years

After 25 Years my clutch cable let loose while heading home. Suzuki just doesn't make things to last anymore. I should have changed it out when I bought the bike six years ago. Tongue in cheek. $14.55 from the dealer and a brand new oem cable came in today. Also maybe the last ride of the season tonight.

FYI,
    Stiksave

Nice lookin' bike - what kind of can is that??
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The can is off a Yamaha R1, carbon fiber. Year might be 2000 or 2001. Works quite well. I just updated the paint this spring.

Thanks,
      Stiksave

Comment

If you're looking for compliments, you deserve them. Beautiful bike.

Comment

That can is huge! How does it sound? Are those 36mm Mikunis? How did you jet for the pods and pipe?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef the can sounds nice, deep tone. The carbs are a set of BDST36SS CV Mikunis off of a 94 RF900.

"I have an 83 GS1100E, K&N pods, 4 x 1 header, R1 can, yadayadayada. I've never been truly happy with the performance of the stock carbs. I've been snipping E-Bay to pick up a spare rack to rebuild and swap out my existing ones. The price has always gone out of site every time I think I've won a set. For the hell of it I bid on a set of BDST36SS CV Mikunis off of a 94 RF900 not thinking I'd get them. I did, $31.00 + shipping.

So now what. Thanks to Flo and RacingJake I got pointed in the right direction. I installed new main jets, 142.5, and jet nozzle O-Rings that were crapped out. Carbs were pretty clean, but I cleaned the pilot circuit and basacilly gave them a good cleaning without a total rebuild. I had to play with the float levels, on and off the bike 4 times, she liked 6mm's. I want a piece of the engineer that disigned the throttle cable attach to the carb rack, bahstad. Balanced them and played with the air mix screws. She seemed pretty happy. Put the tank and seat on, put on my helmet, and let's see how these work.

My God what a difference. No more rough idle, no more low end baulk, no more having to get on the mains to get ought of the way. It screams, pulls steady, the response to your wrist is instantanious. Only thing missing is the big WAHH! from the old carbs sucking air. All you hear is the exhaust note.

So if your looking to move up 12 or so years on your carbs, this worked out great. These are on the RF900, they're 36mm, they're also on the GSXR 600 & 1100. They popped right into my new intake boots, and I did'nt have to tip them. I highly recomend the swap, but what do I know. "

From an old post about the carbs. Who doesn't like a compliment about their bike?

Thanks,
            Stiksave

Comment

A buddy did the GSXR 36mm swap and had a little trouble with a rich pilot circuit. Sounds like you got it dialed. Congrads.
              I run the 1150 carbs. They scream but I bet I could still smooth out the bottom end.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Stiksave,

Still looks great. The 83 red is sweet with the black engine. I think you told me before but what header is the R1 slip on connected too. I have the same carbon R1 pipe that I bolt up from time to time. It's slightly larger diameter than the Yosh 4:1 collector.

Comment

looks new!

WOW!...another right mouse click and save!!! so many awesome GS'ers on here

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                    Stiksave,

Still looks great. The 83 red is sweet with the black engine. I think you told me before but what header is the R1 slip on connected too. I have the same carbon R1 pipe that I bolt up from time to time. It's slightly larger diameter than the Yosh 4:1 collector.
                    The headers were a score off of e-bay from an Oregon scrap yard. I haven't a clue what brand. I was able to maintain the center stand if that's a hint. I just put fresh plugs and half a can of Berryman's B-12 in the tank, plus the new clutch cable. She rips. Too bad winters on the way.

Stiksave

Comment

Send it to me. I'll get its blood flowing during your cold winter months.

Comment

I still like the looks of the paint work you did, looks even better with the headers and can on it!
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          I still like the looks of the paint work you did, looks even better with the headers and can on it!
                          I never was a big fan of the 83 red but that looks very nice. I dont think thats 83 red. Could just be the picture.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                            I never was a big fan of the 83 red but that looks very nice. I dont think thats 83 red. Could just be the picture.

I didn't like the Suzuki red, too orange. GM Victory Red.

Stiksave

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave View Post
                              After 25 Years my clutch cable let loose while heading home. Suzuki just doesn't make things to last anymore. I should have changed it out when I bought the bike six years ago. Tongue in cheek. $14.55 from the dealer and a brand new oem cable came in today. Also maybe the last ride of the season tonight.

FYI,
                              Stiksave
                              I know what you mean.I only got 28 years out of my clutch cable.Now ,when I was a young bloke...............Cheers,Simon.Oh yeh,good looking ride you have there old mate.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
                              X