Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there fewer left side covers for sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are there fewer left side covers for sale?

I'm a newbie. Just got my 1979 gs550 L this fall for $500. It's in decent shape, rideable but has the usual charging issue. I'm trying to buy new side covers for it to replace my cracked and scratched originals. Here's the problem: there are lots and lots of right side covers available. Already got one in fact, and cheap too. But there are very few left side covers for sale. Why is this? Are they more prone to breakage for some reason? Anybody got one they'd sell? Color unimportant.

Good Question i need one, I think the peg for the center stand is on the left side, people have a tendency to drive their knee into the side cover to get the bike up, damaging the cover--thus demand is high--supply is low--I really need a left cover damn it!!

Comment

what side is your fuse box on. that should give you some in-site.

when I got my '80 and was bring it home, the lh cover blew off while traveling with it.
      guess what cover I removed and re-installed before I left for home. (dang old rubber grommets!)
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The same reason you're always missing socks from the dryer.

See, the sock gnomes need your precious socks. But what they need more is left-hand gs-series side covers.

It's a fact.
        I'm sorry.

I too am missing a left hand side cover. I'll probably just fab a new one out of something else.

Comment

How about one of you fibreglass gurus make some up and sell them. There seems to be a demand.

Comment

I think the CafeKid was offering this service to members.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
              I think the CafeKid was offering this service to members.
              Send a PM to TheCafeKid....I think you're right, but not sure what models.

Comment

On mine, I rarely need to take the right side off, everything is really under the left, so the posts break off of it first. I got smart though (took a while) and built up the base of the pins with epoxy so now they are all pretty strong.

Comment

so true I am missing my left side cover for my 80 750L

Comment

i agree with a previous threader, when lifting up the bike onto the center stand i know my right thigh was putting pressure onto the left side cover. SOMEHOW, I felt this and stopped immediately. Have been very cautious since.
                    1979 GS850G
                    2004 SV650N track bike
                    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Try http://www.mrcycles.com/
                      My 80 side covers are still available there.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why no left covers?

I was going to guess that, since all the bikes lean to the left, maybe the grommets got weak and the covers fell off?

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Could be more drops when guys forget to put the kickstand down and loose their balance getting off. Bike might fall to the left more often.

Mine has a bolt & washer that goes thru the grommet at bottom. I don't understand how they could come off to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                            Could be more drops when guys forget to put the kickstand down and loose their balance getting off. Bike might fall to the left more often.

Mine has a bolt & washer that goes thru the grommet at bottom. I don't understand how they could come off to begin with.
                            My 78 1000 is the same. Stainless Allen head socket. I'm pretty sure this is the usual way of them being attached, though with a different bolt. Never have been much of a fan of the post and grommet thing. My 650 has steel side covers and a twist lock. MUCH better IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                              My 78 1000 is the same. Stainless Allen head socket. I'm pretty sure this is the usual way of them being attached, though with a different bolt. Never have been much of a fan of the post and grommet thing. My 650 has steel side covers and a twist lock. MUCH better IMHO.
                              I use the stainless Allen head too. On each side of the grommet, I have a thin washer about the same diameter. It's bolted tight to the frame. The grommet cannot come out.

Comment

Working...
                              X