question with the stator pages..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question with the stator pages..

ok so i was home sick today. and i figured i might as well use the time to properly diagnose my charging issues while I have the bike running (this was before it stranded me for the 3rd time, that's what i get for going out for a quick ride instead of fixing its issues). Now, i went through the flowchart and it looks like my R/R is the problem and that my stator is (surprisingly) good.

but i did have a question with the last of the "bad news, its your stator" section, which involved pulling the stator wires, jamming the probes in each of the leads in turn and seeing how many volts come out. it says if any of the leads are giving less than 60 volts its bad, but also if any of the three are different my question is how much variance is ok? i had the pleasure of holding the leads, holding the DVM, revving the engine to the required 5k, watching the tach to keep the engine in the 5k range, and watching the DVM to read the volts.

all of the leads on mine were outputting above the 60v and if i remember they were all about 75-80 at 5000k. but i don't know how much the variance was. how big a variance should i be alarmed about?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2008, 03:51 AM.

If you tested all three legs and got those numbers the stator is good.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Mr. shadowfist,

I think I read somewhere (in the manual?) that a variance of more than 10% is undesirable. 75v to 80v is less than that.

What were the resistance readings between all three legs? Between a leg and ground?

I documented my stator test here. (PDF file)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2008, 04:31 AM.

Comment

if i remember right the resistance between all three legs was .9

between the three legs and ground I'm pretty sure was infinite (on my DVM comes up as 300 or some ridiculous thing like that.)

sounds like i'm going to have to take a closer look at the DVM while I rev it... I wasn't looking close enough to tell you for sure that none of them were +/- 10v from any others. I'll have to enlist some help for it...

now i had another quick question:
        I was talking about installing my new R/R into my bike and how i just have to run to the store and get the bullet connectors and such. and he said it might be better to just find the other end of the connector that's already on the regulator and wire that connector into my bike.
        he said the connections would be better than a bullet connection could offer. oppinions?

Comment

I prefer soldering and shrink tubing my connections.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfist View Post
            I was talking about installing my new R/R into my bike and how i just have to run to the store and get the bullet connectors and such. and he said it might be better to just find the other end of the connector that's already on the regulator and wire that connector into my bike.
            he said the connections would be better than a bullet connection could offer. opinions?
            Well, if the other half of the connector you find is in good shape and the connector side of your R/R is in good shape. that might be an option to keep it neat looking.
            the connector you find, will still have to be cut and spliced to the loom on the bike. but other than to be neat and to make it simple to disconnect, I ask you, why would you want to do it?
            when you effectively do the same thing with flat spades, solder and shrink tube. (the same thing, less the hard shell on your R/R and the one you will have to find)

the best connection you can make is to cut, twist and solder the connections (protected with shrink tube). the down side of connecting the wires this way is, they are a little harder to take apart if needed. (some newer crimping tools are just as good as soldering, but are around $100.00)

your stator resistances are fine, as is the voltage output from the stator.

Quit worrying and put it together...
            Last edited by rustybronco; 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Hi,

Soldering and shrink-tubing make the best connections. But for convenience sake I have replaced the bullet connectors with blade connectors in my charging system. It makes testing and replacement easier for me. There are pictures in the charging system guides on my website (i.e. stator replacement, r/r replacement).

Sounds like you've got a handle on your charging system so you should be riding again soon. Ride hard, ride courteously, ride safely.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My original equip stator was putting out around 60V when I replaced theR/R the first time, it then proceeded to go down hill from there. It lasted another 18 months then I replaced the stator now putting out 25V or so on all three legs with the R/R. Now all is good.
                I would suspect your stator is on its last leg and will probably last you till next fall if you replace the R/R now.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Sounds like you've got a handle on your charging system so you should be riding again soon.
                  well... that would be true if i had already rebuilt/dipped/o-ringed my carbs I've had a class that has kept me quite busy so i haven't had a chance to pull it into my garage and rip those babies open.

right now, I be trippin on fouled plugs, yo!

Comment

Working...
                  X