stator ranges question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator ranges question..

looked through the stator pages and i may have missed it, if so i appoligize.

anyone had any numbers in what the stator for the 1100G produces?
    (my bike is currently down, i can't test for myself)
    i'm looking for specifically:

AC voltage
    AC amprage

and DC amprage at idle.

thanks in advance, guys.

Amperage? Dunno.

For AC voltage, you want to see somewhere around 65-70 volts AC (R/R disconnected; engine @5,000 rpm) between each wire pair from a stock stator.

If it's an aftermarket stator, some are made with thicker wire and fewer turns, so they'll read 45-50 VAC. Yellow or black wires usually mean aftermarket stator.

Voltage output at idle depends, of course, on the R/R somewhat. Usually it's generating a little, but it'll be a little low -- 12.8 or so with a healthy battery.

On my GS850 (original 97,000 mile stator, Honda R/R, headlight on) just off idle, with a Honda R/R, it jumps to 13.5 pretty quickly and is at full output (14.5 to 14.7) by 2,500 rpm.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

If it's an aftermarket stator, some are made with thicker wire and fewer turns, so they'll read 45-50 VAC. Yellow or black wires usually mean aftermarket stator.

Voltage output at idle depends, of course, on the R/R somewhat. Usually it's generating a little, but it'll be a little low -- 12.8 or so with a healthy battery.

On my GS850 (original 97,000 mile stator, Honda R/R, headlight on) just off idle, with a Honda R/R, it jumps to 13.5 pretty quickly and is at full output (14.5 to 14.7) by 2,500 rpm.
      Pretty much the same on my '83 1100G as stated here after replacing with an aftermarket stator....I thought at first my 55-56v readings on the 3 new stator pairings were low after reading the shop manual and stator papers but I have had no problems since. Thanks for that explanation.

Comment

hmm. ok.

i know it's probably a waste of time, but i'm in a class with a teacher right now that has a double batchlors in electrical engineering. I was explaining my idea to get a second power tap off the stator before it hits the rectifier using a center tap transformer and then rectifing both taps for 2 sources of 12vdc. he told me if i get him measurements for the system, including amperage ranges between idle and WOT he'd do the math and see if it was probable to work properly, as well as size the transformer for me.

Comment

Is that not the same as a 2nd r/r in parallel? What is the advantage over installing a single higher capacity r/r?
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
            hmm. ok.

i know it's probably a waste of time, but i'm in a class with a teacher right now that has a double batchlors in electrical engineering. I was explaining my idea to get a second power tap off the stator before it hits the rectifier using a center tap transformer and then rectifing both taps for 2 sources of 12vdc. he told me if i get him measurements for the system, including amperage ranges between idle and WOT he'd do the math and see if it was probable to work properly, as well as size the transformer for me.
            Not sure what you're trying to remedy? Are you making it more complicated than necessary?
            Assuming you've tried cleaning all connections (which has not helped me in three 1100's I've owned) then:
            If you have a failed stator then either try to rewind yourself or pay $110+ for a new one.
            If you have a failed r/r then you can get a better one for $40 from Duanage.
            Otherwise you're going to keep draining your battery(failed stator)or cook it(faulty r/r) for another $35-50.
            Not sure trying some homemade, custom setup is solving anything, but I may be missing something..... There are actually 3 pairings off the stator now for charging output. But if they read real low like 8vac or 14vac (as my failed stator in the G did) then no extra connections are going to make it put out enough charging juice...
            but then I'm not an electrical engineer
            Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

AC voltage
              75-80 vac @5000rpm
              AC amprage
              figuring about/around a 260 watt output of the stator, the amperage @80vac would be 3.25 amps

and DC amprage at idle.
              probably <1.0 amp

I was explaining my idea to get a second power tap off the stator before it hits the rectifier using a center tap transformer and then rectifing both taps for 2 sources of 12vdc. he told me if i get him measurements for the system, including amperage ranges between idle and WOT he'd do the math and see if it was probable to work properly, as well as size the transformer for me.
              Why would you want to use an isolation transformer with its inherent added losses?
              you do know you need to maintain at least 26 vac @ idle (how are you connecting to the phases?) on the primary side with a center tapped secondary to maintain a voltage of 12.8vac output then rectify each output and still regulate the output at higher rpms.

What purpose will it serve?

***edit*** how are you proposing to connect the primary side of the transformer to the 3-phase output of the stator, or are you going to connect it to only one phase of the stator output, with the resultant load imbalance it will create?
              Last edited by rustybronco; 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM. Reason: RECTIFY...
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I thought we've gone over this all before.

Didn't seem like a good idea then, why would it change? Space constraints, losses, over complication, and no benefits over a good R/R from duanage kinda trump and hopes for gains. The stator will only put out so much current. You can't create more current, no matter what.

Space constraints: You'll need a 3 phase transformer, or 3 single phase transformers. They're not light, nor are they small. Not cheap either, for what you plan to do with them.

Losses: Why spend money on something that will weigh your bike down, eat up a portion of what little electrical power you have, and basically do nothing for you?

Over complication: Um, self explanatory.

So, why is it that you want to do this? Is it for a class project? If so, I'd say yes, go ahead and do it for experimentation's sake and take all your measurements to prove/disprove theories and ideas. Would be great as a tech project for sure. But, on the other hand, as a permanent solution to whatever problem you may have, not the best choice.

Comment

But what you could do that would make sense, is to get a higher wattage stator...

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                    I thought we've gone over this all before.

Didn't seem like a good idea then, why would it change? Space constraints, losses, over complication, and no benefits over a good R/R from duanage kinda trump and hopes for gains. The stator will only put out so much current. You can't create more current, no matter what.

Space constraints: You'll need a 3 phase transformer, or 3 single phase transformers. They're not light, nor are they small. Not cheap either, for what you plan to do with them.

Losses: Why spend money on something that will weigh your bike down, eat up a portion of what little electrical power you have, and basically do nothing for you?

Over complication: Um, self explanatory.

So, why is it that you want to do this? Is it for a class project? If so, I'd say yes, go ahead and do it for experimentation's sake and take all your measurements to prove/disprove theories and ideas. Would be great as a tech project for sure. But, on the other hand, as a permanent solution to whatever problem you may have, not the best choice.
                    i don't have any issues with my stator and rr, they work fine. i'm just interested in trying it.

as far as benifits, not many,but i can get transformers at cost, and, they are not by any means large.. we have some at school that are 120vac with a center tap for running two control circuits in oil furnaces with air conditioning and they are about an inch square.

i understand that i can not create more current, but if the stator is creating 50vac per line, and outputting 10-20vac.. that's alot of extra voltage that is being dumped to ground, why not try to take advantage of it for secondary lighting systems and such?

i don't have a specific plan for any benifits from the idea, but depending on how well it works, i don't see how there wouldn't be multiple uses.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      But what you could do that would make sense, is to get a higher wattage stator...
                      that's another idea, where would i go about looking for something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        Is that not the same as a 2nd r/r in parallel? What is the advantage over installing a single higher capacity r/r?
                        i don't know? mebby a higher capacity r/r is the way to go?

Comment

i'm not tryign to challenge you guys and "prove you wrong" if that is the sort of vibe i am giving off. i simply explained my system as i understood it to the teacher, and he thought that if there is 50 vac getting turned into approx 15vdc that there is alot of potential voltage for use there, that is simply getting dumped to ground.

now, i may not have explained it properly to him and missed something important that accounts for that voltage?

Comment

that's another idea, where would i go about looking for something like that?
                            http://www.rmstator.com/en/index.php They supposedly have a higher output than stock. I just replaced mine but didn't bother taking any measurements to confirm the higher output.

Comment

i simply explained my system as i understood it to the teacher, and he thought that if there is 50 vac getting turned into approx 15vdc that there is alot of potential voltage for use there, that is simply getting dumped to ground.

now, i may not have explained it properly to him and missed something important that accounts for that voltage?
                              the unused (excess) wattage on your system is given up as heat by the R/R. if you add acessories (wattage) that excess wattage is used, up to the output limit of the stator: it is not not given up as heat by the R/R.

If you have a bag that holds 275 beans and you need 320 beans.
                              get a bigger bag...
                              Last edited by rustybronco; 11-20-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X