79 gs1000e front forks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs1000e front forks question

im refreshing the front forks on my 79 and want to know if i can simply preload the springs with a longer spacer and just skip the air part or is the air preload a need part of this type of suspension, it appears this is just a simple damping rod fork setup,
    thanks
    dwfranke

Yes, it is "just a simple damping rod fork setup".

You might be able to just add a spacer. Depending on how far gone the springs are, there might not be enough tension left in them to raise the bike with more preload before they bind up. You can try the spacer, but if that does not work, get a set of fork springs from Progressive Suspension. Not all that expensive and definitely worth the investment. They are heavier springs and once you get the spacer length correct for them, you will not need additional air in the forks.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

does any one know the resting length of the spring so i can measure them while i have them out of the bike?

Comment

Fork spring free length for a GS1000E is 421mm standard, 416mm service limit. Oil level 140mm. (Fork compressed, spring out - measure to top of fork tube).

However, some 79 Es were fitted with the GS1000S springs (Suzuki parts bins again or an unannounced upgrade?). These are 351mm standard, 346mm service limit. Oil level 110mm.

You won't get them mixed up - the E springs won't compress (free length) to the same length as the S springs.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

does that mean if they are shorter than the minimum length that i should replace with new?
          thanks
          dwfranke1

Comment

Originally posted by dwfranke1 View Post
            does that mean if they are shorter than the minimum length that i should replace with new?
            Well, you could still ride it but your handling wouldn't be so clever. You could add spacers, or cut a length off and add a bigger spacer, but your best bet would be to put in some progressives. Cheap enough to do and a big gain for the money.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Well, you could still ride it but your handling wouldn't be so clever. You could add spacers, or cut a length off and add a bigger spacer, but your best bet would be to put in some progressives. Cheap enough to do and a big gain for the money.
              Agreed.........

Comment

Instead of stuffing in a spacer, cut a couple of inches off the springs and make up for the lost spring length with an extra long spacers. Cutting the coils will increase the spring rate and stiffen up the front end. I've done this on several forks over the years and it works like a charm.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i put in a 1 inch longer spacer and 20w oil and the stock spring that were still 418mm back in and i now have front suspension, thanks for all the suggestions, i plan on progressive springs, but that will have to wait till the rest of the work is done
                  thanks
                  dwfranke

Comment

Working...
                  X