Identifying the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying the Year

I am considering buying this bike for parts and would like to know the year. The owner says it's an '81 850G but another GSR says it's an '82. I tend to believe the GSR but i would like to get other opinions. I have a '79 GS850 and am looking for a parts bike that has many interchangeable parts.

What do you think???

Sorry for the link - working on the wife's MAC which i'm not familiar with.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

chrome rectangular turn signals, gauges, side covers, emblems on the side covers, wheels, seat lock on the rear extention, blue with gold stripes, tank shape, emblem on the signal gen cover, covers for the swing arm... 1982 with funny looking handle bars.
    dirty rotten shame it was left to die like that.

Does the engine turn over?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Agreed -- it's an '82.

The alloy footpeg mounting plate and several other details means '82 or '83, but the color means '82.

Blue '83 models came in a two-tone blue. '83 models also added a shroud at the top of the shocks, an alloy grab bar on the seat, and several other details.

It's a damn shame someone let it rot like that.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks again Dale and bwringer. I didn't want to miss a good deal if one could be had. Don't know if it turns over or not. I guess the owner has someone else interested in it and was waiting to see if i were still interested.

It is a shame, that's why i hate to get something that could have some life left in it and part it out.

I'll keep looking.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I agree that it's '82-and-up. And, considering that '83-and-up had black engines, I also put my determination at it being an '82.

Another thing to consider about using it as a parts bike. The clutch cover is a different shape (early ones still had the shape to accomodate the kick start lever) and the valve cover on this bike has 19 bolts. I can see the one in the middle of the back of the head in one of the pictures, meaning that there are more than just four in the back row. If you were to move the head and the cover over, it would not be a problem, but you would have to remember that your '79 bike would then need the '82-and-up valve cover gaskets.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X