Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring Widder electric accessories question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Widder electric accessories question.

Want to hook up these electrically heated clothing pieces.

20 watts electric gloves
    20 watts electric arm chaps
    35 watts electric vest
    75 watts total

On the 1983 GS1100E the battery is pretty difficult to get to if I recall correctly.

Question .. would it hurt to (temporarily) hook the hot side of the power cord to the hot side of the starter solenoid and the ground to the frame ?

Later when it is warmer .. I will dig the battery out and hook them up properly.

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
    Question .. would it hurt to (temporarily) hook the hot side of the power cord to the hot side of the starter solenoid and the ground to the frame ?
    No it would not hurt to do it that way, as long as you FUSE them with a proper inline fuse and connect it to a proper ground.
    I would highly suggest you install a male/female plug to make reconnecting and disconnecting
    them easier.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

if you don't already have one, get yourself a powerlet plug so you can easily hook and un hook everything from the bike.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks guys !!

Widder is proprietary so I went with the standard hookup.

It has an inline 10 amp blade type fuse.

May change later to a powerlet plug.

Comment

running my widder vest with a powerlet plug and adjustable control on my SV and haven't looked back. Heated clothing rocks!
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x

Comment

Cool .. I am sooo looking forward to this.

I only have the on/off switch .. guess the thermostat will be next year's upgrade.

My commute is about 30 minutes and there are a lot of days when I could ride but the chill in the morning persuades me to drive the .. car.

Originally posted by first timer View Post
            running my widder vest with a powerlet plug and adjustable control on my SV and haven't looked back. Heated clothing rocks!

Comment

it gets hot quick, i rarely go above the second setting on my adjuster. Thats in 50 degree weather. Doesn't get much colder here.
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

I normally use the solenoid end of the battery cable for accessories -- it's easy to get to and you don't have to juggle more wires when you mess with the battery.

That seems like a hell of an extra load to put on a GS charging system, but I guess someone has to try it and tell the rest of us...

With a healthy stator, good wiring connections throughout and a Honda R/R, I don't think anyone really knows what the upper limit is.

It also depends on your commute -- if it's all crawling through traffic and idling at stop lights, you'll probably have a problem.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My commute is about 25 miles and takes about 30 minutes depending on route .. very little traffic.

My bike has Rick's stator and r/r and an agm battery .. so I can attest to that setup .. and will report back in later.

Thanks again for all the help.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  I normally use the solenoid end of the battery cable for accessories -- it's easy to get to and you don't have to juggle more wires when you mess with the battery.

That seems like a hell of an extra load to put on a GS charging system, but I guess someone has to try it and tell the rest of us...

With a healthy stator, good wiring connections throughout and a Honda R/R, I don't think anyone really knows what the upper limit is.

It also depends on your commute -- if it's all crawling through traffic and idling at stop lights, you'll probably have a problem.

Comment

Mike,

Do you have a voltmeter on the bike so you can keep an eye on charging status?

You might also want to speed up the acquisition of the thermostat. That is, as long as it's the digital one, not the analog one. The digital thermostats use pulse-width modulation, so they use full power for only fractions of a second, then NO power for fractions of a second, then repeat. An analog controller will use FULL power ALL the time, only controlling how much of it gets diverted to the clothing and dumping the rest. That might be the difference between whether the gear will work with your charging system or not.

Also keep in mind that Widder is going out of business at the end of the year and all warranties will expire at that time.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve ..

I did not know the advantage of the digital thermostat .. that is the smartest course to take I think.

I will put a voltmeter on it soon.

I did switch it on and off a few times (waiting a few seconds between switching) both with the key on and the engine off .. then with the engine running ..

I could not tell the slightest dimming of the lights. .. not sure if I would be able to.

Yea .. I rolled the dice on the Widder stuff, but a good friend from Daytonville told me it was pretty good stuff

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Mike,

Do you have a voltmeter on the bike so you can keep an eye on charging status?

You might also want to speed up the acquisition of the thermostat. That is, as long as it's the digital one, not the analog one. The digital thermostats use pulse-width modulation, so they use full power for only fractions of a second, then NO power for fractions of a second, then repeat. An analog controller will use FULL power ALL the time, only controlling how much of it gets diverted to the clothing and dumping the rest. That might be the difference between whether the gear will work with your charging system or not.

Also keep in mind that Widder is going out of business at the end of the year and all warranties will expire at that time.

Comment

Well .. the first trip with the Widder gear was a cozy success.

Starting out in the upper 40s I was actually uncomfortable (no thermostat) but after the sun went down and as I was heading home .. the temp dropped into the low 30s.

Freeway speed was very comfortable. .. I could have ridden all night. .. no windshield or anything on my bike.

Pulling in the driveway, I checked the temp at 34.

I will do some tests with the meter, but everything was very warm feeling except the gloves .. so I wonder if they are getting enough juice.

Comment

Working...
                        X