82 1100e grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100e grounding

I noticed i have only one wire connected to the neg. terminal on my battery, and it is attached to the motor. I would have expected the frame would also be grounded directly (I realize it is indirectly). I see in another recent post it's a good idea to ground the R/R directly to the battery.

Is directly to the R/R and the motor enough, or should I also connect to the frame or battery box? Any other recommendations?

I plan to go through and clean up all connections. I have 3 intermittent idiot lights that are on for no reason.

If you're wondering why no one has responded do a search for "ground loop" and you'll know why.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why why why

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        Why why why
        Don't start!

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. .sort of. I have searched plenty and yes, there is so much information it's nearly impossible to pick through it.

Maybe I should ask this instead - is there a site or some other source that is a concise reference for to-dos? I don't want to be a bother w/ noob questions.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            don't start!

:d
            too late my man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              If you're wondering why no one has responded do a search for "ground loop" and you'll know why.
              I will respond.

Originally posted by Hank.SD View Post
              I don't want to be a bother w/ noob questions.
              No question is a bother.

What you would need to find first is a wiring diagram for your bike. a good place to find it is http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ then check where the other grounds are located, check that they are are properly attached and clean the connections.

after you do that, run a 12 Ga wire with crimped and soldered eyelets on the ends, from a cleaned bolt location on the frame, to one of the bolts on your R/R. preferredly to the same bolt that the R/R ground wire is attached to (if it was originally grounded at the R/R, I haven't looked at the diagram). then connect an eyeleted 12 Ga wire from that same bolt, to the battery negative post.

***edit*** what are the 3 lights that are on?
              Last edited by rustybronco; 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

GS Resources

Hank: I have to agree that the amount of information available is both fantastic and sometimes daunting to research.I am not complaining,I can't
                believe my luck in finding such a resource to rehab my GS1000's. I have been poring over this site soaking up info.I am printing anything I deem relevant to my project because,sometimes I can't find some things again that I previously read.
                The step by step tutorials are a blessing.The help by members in the forum is unbelievable.Pictures will be on the way.
                Thanks to all of you!
                Rover
                http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Rustybronco: Here's a virtual cold beverage of your choice on me. I appreciate the help.

Brake / tail / and head light warnings are all coming on intermittently. The actual lights are functioning fine.

All I really wanted here was a link to the info. I certainly don't expect someone to take the time to retype information that's been beaten to death... but it can be very time consuming and frustrating to dig through sometimes 100's of threads which often involve lengthy debates where there turns out to not even be a consensus. That said.. Thanks so much for responding to those who did.

I spent the last two years learning the ins and outs and how to fix the numerous factory shortcomings of my KTM. Great bike, but there are some factory issues that need attention. There is a single site (the HOW - halls of wisdom) that is very concise and has links or tutorials for every known issue and their fixes. It's a great thing for noobs like I was 2 yrs ago and also it saves the vets the frustration of having to rehash the same issues over and over. If there is a place like that for the GS... please let me know.

Regards,
                  Hank

Comment

Brake / tail / and head light warnings are all coming on intermittently. The actual lights are functioning fine.
                    This is not uncommon among the board members...I don't think its a ground issue.
                    I went through my whole harness, cleaning or replacing connectors...
                    I love grounds and have multiple grounds going to the battery, RR, frame and motor are all grounded to the battery.

Yet, my taillight warning light goes on and off intermittently...why? Don't know....
                    I've changed bulbs, cleaned the socket, checked all the wiring more than once...

I pretty much have given up worrying about it...

BTW...welcome to the board.
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

If there is a place like that for the GS... please let me know.
                      Hank,

The link Rusty gave you http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ is becoming the tool of choice for GS maintenance. Send one of those Virtual cold ones to Cliff. He has done a heck of a job putting that site together.

As far as the Lights go Im in the same boat. I believe it may be our Idiot light control module mounted on the frame under the tank just fwd of the the back mounting bolts.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Pull the tank, find a connector under the right-side frame rail that is directly over the carbs. Clean the terminals inside it, put it back together.

Just got done working on a similar 1100E for Mike Riddle (mriddle) and had the same problem. In his case, the connector was just barely touching. Simply pressing the halves together actually worked, but I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts before putting it together for good.

This connector has all the sensor wires that go to the computer that turns on all those warning lights. If the computer can't "see" the light, it thinks it's off.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          Send one of those Virtual cold ones to Cliff. He has done a heck of a job putting that site together.
                          Just one of those cold ones?

He deserve a whole CASE.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure the battery is disconnected when playing with that box. A voltage surge into that thing would be very expensive.

Radio Shack sells De Oxit kits . these clean and protect terminals from corrosion. I would spray the cleaner then the protector on the terminals. Fashion a rubber boot from a bicycle inner tube to slide over the connector to keep water out.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Clean the terminals inside it, put it back together.
                              Steve,
                              I have sprayed and cleaned those connectors 3-4 times and its not helped yet.

Im starting to wonder if maybe there is low voltage or high resistance somewhere causing the module to some how trigger the idiot lights. Its my tail and stop that go on and off. Ive changed the bulbs with dealer parts but that didnt help either.....

Oh yeah....... Where is this "Computer" you speak of ???
                              Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X