Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS850G running again, but missing sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850G running again, but missing sometimes.

Hey guys, here is the update:

Last night I got the body work back, put it all back together, started it up and Rrrraaarararrrrr. What a sweet sound. Oh, during the down time, I put on pods, stage 3 jet kit, and a 4-1 VH exhaust. I synced it and backed all the mixture screws out 4.5 turns out. So here is the problem.

Cyl 1 does not fire all the time. It fires:
    • When on full choke
    • When I hit the throttle hard to accelerate

When I rev it high and back it off, it backfires through the pipes. I pulled the plug, it sparks and was mildly wet.

What I think happened is that a little bit of gunk got into the carb. I had a water issue, I re-did the tank so there might have been dust/particles around. I'm planning on pulling the carbs for a quick clean.

If you have any other ideas, let me know. The 3 cycls that were firing were running great. Can't wait to get going.

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
    Hey guys, here is the update:

Last night I got the body work back, put it all back together, started it up and Rrrraaarararrrrr. What a sweet sound. Oh, during the down time, I put on pods, stage 3 jet kit, and a 4-1 VH exhaust. I synced it and backed all the mixture screws out 4.5 turns out. So here is the problem.

Cyl 1 does not fire all the time. It fires:
    • When on full choke
    • When I hit the throttle hard to accelerate
    When I rev it high and back it off, it backfires through the pipes. I pulled the plug, it sparks and was mildly wet.

What I think happened is that a little bit of gunk got into the carb. I had a water issue, I re-did the tank so there might have been dust/particles around. I'm planning on pulling the carbs for a quick clean.

If you have any other ideas, let me know. The 3 cycls that were firing were running great. Can't wait to get going.
    I would start there and if you have not replaced the o-rings behind the intake rubbers, I would do that as well. Popping in the exhaust is almost always lean...

Comment

New boots and o-rings. New valve adjustment. Thanks.

Comment

Guys, where's the best source for new boots?

So far the lowest price I could find was at SHS Powersports.

Comment

I just bought them at my local OEM parts dealer. Now back to MY thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
            I just bought them at my local OEM parts dealer. Now back to MY thread...
            OK back to you. CLEAN your carbs (the long way), put things back together and ride the bike. Next thread, please...

Comment

Originally posted by dave8338 View Post
              next thread, please...
              doh!!!!!!!

Comment

So, more weird happenings.

Cleaned the carb out, a little bit a gunk in there. Installed, didn't run for a wire. Switched spark plug 1 and 4, 4 started not to work. Replaced spark plug. 4 still not working. Switched wires, didn't matter. Switched spark plug between 3 and 4, 4 still not working. Things are still synched. I'm going to pullem all on saturday and clear them all out again. I think it is gunk.

Comment

How long has it been since the bike ran well on all four cylinders?

If it is just being awakened after a winter sleep, you might as well pull the carbs all the way down and dip them.
                  With new boots, o-rings and a valve adjustment, I think you are only a good carb cleaning away from a nice-running bike.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I cleaned them just last year. When I pulled them out, they were clean except a little bit of rust dust from the tank being off then refilled. Plus, I cant attest to the cleanliness of the tank I put the gas into (and I reused the gas). A quick clean and new gas, and I think she will be roaring.

Comment

be sure to clean the very small passages in the float bowls...
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Update: All works! Cleaned the carbs and got new gas. Runs like a champ. I will make a large, new post soon with many pictures. Probably Saturday. See you guys then.

Comment

Working...
                        X