Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thread crossed right at the tip.. can it be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thread crossed right at the tip.. can it be fixed?

Note the picture

Seems as though the very tip of the the threaded rod is crossed / stripped. The threaded rod screwed right off the bracket until it got the bitter end. I managed to just pull it off from the throttle bracket. However, upon inspection, it seems the "first thread" on the rod is crossed. Enough to prevent me from just screwing on the nut (as scene in this photo).

Is there a way I mend this? Can I dremel the very tip off?

thanks

Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2009, 12:14 PM.

Originally posted by maro View Post
    Note the picture

Seems as though the very tip of the the threaded rod is crossed / stripped. The threaded rod screwed right off the bracket until it got the bitter end. I managed to just pullit off from the throttle bracket. However, upon inspection, it seems the "first thread" on the rod is crossed. Enough to prevent me from just screwing on the nut (as scene in this photo).

Is there a way I med this? Can I dremel the very tip off?

thanks

[ATTACH]6290[/ATTACH]
    run a file around the top thread. bit of patience and care and you will be able to get the nut on again
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It looks like there are nuts on the threaded portion already. If that's the case, back them off a few times over the bad spots and you should be good to go. A file will work also as previously suggested.

Comment

A hobby sized triangle file will do the deed. They run about $5 for a set and will clean up any threads on bolts and such. You can also run a threading die if you have one and know the size. The file should be much easier to find and will cost you less.

Comment

A fine toothed hack saw blade, held at an angle can be used to dress up bad threads.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

good stuff guys,

thanks for tips, I will try the file method.

cheers

Comment

If this is a semi common occurance, you can also get a "thread file", like in the link below. I think I got mine at Carquest. Thank the cable with you to get the right thread pitch. This is made for just such a situation.

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult View Post
                If this is a semi common occurance, you can also get a "thread file", like in the link below. I think I got mine at Carquest. Thank the cable with you to get the right thread pitch. This is made for just such a situation.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kas2670.html
                Dittos on the metric thread file. Very handy item to have, and in this case it's almost too easy because you can actually reach the whole fastener. I got mine at McMaster-Carr:
                McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  A fine toothed hack saw blade, held at an angle can be used to dress up bad threads.

This one works best and is well known around here!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    This one works best and is well known around here!
                    Do you grind off the sides of the teeth also?
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      Do you grind off the sides of the teeth also?
                      No I do not and usually use a junior hacksaw or a normal one with fine teeth depending. I have found that the teeth still easily reaches the damaged thread and does not easily harm the next good thread.
                      A slight buff with the stainless steel brush wheel on the bench grinder polishes any burs away and the nut goes on smoothly. Sometimes I just take the first millimeter away on the bench grinder untill the damaged thread is reached and then just sligtly taper the bolt at the start and buff it with the steel wire wheel and the problem is solved, same as when you shorten a bolt.

I have cut many bolts and then realised that I forgot to put a nut on before and then resorted to this.

Comment

Working...
                      X