bogging out at half to full throtle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bogging out at half to full throtle

Well, after doing a full teardown and rebuild of my carbs it seemed to aleviate one problem, but now it has uncovered another one. Bike will start and idle great, but is bogging out at throtle.

Have what seems to be good spark, lots of fuel, but just wont go when on the throtle.

Any ideas?

Thanx guys

What bike do you own?

What type of air filters?

Did you replace the O-rings on the intake manifold?

Good Luck!

Rick

Comment

it is a 81 GS 1000, and no did not repalce the intake o rings, they were still soft and pliable, no visible cracks, so didn't tackle that, air filters are the cone style KandN's brand new

Comment

Originally posted by Legend View Post
        it is a 81 GS 1000, and no did not repalce the intake o rings, they were still soft and pliable, no visible cracks, so didn't tackle that, air filters are the cone style KandN's brand new
        Did you rejet maybe a Stage One kit or similar? When running pods without a rejet, you'll be running lean. You could try and shim the jet needles but it may not be enough.

Comment

Do you have the original air filter? You could try that.

Any other possible air leaks---mufflers?

Someone must have replaced your O-rings--mine snapped into pieces like spaggetti noodles.

Hopefully someone more familiar with your bike will respond.

Basscliff has a check list and a welcome unless you already got it.

I would also check the valve clearances soon. If they are tight this will affect the performance in a big way.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Legend View Post
            Well, after doing a full teardown and rebuild of my carbs it seemed to aleviate one problem, but now it has uncovered another one. Bike will start and idle great, but is bogging out at throtle.

Have what seems to be good spark, lots of fuel, but just wont go when on the throtle.

Any ideas?

Thanx guys
            All the symptoms of air leaks

Full tear down - not without new O rings in the carbs

Pods - what jets are you running?

Intake O rings - this is the most probable source of your problem, followed by the intake boots themselves
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

By full teardown I meant new rings, dipped and rebuilt. Carbs have a stage 1 jet kit in them, and we played with every setting on the needles, shimming up made them worse, shimming down made it worse, so we returned them to the origional possition. Which made it alright, but still no good. I am getting about one good pull on the throttle, then the next one is bogging out. Let the bike sit, restart, and same thing, one good pull and the next is crap.

I have also sprayed water around the intake boots, and carbs, with the hope that if there was an air leak that it would suck in the water and cause it to miss. did not find any problems at idle, or mid throtle.

I have gone over BasCliff's website and used it as my bible, but have not gotten much result.

Valve clearances were good, sitting at .06, and the range is .05-.08 if I remember correctly. Either way was in range.

Comment

Did you set your float levels to factory specs when you rebuilt the carbs. If your float level was too low, you could be running the bowls out of fuel between pulls.

Comment

Testing for air leaks does not always reveal the problem, don't ask me why, it's from reports from owners.

So, start with fuel flow issues - does your petcock flow enough gas? Does the poor throttle response happen when you turn it to Prime? Float levels as above

What do your spark plugs look like?

Do you have access to a Colortune?

Sounds like you've done good work so far.
                  Last edited by Big T; 04-15-2009, 06:16 PM.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

For pod air filters, you should have a stage 3 carb kit

Comment

how is the fuel flow from the tank? did you try it on prime?
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Petcock vacuum

I had a similar problem when I was working on my bike. I had the vacuum line that goes to the petcock off and runnning on prime. I connected the vacuum line and it revved normally after that. Mine is a gs450 with two carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                          For pod air filters, you should have a stage 3 carb kit

This could be your issue.

Stage 1 is for stock airbox or aftermarket filter with a stock or performance exhaust.

The pods should only be run with a stage 3 kit.

Also, when you said the intake o-rings were soft and pliable, did you check the o-rings themselves or just the intake boots??

If you're getting one good pull and then nothing, it's either REALLY starved for fuel or REALLY getting too much fuel. Basically, it's like what was suggested above that you're draining the float bowls...or it could be the exact opposite and way too much fuel is getting into the float bowls causing it to flood out.

Good advice otherwise in the thread, but I think you may want to think about getting a different jet kit, or go back to the stock airbox.

Comment

What did your full throttle plug chops indicate?
                            I would guess bigger main jets would be needed but without seeing the plugs it's just a guess.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If the bike has stock jets intended for use with an airbox and pods have been installed, its running too lean. If so, returning to stock airbox and filter or rejetting for the increased air with the pods should solve the problem.

Earl
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X