Should I buy this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy this?

I need to tune my carbs but looking for something inexpensive. I know the morgan tuner is a popular choice on this site but will this do the trick? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this type of tuner? Is it accurate?

Originally posted by syren View Post
    I need to tune my carbs but looking for something inexpensive. I know the morgan tuner is a popular choice on this site but will this do the trick? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this type of tuner? Is it accurate?
    It's only as accuate as the tolerance between the gauges. Personally, I don't like them and think they're a waiste of good money. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Comment

I have a set DON'T waste your money.

Comment

I need to tune my carbs but looking for something inexpensive.
        Cheep and works...
        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

It ain't a carbtune, but...

You can pm "bplubin" and get a 2nd opinion on how well it works. we used it on his 77 gs750 last saturday.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 04-21-2009, 04:22 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Motion Pro

Anyone use a Motion Pro? I have one I bought in 2002 from J.C.Whitney for around $32 bucks.( uses Mercury) I never used it.(long story) Anyway,now
          that I'm reviving my GS1000 I plan on using it to sync my carbs after I clean them.

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Anyone use a Motion Pro?
            Yes, I have used both models that Motion Pro offers. You say yours has mercury. It will be the most accurate, but the mercury reservoir on the one that I used was dangerously flimsy. It had a snap-lock lid on the reservoir that refused to stay closed. Their other model uses a blue fluid that is claimed to be "mercury-free", but there is no clue as to what it is. I have use it, too, and found it to be just as accurate as the mercury.

The dial-type gauges asked about in the original post can also be accurate, but need to be checked every time you use them. Motion Pro includes a nice manifold to enable you to connect all four columns to the same vacuum source so they can be equalized. (This is not necessary with mercury.)

The idea of using a single gauge and a manifold to switch between the carbs seems like a good idea until you try it. If you happen to be very lucky and get it VERY close with a good bench sync, the single gauge will do OK. I have verified this for myself when I visited Lurch12-2000 last year. He had synched his carbs with a single gauge, I checked them with my mercury gauges and they were so close I did not want to adjust them for fear I might get them worse, instead of better. If, however, you are not that close with your bench sync, you will be chasing your own tail trying to sync them with a single gauge. When you have the opportunity to see all four vacuum values at one time, you will be amazed how one small adjustment can affect ALL the readings, not just the two you are trying to balance.

Personally, I would like a Morgan unit when finances allow. The Dollar is strong against the Pound right now, so you can get one for less than $90.
            Until the time that I can get one, I will continue to use my SIX-column mercury gauge set.
            Yep, paid the extra bucks for it 30 years ago when I had a KZ1300, have never regretted it.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The idea of using a single gauge and a manifold to switch between the carbs seems like a good idea until you try it. If you happen to be very lucky and get it VERY close with a good bench sync, the single gauge will do OK. I have verified this for myself when I visited Lurch12-2000 last year. He had synched his carbs with a single gauge, I checked them with my mercury gauges and they were so close I did not want to adjust them for fear I might get them worse, instead of better. If, however, you are not that close with your bench sync, you will be chasing your own tail trying to sync them with a single gauge.
              The bench sync I did on those 750 carbs were 8, 8, 8.5, 8.
              I have done CV carbs that were off by 2 in. Hg across the bank and didnt spend more than 15 minutes synching them. It just takes practice...

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                The bench sync I did on those 750 carbs were 8, 8, 8.5, 8.
                I have done CV carbs that were off by 2 in. Hg across the bank and didnt spend more than 15 minutes synching them. It just takes practice...
                FAT skills, ya gotta luv em! Practice and patience goes a looooong way.

Comment

The bench sync I did on those 750 carbs were 8, 8, 8.5, 8. ...
                  Very commendable results, Rusty, but I'd like to clarify something for the newbies that are getting ready to do their first carb sync: IGNORE THE NUMBERS.

What Rusty got with his bike won't necessarily be what you get with your bike. He got 8 to 8.5. If he had done this at an engine speed just a couple hundred rpm higher, the numbers might have been 10 to 10.5. Someone else might get 7.

THE NUMBERS DON'T REALLY MATTER, it's the relative balance between the cylinders that matters.
                  In fact, many of the mercury gauges don't even have numbers. There are marks about 2 cm apart, but no numbers.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, you are correct.
                    The numbers arrived at, on one of the last hondas I did, was around 10.
                    the numbers are nothing more than a mark on the the dial to compare each carb to the others.

Comment

Cheep and works...
                      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

It ain't a carbtune, but...

You can pm "bplubin" and get a 2nd opinion on how well it works. we used it on his 77 gs750 last saturday.
                      Rusty, do you know where I can buy one?

Comment

Rusty, do you know where I can buy one?
                        I made it out of a vacuum gauge, a 4 gang aquarium valve and the plastic tubing for fish tank usage. I used a brass pipe cap and drilled a hole in the bottom for a metal barbed connector and soldered them together, wrapped the threads on the gauge with teflon tape and screwed the cap on the vacuum gauge.

used vacuum gauge $4.00
                        4 gang valve and tubing $8-9.00? I bought at a grocery store.
                        misc parts I had (cap fitting, barbed connector, bolts)
                        Last edited by rustybronco; 04-22-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X