Another Carb Issue- 1982 GS850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Carb Issue- 1982 GS850L

I recently got a 1982 GS850L with less than 7000 miles back on the road. This bike has sat since 1993, so the carbs were really nasty internally. Last fall I had the carbs cleaned and sync'd at a local motorcycle dealership (Cha-ching, cha-ching for them) and got it running. It would idle perfectly, but when revving it over 2500 RPM it would stumble and bog like it was running extremely lean. I have been able to get it to be rideable, but last weekend the #3 carb started leaking. I suspect some more crud has broken loose, but what I was wondering was if the wrong size jets were installed. How do I tell what size jets I have when I remove the carbs? I noticed the jets are numbered, but are they stamped on the jets somewhere? Also, if the jets are too small, is there somewhere I can order the correct jets without forking over a ton of money for a kit? I would appreciate any help on this as it is a great bike to ride.

Carb cleanup... http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

o-rings available from Robert Barr cycleorings.com

carb specs are available in this thread... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=73723

and completely re-seal the air cleaner!

search this forum and your head will explode with all the info needed.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

How do I tell what size jets I have when I remove the carbs?
      There is a number on them

I noticed the jets are numbered, but are they stamped on the jets somewhere?
      Yes

Also, if the jets are too small, is there somewhere I can order the correct jets without forking over a ton of money for a kit?
      Yes..JetsRUs sells individual jets http://www.jetsrus.com/

Chances are the jets you have are correct. Sounds like you just need to clean the carb properly and replace the o-rings. You should consider replacing the intake o-rings if your bike uses them. Make sure airbox is sealed and has a clean filter.
      Before putting clean carbs on your bike, either install an inline filter or make sure there isn't any rust in your tank . Nothing worse than having to remove your newly cleaned carbs and have to clean them again.(ask me how I know)

Comment

Thanks for replies. I got a feeling some more crud broke loose after riding it for awhile and got into the carbs. I also found the procedure on how to take them apart on this website, I'm gonna print it off as a handy reference. I cleaned and sealed the gas tank, but I'm going to drain it and check to see there's anything in it that may be floating around. Thanks again................

Comment

Jets

I think there's a very good chance that the jets are incorrect. Also, with Mikuni jets, they are numbered but some of the cheap aftermarket jets are not. As others have suggested, you should pull the carbs, dip them, replace the "O" rings and make certain you've got the correct Mikuni jets in place. It's a fairly easy job the first time and it gets really easy after you've done it a couple of times.

I think there's a very good chance that the bike shop took serious short cuts and may have done nothing more than use carb cleaner on them without even totally disassembling them. I would also advise that you don't take the bike back to that shop.
          Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-30-2009, 06:12 PM.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thought I'd give a update to the panel of experts who responded to my thread-

Here's what I found once I started into these carbs- they are jetted correctly (no. 115's), and I got alot of crud out of the fuel passages in between the carbs. This was my bad- I forgot to clean out the petcock until after I had rode it several times. I also checked the floats, and they were off a little (approx. 1-1 1/8 inches). I corrected these and fired it up again- the same thing. It'll start up and once it warmed up it'll purr like a kitten. But rev it up past 3200 RPM and you get the farty-moaning sound and it falls off.

Sooo- here's my latest theory after printing off the excellent docs on this carb. I think the jet needles are way off and never lifting off the main jets. I think the only way it's getting fuel is from the low speed circuit. I'm going to disassemble the slides after I get a pair of C-clip pliers and check it out. My question is- how do I know if they are out of adjustment??

Comment

The needles aren't adjustable. The diaphragms can have pinholes in them. Check them with a bright light behind them. Also check and see if the slides are not sticking. You should be able to push them up and they return down quickly.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

But rev it up past 3200 RPM and you get the farty-moaning sound and it falls off.
                Have you checked your advance mechanism under the ignition cover. If this is sticking the timing will not be correct.

You need to get the carbs meticulously clean or the bike is not going to run right. Float height has to be set correctly, carbs have to be both bench and vaccuum synced. Also no intake leaks. I know it takes some time to get this done but it's got to be done if you want your bike to run
                correctly.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GEEWIZ,

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my website. Have a heaping helping.

Here is your official "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X