Noob question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob question

First post here. Hauled home a '80 GS550L that set since 1985 with supposedly 1394 miles on it. Pull plugs and lube cylinders. Install new battery. I cleaned the carbs (no dip) thoroughly and reassembled. No petcock on tank so improvised tank (bottle with hose barb). Bike cranks 4 or 5 turns and fires up. Will only run on full choke, dies if given any throttle. Further investigation shows intake boots seperationg from metal flanges. Order intakes. Tired of waiting so try epoxy but no new o-rings, no success. Still waiting on intakes and o-rings. Searched internet for GS forums. Joined GSResources. Search function says epoxy will not work!
    Here's my question: will the intake leak(s) cause this condition? It will also pop occasionally out the carbs if you can get it to rev with the full choke.
    Thanks in adavance for all the help!
    Old_Chopper
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM.

I can't see your bike, so here is my general answer...

yes bad carb adaptors and/or vacuum leaks can cause the condition you are describing, but do you know for SURE that every passage, jet and item is clean in your carbs? have you looked through every jet to make sure it is clean? have you measured and set the float heights properly? is your air box installed with a properly maintained air filter?

if not, do yourself a favor... take them apart a do it again while you wait for your parts. it will be time well spent.

one more suggestion... before you ride, fix/renew/check everything from the front tire to the rear tyre. it's been a long time sitting.

***edit*** you may think it will kill you to do this, but the bike doesn't care if IT kills you. ride safe...
    Last edited by rustybronco; 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

What he said ^

oh, and welcome aboard. Nessism will be along shortly to offer advice (just kidding Ness ).

Seriously though, Cliff will be along at some stage with the welcome wagon.

Cheers.

Comment

Welcome aboard.

As Rusty says, you can't be half-assed about this. If you don't do a thorough job, you will always be chasing your tail. Pull the carbs and do a full on cleaning and rebuild as per the tutorial on the main page.

Once you have that out of the way have a look at a) brakes b) charging system.

With a bike that has sat as long as that it will require a lot of attention to the brakes and this is one area you cannot afford to scrimp on.I don't know your mechanical aptitude but while brakes are not difficult they do need to be done correctly. If you have any doubts farm them out to an expert. If you do have some aptitude, get a manual ( see BikeCliff's site for copies) and pull calipers and master cylinders for cleaning/rebuilding. Rebuild kits are available from the likes of Z1 Enterprises (members), BikeBandit, Dennis Kirk etc.. Again don't scrimp on this as brakes are a matter of life and death.

The electrical systems on these bikes are somewhat of an Achilles heal, especially as relates to charging. Lots and lots of threads on this so do some reading. Hopefully, you will be charging ok and you might not need to do much more than clean up connections and grounds. If you do notice any electrical issues, always start with cleaning up your grounds as many issues are just as a result of inadequate and or bad grounds.

Lots to do to get these old beauties going strong but once you tidy them up they are a blast.

Enjoy and post some pics.....we love pics.

Cheers,
        spyug

Comment

I am 99% sure all jets are clear. I blasted thru them with carb cleaner ensuring it shot thru. I will remove the bowls and check jets again. All 4 cylinders are firing. The airbox is removed, will be using individual filters. I know this will require tuning when the time comes. The stock filter had literally turned to dust.
          I hope it doesn't offend anyone here but the bike will be used for a retro chopper project. Springer front, rigid rear, king-queen seat with 42" sissy bar type of deal. So I should have quite a few stock parts for sale soon. Just want to hear the engine sing and ride thru the gears before spending any $$$.

Comment

Pics

Here is the only pic I have so far.

Comment

Welcome !!

As mentioned we really like pictures. Using the search feature will unveil years of threads for tuning with pods and ideas for your mods.

Here's how to post up to four pics via photobucket.

Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
                I am 99% sure all jets are clear. I blasted thru them with carb cleaner ensuring it shot thru. I will remove the bowls and check jets again. All 4 cylinders are firing. The airbox is removed, will be using individual filters. I know this will require tuning when the time comes. The stock filter had literally turned to dust.
                also, make sure the passage in each bowl for the choke circuit is clean, then bench synch and re-install.
                you do know you can purchase the foam filter separately? you might want to try that first before you install pods and have to re-jet the carbs.
                Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
                I hope it doesn't offend anyone here but the bike will be used for a retro chopper project.
                It's yours to enjoy as you like...
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

+1 on doing the carbs per the tutorial. Can't skimp on this one.

Are your carbs vacum operated? If so, do you have the vacum line capped off?

A little advice on putting pods (individual air filters) on it. I would go back to stock until the bike is running right. My bike is very sensitive to any type of air flow changes, i don't know if putting pods on a bike you are in the process of getting running is going to help the situation.

Anyhoo, welcome aboard. This is a great forum. Practically any question you have could probably be found in the search feature, and for all the other questions there are some extrmeley knowledgable people here that will get you through it.

Happy Wrenching!!!!

Comment

The stock air box is toast. I understand getting it correct stock before installing pods but that just wasn't an option. I am not terribly concerned with nailing the jetting right now, I just want to ensure the motor and trans are sound before spending money on this build. I guess a compression test would tell me a lot but I would feel better if I rode just a couple miles. Once the build is complete I will have to tune the carbs.
                    The valves will get checked while the engine is out of the frame. The odometer and title show 1300 miles but I am just not sure. I do know for fact the bike has set in a shop since 1985. That's all I am sure of.
                    Yes the vacuum line is plugged.

Comment

Working...
                    X