Gasket scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket scans

I would like to gather together full size scans of gaskets used on the GS bikes and have them in a sticky thread on the GSR. Black and white full size scans can be used to trace out new cover gaskets to save time and money. Anyone who has needed a stator gasket only to have to wait a week and pay 14 dollars for one at the dealer knows what I am talking about.

I'm going to start with the GS650 gaskets I have and post them on photo bucket.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Great idea. Was thinking about making some, just wasn't sure I could find good gasket material. Got any info on the thickness or type? I would be willing to try. Thanks,Your a good man, I don't care what those other guys said.

Comment

Hi Mr. duaneage,

I just happen to have a few extra gaskets hanging up on the wall in my garage; clutch cover, ignition cover, stator cover, etc. I'll see if they fit in my scanner. Nice idea. I thought about buying some gasket paper and just using the new gaskets as a template. Your idea will be even more convenient for everybody. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Nice idea, but how do you guarantee that they will be full-size?

I am going to presume that when scanning, we don't need to use the super, mega-detailed 4800 dpi setting?
        Something tells me that something between 75 and 300 dpi would have sufficient accuracy.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll compare them to the original and you'll have to trust me. When you print them out on paper you can compare them to the case and see if they are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Nice idea, but how do you guarantee that they will be full-size?
            I was thinking the same thought...

perhaps each scan should have a small scale in it as well, something like a 6" scale adjacent to the gasket so you could actually measure the graduations when you print out your "template" & verify the size is correct. If it's off, you could enlarge or reduce the image in the printer...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

GS650G/GL stator gasket scan

link:

Comment

This could also be a great way to make youre own gasket sets. For those truly adventurous type. Hell, if you guys can provide a true sized image, Id be willing to convert as many as I can into vectored images that a CAD matt cutter could use.

Comment

I have to say this is a great Idea

Comment

Rather than a sticky, maybe Frank could host them in the garage.

Comment

Can you do the clutch cover next?

Hello Duanage,

Great idea and a god send in my case. I live in Guatemala and have been waiting for three months for the dealer to get the clutch cover gasket to change the shifter seal and bearing. So far, we are still waiting to see if it arrives in the next shipment.

I have a GS650GLD. I have to do a valve job as well, IF the cover gasket could be done as well.....

Thanks from Central America.

Comment

I'll do the clutch cover and cam cover today and post them. I have the 16 bolt cam cover, the 17 bolt is different. you might be able to tweak the 16 bolt scan to work but it would be better to have a 17 bolt scan.

Comment

Just wondering ? If you don't have a good gasket could you scan the cover and print it out then cut it out for a template? as long as the cover or part is flat?

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                            I live in Guatemala and have been waiting for three months for the dealer to get the clutch cover gasket to change the shifter seal and bearing.

I have a GS650GLD. I have to do a valve job as well, IF the cover gasket could be done as well.....
                            Do you have access to the gasket material needed? if you do have the proper material, all takes is a small ball pein hammer to make one. http://www.professionalequipment.com...7s_product.jpg

take the gasket material and place it over the cover, then take your hammer and tap around the edges of the cover on a 30-45 degree angle with the gasket material held in place on the cover. that hammering it will cut out the shape for you.

to make the small holes, use the round end of the ball pein and tap where the small holes are to give an outline for the hole placement. remove the newly made gasket and place on hard flat surface, place a small compression union ferrule http://press.kscdirect.com/wp-conten...tylok_part.jpg , the size of the required hole, over the mark left in the gasket and "punch" out the material for the bolt holes.

for any large holes, such as a dowel hole, mark and cut them out with a razor blade, or a hobbyist's knife.

I have made a 19 hole valve cover gasket on my '82 valve (cam) cover with a dye (red grease in my case) a pencil and cutting the outline with a razor blade and punching the holes with a ferrule. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...61&postcount=9

but it took me 6 hours...
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 05-16-2009, 09:39 AM.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I made a stator cover gasket and it only took me about 15 min. I was lucky to have a complete old gasket so it was an easy matter to trace out the pattern using an old gasket and then cut to shape using scissors and x-acto. To make the holes a paper hole punch works well depending on the hole sizes (the hole punch matches the common case screw hole size). Another thing to use is a piece of tubing the appropriate shape; sharpen the tubing and then use a hammer to punch the holes. Easy job. Getting scans of the gaskets is a great idea. I can help out with scans of a few gaskets but don't know how to assure the exact size is maintained. I'll play around with a few scans to see how it turns out....
                              Last edited by Nessism; 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X