No announcement yet.

Gasket scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would come in handy if you'd place a clear metric ruler / scale in with the gasket when you scan. Another item that will keep you sane for longer (if that's possible) is a hollow punch set. An inexpensive set will suffice for this purpose. Here's one, I'm sure there are many sources for these:

It'll cut nice clean bolt holes, so you don't have to work yourself blind with an Exacto knife. Guess how I know this...
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

You can insert a scale into the scan after the fact with some programs. I just did a 1100 16V gasket scan in two files. I will combine them and insert a reference line for page break.

You print it in two sheets, line up the reference marks and then you have the template. It's always better to buy the gasket for special purposes but in a pinch this works.

How many times have we sat around waiting for gaskets to show up? The worst thing to hear is " we have to order it".
      Last edited by duaneage; 05-16-2009, 10:42 AM.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        How many times have we sat around waiting for gaskets to show up? The worst thing to hear is " we have to order it".
        That's why I bought (5) '82-3 cam cover gaskets for 19.95 shipped.

I have a boat load of '82 gs850 gaskets I can scan.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post

It'll cut nice clean bolt holes, so you don't have to work yourself blind with an Exacto knife. Guess how I know this...
          I bought a hand held paper hole punch at Staples for a dollar that cuts perfect 6 mm holes in the gasket for bolt holes.

Comment

This is a very good suggestion. I have read about this method before, but a question arises regarding the gasket material. I have read in this forum that there are consequences regarding using the wrong thickness. Specially with both the gaskets I need. Is there a specific gage gasket material for the job? I have even heard that some mechanics use brown paper sacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
              This is a very good suggestion. I have read about this method before, but a question arises regarding the gasket material. I have read in this forum that there are consequences regarding using the wrong thickness. Specially with both the gaskets I need. Is there a specific gage gasket material for the job? I have even heard that some mechanics use brown paper sacks!
              Gasket paper comes in various thicknesses. The side cover gaskets are 1/2 mm thick or .020". The valve cover gasket is about twice that thick but you best measure to be sure.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I use 1/32" paper rated for oil and gas. It is 6 dollars a roll and is enough for 3 stator gaskets or 1 clutch and 1 stator gasket. Valve cover gaskets should use 1/16" inch material (that is how thick OEM is) and it is easier to work with for a delicate gasket

Comment

I use 1/32" paper rated for oil and gas. It is 6 dollars a roll and is enough for 3 stator gaskets or 1 clutch and 1 stator gasket. Valve cover gaskets should use 1/16" inch material (that is how thick OEM is) and it is easier to work with for a delicate gasket
                  Just a reminder that gasket thickness on some model valve covers is really important. It affects the correct tacho drive gear meshing and clearances. Also, too thin material on the ignition cover can cause the rotor to contact the cover, with some aftermarket conversions.
                  The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
                    Just wondering ? If you don't have a good gasket could you scan the cover and print it out then cut it out for a template? as long as the cover or part is flat?
                    Great thread duaneage and great question. Yes you can, I just scanned a GS1000 points cover and found a couple of interesting things. The scanner is a cheap Canon multi function ink thing and the printer is an HP laser. First I scanned, saved as a PDF and printed. This worked OK but the scaling was out as Acrobat usually prints at 96% of original size. I printed at 104% and the scale was correct. Second I scanned and saved as a JPG, opened with PhotoShop and printed. The scaling was perfect with no adjustments needed. WooHoo! The only thing you have to do is cover the object on the scanner with a white cloth as the lid won't close and I scanned as a black & white document to get the most contrast out of the scanner. Next question, will an inkjet or laser printer print on gasket paper if you cut it to size for the printer? I don't have any gasket paper so I'll leave that one for some else. Be aware that if it's a coated paper it might be bad for the fuser in a laser printer.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Hi Mr. duaneage, et al,

I finally got around to scanning the gaskets I had in the garage. Unfortunately, the clutch cover gasket would not fit on my scanner. I'll have to work with that, scan it in parts, and use an alignment mark as has been suggested. Until then, I've added a Gasket Template page to my little BikeCliff website with the ignition, stator, and starter cover gaskets. Thanks to Duane for the great suggestion.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Nice idea, but how do you guarantee that they will be full-size?

Hi Mr. Steve,

As I stated on my little gaskets page, just be sure to set your printer driver to print "actual size" or "original size" instead of "fit to page". I printed all of my gasket scans and compared them, no problems. Be sure to print from a picture editor (like IrfanView) and not a web browser.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2009, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I have a few to scan, like a new valve cover for the '81 1100E with one extra hole. Have several 850/750 gaskets sitting here too. Can anyone scan this valve cover without the extra hole?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Duane, did you scan and post these?

I'll do the clutch cover and cam cover today and post them. I have the 16 bolt cam cover, the 17 bolt is different. you might be able to tweak the 16 bolt scan to work but it would be better to have a 17 bolt scan.

For a while I thought they would be posted in basscliff's site, eventually, but maybe you forgot

be really greatful to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                              Great thread duaneage and great question. Yes you can, I just scanned a GS1000 points cover and found a couple of interesting things. The scanner is a cheap Canon multi function ink thing and the printer is an HP laser. First I scanned, saved as a PDF and printed. This worked OK but the scaling was out as Acrobat usually prints at 96% of original size. I printed at 104% and the scale was correct. Second I scanned and saved as a JPG, opened with PhotoShop and printed. The scaling was perfect with no adjustments needed. WooHoo! The only thing you have to do is cover the object on the scanner with a white cloth as the lid won't close and I scanned as a black & white document to get the most contrast out of the scanner. Next question, will an inkjet or laser printer print on gasket paper if you cut it to size for the printer? I don't have any gasket paper so I'll leave that one for some else. Be aware that if it's a coated paper it might be bad for the fuser in a laser printer.

Not a bad scan at all, one should note that printers print black areas and not white so inverted colors may be a better setup.

As far as feeding gasket paper in the printer not many printers can handle 1/32" thick or thicker paper. Most would be lucky if construction paper is listed as an acceptable material in their printers.

Comment

I have been a bit busy lately but i did scan the clutch cover gasket in. Problem is I need to assemble the images and it will need to be printed on two sheets. If you can do 11x17 it can go on one sheet.

Comment

Working...
                                X