No announcement yet.

Front wheel locked up -- Brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great!!, It something you won't do again. We all make mistakes like that. I do anyway. Not as much as I used to but I am a lot older now.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      The fact that both calapers are draging I would check the master. If you disconnect the line from the master will the wheel turn ?? . No ? Get a spray can of brake clean, spray the calapers down good. Pry them apart, big screwdriver works great. pump the master, spray cleaner, pry apart. Do it several times should get rid of whatever gunk is binding the calapers.
      Any thing else, time for calaper rebuild
      No disrespect Lynn, but what you advocate will just move the crud inside the caliper out of the way. The piston may start to work properly for a while, but that crud is still inside and likely to surface again.

A better solution is to do a tear down and clean out everything properly.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had a feeling it was a bearing(s) binding. What you described was classic symptoms. You shouldn't have done any damage since you didn't ride it that way.

Comment

GRRRRR

OK. I just broke off one of the bolt like things at the bottom of the outer fork tube. Guess I will be posting in parts wanted forum. I was buttoning everything up and rechecking all my torques. Guess I will also be returning my new torque wrench.

If anyone has one for sale/trade/free please PM. It's the left (clutch lever side) tube if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the words about admitting my embarrassing mistake. I have been frustrated by threads that end with no solution which is why I did it. I'm sure I'm probably not the only one who will ever do what I did. Plus, its only fair to provide a solution given how many I've received.

Comment

If your talking about the studs at the bottom of the fork, they come out. Drill and use a reverse helix bit like they sell at Sears.

Comment

Originally posted by zathros View Post
              If your talking about the studs at the bottom of the fork, they come out. Drill and use a reverse helix bit like they sell at Sears.
              Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I never would've guessed it came out. Guess I'll be stopping by Sears tomorrow. Thanks! Can I just pick up a new stud at the hardware store? Is it a certain "grade" or hardness or anything that I need to look for?

I just love these forums. I was about to go to bed all depressed

Comment

Originally posted by GooberPea View Post
                Foolish me. I found the issue

I had put the axle spacers on backwards. The diagram I have seems ambiguous to me. Turns out I picked the wrong way. Anyway, now that they are on correctly, I can tighten the axle nut without squeezing the forks. Hope I didn't screw anything up permanently
                Hi Mr. GooberPea,

I did this the first time I took off my front wheel. I got a spacer in the wrong spot, or backwards, or something. I noticed it right away before I started riding it. I could tell the forks were binding up. I couldn't get my caliper reinstalled.

I devise all sorts of things to help me put stuff back together properly. I'll use a sheet of paper, draw a rough diagram, and poke all of the bolts and screws through in the proper place. I'll put a string through nuts, washers, and spacers, etc, to keep them in order. It stinks getting old. The memory is the first thing to go. I forget what the second thing is.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Duh. I see it on the schematic now.

I'll order a couple new ones from the bikebandit or somewhere. I just really had no idea they came off so I didn't bother to look.

Everyone on the forums here deserves a round of applause.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    It stinks getting old. The memory is the first thing to go. I forget what the second thing is.
                    I have always heard that the memory was the second thing to go.

Of course, I can't remember what the first thing is.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X