tube in a tubless tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop website

Well, I think we've just about beat this horse to death!! There's been a lot of comments about running tubes in tubeless tires....it's fine to do that and it's extraordinarily common although I'm sure Hap's right about increased temperature. Most street tires are tubeless type but not all rims (because of porosity or spokes) will retain air.......... OK, onward

The Dunlop website says "never perform an exterior repair and never substitute an innertube for a proper repair"....they do, however, say that under the right circumstances, a tire can be repaired.

I would be interested in running without tubes and may give it a try. However, I purchased my bike from the original owner and he said he was POSITIVE that it came with tubes in spite of the fact that it has cast wheels. I've had mechanics tell me the same thing. I read somewhere that the early cast wheels wouldn't hold air and that the problem was solved around l981.... :roll:
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Since this is just a pinhole, there is no danger of any debris getting into the tire, and I have no concern about the tube expanding the hole.

I was concerned about the heat, as the tire was intended to run without a tube.

Today I asked my friendly bike store owner to order a tube.

....Then I came back home to make a stud for the fork....seems the previous owner (or his wrench) stripped almost all of the thread from one of the studs, and bent the other one.

No one has these studs, or at least no one who is open on Staurday, so I used a 3/8 inch grade 5 engine stud ....filed it down to 8mm and threaded it to fit. Works.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I guess it depends on the rim. I had to use a tube in my rear tire because it wouldn't seat the bead properly and it would go flat in minutes. Front was tubed because it always was. I never had luck mounting tires without tubes on my bike :?

Comment

Working...
        X