GS 850 engine mounting bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 engine mounting bolts

Hi all I am currently rebuilding an 850 GS which I received in bits, the engine was out of the bike when I got it and have now tried putting it back in but cannot work out where the spacer that seems to go on the back bolt fits. Can anyone give me a clue, also on another note would barrels and pistons from a GS 1000 fit on to the 850. Many thanks in advance
    Wayne
    ps will post pics of bike when rebuilt it.

Nice diagrams here. Maybe they'll help.
    Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

And they use real Suzuki part numbers.

Oohhh.....And Welcome to the site !!!!
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. wdavie,

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' (and a manual and stuff) on my website. Let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        Nice diagrams here. Maybe they'll help.
        Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

And they use real Suzuki part numbers.

Oohhh.....And Welcome to the site !!!!
        Someone here figured out that the screw sizes can be deduced from the Suzuki part numbers. I don't remember how it worked. Search the forums maybe. Or you could look up a screw that you know the size of, and figure it out again. I don't remember it being horribly cryptic.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi again Mr. wdavie,

Since the 850 is a punched out 750 with 1000 cams, I don't believe the 1000 jugs would fit. The 850 jugs will bolt on to a 750 for a nice little upgrade.

As for your engine bolt spacer, do you see it here? I'm not sure which one you're talking about.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for that it's a useful diagram, cannot see the spacer on the diagram though. Have checked on ebay for mounting bolts and there is one for sale which includes the spacer with it. I'll try to get a picture to upload so at least people know what it looks like. many thanks again
            Wayne

Comment

what year gs850? I have a few that I could help you i.d.'ing parts placement.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

There aren't any spacers used on GS850 engine mounts, and all GS850 engines I have come in contact with ('79-83) mount the same way.

The long bolts (34, 35, 36 on the diagram) are different lengths, so it's obvious which goes where.

The two lower front engine mount bolts are different lengths as well -- again, it takes maybe 10 seconds to determine which one fits, unless you're dense and persistent enough to put the long one on the short side and tighten it to the point it punches through the engine case.

Sounds like you have hardware from something else.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks bwringer, luckily I'm often dense but never persistent. I've put a picture of offending spacer which came with the mounting bolts and had the lower rear bolt through it. I've also put a picture of bike in current state. Thanks again
                  Wayne

Comment

Working...
                  X