Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES restoration opinions

All,

I have restored several vintage Hondas in the past and have been offered a 83 GS1100ES for restoration.

It has been sitting for 20 years and has low milage because of it. The ignition is damaged from being stolen and the bike was dropped damaging the front fairing slightly. Side cover tabs are broken and many parts are rusted a bit. Lots are tabs are broken including turn signals and mirrors.

I am wondering if this seems like a project I would like to take on? I noticed that this combination was only made in 1983. Is it enough of a collectors item to warrant work in this state?

The ignition is broken and the keys are lost so I can't easily get to the battery or key the bike on to see if the engine is seized.

Is there any way to turn the crank directly via the alternator or the timing cover?? If so what tools would I need to bring if I go see the bike again?

Thanks so much

Todd
    Boston

I wouldn't say an 1100e is exactly a collectors item, it really depends on what you want from it. There are alot of options out there as far as mods for this particular model, again I think it is up to you.

As far as the key, finding a new ignition is not terribly hard especially with this forum as a source. I have an 82 1100E that I am doing a restore/ mod on right now. Here is a pic as of late. Follow the link for the details.

Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HitoGS1100ES View Post
      I am wondering if this seems like a project I would like to take on? I noticed that this combination was only made in 1983. Is it enough of a collectors item to warrant work in this state?

Thanks so much

Todd
      No, I would not take it on if I were you...
      Can I have the directions to it?

It is at the top of my list of desirable bikes to own!!!!

In answer to your question, yes it is a desirable bike, but it all will depend on how much work it will take to restore it and the cost to purchase it.

put it in gear and rock it back and forth, that will tell you if it's seized up or not.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Just put it in gear and push it. Might want to squirt some Marvel oil in the spark plug holes first. Tires, Paint, Suspension, Charging system & Battery and all the little broken bits will set you back some $$. Its whatever your time is worth and your ultimate plan for the bike when its done. Im guessing its not gonna be a big money maker. It could become a money pit. Sounds like a $500 bike today and a mint copy might go for $5k. The guys that have them consider them priceless. For me it would be #2 on my list after a Cooley.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yes it's a desirable bike, and yes it can cost quite a bit to restore if it's in questionable shape. I doubt you'll make much, if any money, if that's your goal (depending on condition of course). If you want to keep it, that's another story.

To give you a reference point, I've already put over 2k in a GS750ES (with NO motor work) and I'm not done yet. My time spent on this would make this a BIG money pit if it wasn't for the fact I'm doing it for my son.

A profit center it's not.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

How hard should it be to turn over? So I would put it in 4th or something and see if I can push it along?

Comment

We could tell you much more if you would post us a picture!

If you lived closer to me I would personally come and look at it and tell you you should give up and sell it to me, because I'm a nice guy and I would be doing you a big favor

Good luck and let us know how we can help. You'll find the people here are top notch.

Jim
              GS Score Card
              4-400 Series GS's
              3-500 Series
              1-600 Series
              1-700 Series
              4-800 Series
              1-1000 Series
              2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
              sigpic

Comment

Is there any way to turn the crank directly via the alternator or the timing cover?? If so what tools would I need to bring if I go see the bike again?
                Take a metric socket set. pull the sparkplugs out and remove the cover from the ignition (right) side. Put a socket on the shaft and gently turn. You will be able to turn the motor easily and if you bring a flashlight you will be able to shine it into the plug holes and watch the valve movement as well.

Should tell you a bunch.

Jim
                GS Score Card
                4-400 Series GS's
                3-500 Series
                1-600 Series
                1-700 Series
                4-800 Series
                1-1000 Series
                2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                sigpic

Comment

Too bad you just missed a pristine new old stock fairing (blue/white) on ebay last week. Went for bout $240. Same seller has another one but it has a crack in it.

Comment

First thing Id do is have a look in the tank & carbs. If its set 20 years with gas in it you have big problems, gummed up carbs and gummed up & rusty tank. Personally if it was a grand or less Id buy it. You wont make any money on it by the time youre done so only buy it if you want it for your self. Thats just my opinion & others may vary. I doing an 80 Gs1100E now and dealing with the rusty tank & a rotor thats come lose & spun. Its a cherry bike but I would have passed had I known about the spun rotor. Goig to put it on with green Permatex sleeve & bearing retainer & hope for the best. Other wise it will be an expensive lawn ornament. 83s are a little better because of the larger crank snout

Comment

The fairing, or a fiberglass replica of, is available thru www.airtech-streamlining.com however its the same fairing used on the GS700/750ES's and its actually NOT that difficult to find. The little knee or half lowers MIGHT be tough. other than that, it is essentially the same as any other 83 GS1100E. (except sexier) Yes, it was only made in 83 FOR THE US MARKET and from what ive been able to dig up, and i dunno how accurate this is, in 1983 each Suzuki dealer received ONE GS1100ES. At the time there were approx 1500 Suzuki dealers in the US. So, at least for US spec bikes, the numbers are fairly low. Will it be worth something someday? If you can get it back to BONE STOCK, perhaps, but, its too easy, IMO to fake it, so I doubt it will ever atain Z1 or sandcast CB status...

Comment

Working...
                      X