1981 GS1000GL Paint ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1000GL Paint ?

My first post here but am looking at a 81 year model bike and it appears to have a solid silver fuel tank on it . What were the factory colors used on these model machines . Could they have been a 2 tone paint jobs ? I would like to find out and see some how .
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM. Reason: posted a pic

Hi,
    I have an 80/81 gs1000g, i am in Australia so i dont know if our paint is the same.
    Mine is a metallic and i just got it matched at the paint shop, if this will help you let me know and i will see what code i can get you.

Comment

I actually bought a tank for a GS1000 from my local Suzuki dealer in 2002 and it came in silver.This could be one scenario besides someone painting it that way. The petcock for that tank was the dreaded one that you needed a screwdriver to turn the prime setting on.It did not have the recessed horizontal strip on the sides either that the 78(and 79?) have.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by LeRoy View Post
        My first post here but am looking at a 81 year model bike and it appears to have a solid silver fuel tank on it . What were the factory colors used on these model machines . Could they have been a 2 tone paint jobs ? I would like to find out and see some how .
        First, there was no GS1100G or GL in 1981...the first 1100G or GL (8valve shaft driven bike) wasnt untill 82... SO someone is feeding you some crap there... And "Tight Silver Metalic" was only offered as a stock colour on the GS1100GD/GLD which would have been the 83 model...

Comment

Well finally ,,, here is what I am going to look at . Its not a GS 1100 GL cafekid . Never said it was .
          Rover i dont know a whole lot about petcocks on these bikes but will look it over .
          LandShark ,,, is there a paint code in the vin numbers ? Probably not . That would make it too easy .

There is also a second bike aka parts bike . only it has fewer miles on than this one . The one in the picture is the quote "running one " .

Thanks for the replys .

Comment

I don't know if it helps much, or if you may have seen this already.
            this is taken off the alpha-sports site, which lists 78R and 78S as tank paint combination colors.

you'll have to zoom in on that .gif or look at the alpha-sport site.

this may help also... http://www.troli.no/suzuki2.htm

have you looked through the gallery on the home page of this site?
            Last edited by rustybronco; 06-11-2009, 10:22 PM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Well finally ,,, here is what I am going to look at . Its not a GS 1100 GL cafekid . Never said it was .
              Rover i dont know a whole lot about petcocks on these bikes but will look it over .
              LandShark ,,, is there a paint code in the vin numbers ? Probably not . That would make it too easy .

There is also a second bike aka parts bike . only it has fewer miles on than this one . The one in the picture is the quote "running one " .

Thanks for the replys .
              Ooops my bad...for some reason I read that as GS1100GL.... sorry..

Comment

[/QUOTE]

I hope not cause i just got paint mixed by colour matching. It is metallic so they cannot guarantee an exact match.
                Also i dont think we have the same colour but i am not sure.

That is my bike, let me know if it is the same colour and if you want the code.

Comment

I have an 81 GS1000 GL, its black and grey, black on top to the tank and grey on the sides see profile pic

Steve P

Comment

Well this afternoon i made a 140 mile trip to see the 81 suzuki i posted a picture of . For a person selling a bike to say it runs then when I get there and its no way near running was quite a disapointment . Just the things i observed were back 2 fuel tank bolts striped off and one rubber bushing missing ,, possible carb and boot gaskets issue as orange silicone smeared around ,head gasket leaking , lake pipes for mufflers which some like and some dont , front tire flat , no battery to start it , right side cover busted , front fender been flatened and bent . No front turn signals . The main thing though was he wouldnt even make an attempt to start it for us so I decided to let it be some one elses baby . Wouldnt even come down on his 800 dollar price . He never paid that much for it either and the parts bike was give away he got . My first suzuki encounter ...

Comment

Well this afternoon i made a 140 mile trip to see the 81 suzuki i posted a picture of . For a person selling a bike to say it runs then when I get there and its no way near running was quite a disapointment . Just the things i observed were back 2 fuel tank bolts striped off and one rubber bushing missing ,, possible carb and boot gaskets issue as orange silicone smeared around ,head gasket leaking , lake pipes for mufflers which some like and some dont , front tire flat , no battery to start it , right side cover busted , front fender been flatened and bent . No front turn signals . The main thing though was he wouldnt even make an attempt to start it for us so I decided to let it be some one elses baby . Wouldnt even come down on his 800 dollar price . He never paid that much for it either and the parts bike was give away he got . My first suzuki encounter ...
                      If you're still looking for a nice Zook scoot in a couple months sir, I will have a VERY nice 78 750 for sale, running, in complete order and good repair top end rebuilt, fresh paint etc etc.. will need possibly a new seat cover and that will be it... just if you're interested..

Comment

i may be showing my ignorance here but whats a zook scoot ? I was only interested in the 1000GL because I thought of it as more of a road bike than my xs650 currently is .

Comment

Zook scoot= Suzuki motorcycle...lol sorry, just bein goofy. The XS is a good roadbike. A 1000GL is as well, but i think you'd find that your XS might have more range than a GS "L" model, as they have fairly small capacity tanks (they're more designed for city cruising, i suppose) If youd like a "more powerfull than your XS and just as comfy" roadbike, an 8V GS750 is quite capable of being just that. Its the same motor design (except chain drive, and slightly smaller displacement) as the 1000GL, but a standard, and quite comfy, nimble, quick, and fun At any rate, just thought id throw that out there..

Comment

Working...
                          X