GS450L header studs sheared - removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L header studs sheared - removal

My down pipe bolts have sheered.. I cant budge the pipe but no doubt it would separate effortlessly once I was 50 miles away.

I'm currently soaking the bolts with PB Blaster. One stud is flush, the other gives me about 1/3rd" to play with..

I cant get a drill near them for the pipe or the frame??

Will I have to loosen the engine? What to do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh.. left pot as you sit on it.. long stud is the top one as you look from the front. I may be able to dremme l a slot in it and attack with a big screwdriver

Thanks,,

If you're going the dremmel route use an impact driver. You may have to pull the engine to do so.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How tough is that?

It didn't look too bad to be honest... It looks like I only have to twist it a little without totally removing.

Possible?

Comment

Well if you gotta pull the engine, it doesnt look very difficult on th 450's. How about a little screw extractor?

Comment

Hi,

Someone just posted this very extensive article on "The Art Of Extraction".

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.htm - The art of extracting snapped bolts.

Just passing it along.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the support guys...

My dremmel Idea didn't work.. I cut (wore) a great groove but the metal is like plastic and just fell away.

I tried to drill the flush one.. got it centered nice but no way can I drill strait until I at LEAST twist the engine.. total removal might not be required. (hopes)

OK.. I'm off to read that article..

Cheers..

Comment

Pain.

Well.. the 1 sheared bolt turned into 4!! After I realized I had to pull the engine, because it just wouldn't twist enough in the frame.
              I have to say.. doing this all on my own was quite an adventure.. I'll post some pics later

So..

Bike – 4
              Me – 0

Had one Easy out stuck in a hole and one DRILL BIT stuck in another hole!

Bike – 6
              Me - 0 …and not looking good…. Went to bed dejected and amid thunderstorms last night.. today the battle commenced

I just spent nearly 5 hours, hammering, heating, drilling, breaking, swearing, grinding and chipping away until I finally have four holes!!! my poor hands.. *lol* I guess the scars will heal.. in time..

Now I decide if I want to just use the holes I have, tap them out and hope they work. or pick a bigger size, tap, and hope everything lines up.

As you say, 12lb torque on each.. I think the smaller holes should be ok… Only worry is the new threads will mingle with the old ones and come away.. (Yes.. they are not perfectly strait). I suppose if that happens I do go up a size…

Holy makarell!!... I suppose now really would be a good time to replace the head gasket as it weeps a bit... Anyone know where I can get just the gasket.. and not the whole set?

Thanks... I'll be baaaaaaaaack..

Comment

Comment

PS.. I will NEVER use Easy Outs again..

Comment

AKA Neverouts
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

In case anyone has the same issues... I'm glad to say everything went very well..

I helicoiled the bolt holes and (with a bit of "flange" drilling out) got everything back together pretty quickly.. took a week all told (two weekends really)

I was out testing again tonight and the right pot quit.. I came back on one.. I have no spark to the right.. It kinda came and went for a while.. and then quit completely..

I'm beginning to think it's jinxed!!

Comment

Working...
                      X