Valve clearance dyna s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearance dyna s

1979 gs750, what is the clearance range I'm looking for? In the process of carb rebuild, so while it's down *sigh* I'm going to check these as well. And iI would like to go to dyna s... What is the best way to hook these up, and considering coils as well.

There is a good tutorial on Basscliffs website.

The clearance specs should be .03 to .09 mm but you can go as high as .1 mm . Looser is better (up to .10 mm). You manual should also have the basics for this as well.

I just went to Dyna coils, Dyna S and Dyna wires and I have no regrets. It's very easy to hook up.

If you go with the Dyna S, just follow the directions and ask questions here...many folks here have done this.

Rick

Comment

Right on. What is the coil mod listed , and how do you go about an oil cooler? Plus, which dyna coils did you use?

Comment

Use the GREEN (3 ohm) Dyna coils with the Dyna S. To do an oil cooler, you'll need an adaptor plate that will work on the 8v motors. There was a guy on here who used to sell em, but i havent seen him in a while. I HAVE an adaptor, that I planned on using on my 1000G, but I might be persuaded to sell it and the cooler if the price was right. You'd only need to buy your hoses. The coil relay mod is only necessary if you arent getting enough voltage to the coils. If you swap to Dyna coils, and a Dyna S, and have a good charging system, you likely wont need to bother, though its not tough to do. Basicly it send all the juice from your battery directly to the coils just before start up so you are getting max voltage there to get a good spark.

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
          what is the clearance range I'm looking for? In the process of carb rebuild, so while it's down *sigh* I'm going to check these as well.
          Originally posted by ryonker View Post
          The clearance specs should be .03 to .09 mm but you can go as high as .1 mm . Looser is better (up to .10 mm).
          Actually, the specified range is .03 to .08 mm, but who's counting? The rest of it is right on.

While you are getting ready to do your valves, send me an e-mail request and I will send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet that will help you determine what shims you need in there and will also help you keep track of them from one time to the next. I just sent out #227 earlier this morning, you wanna be #228?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I just sent out #227 earlier this morning, you wanna be #228?

I will... PM sent.
            is it anything like my spread sheet?
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hey Dale,

Did you copy my spreadsheet??? HA! Looks like mine before Steve emailed his.

Copy cat.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                Hey Dale,

Copy cat.
                I don't think so, that was the final draft. but I might have copied one of the earlier ones.
                between the '80 and the '82 adjustments, my shim supply now consists of 6 - 2.80's and 1 - 2.50x.

need some spare 2.80's?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Actually, the specified range is .03 to .08 mm, but who's counting? The rest of it is right on.

While you are getting ready to do your valves, send me an e-mail request and I will send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet that will help you determine what shims you need in there and will also help you keep track of them from one time to the next. I just sent out #227 earlier this morning, you wanna be #228?

Oops. Yes get Steves sheet and follow the simple but significant advice you are getting and you won't go wrong.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                    Hey Dale,

Hopefully your work sheet looks a little better now?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I found a worksheet that is very handy for taking out to the garage and recording clearances and shim sizes. Then I take that info back to the computer and input it into Steve's spreadsheet. Thanks to Daniel Bryam for the worksheet.

There's a copy on my website in the Engine Odds and Ends section.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

16 shims???

Comment

I can't say your online name without laughing.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

it's a keeper

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              16 shims???
                              Before and after?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X