rusted baffles what effect on engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rusted baffles what effect on engine

I was looking at my pipes on my 79GS850 and found the inside baffles are all rusted. What effect on the performance/engine is this going to have?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

If large enough it will run lean. These bikes are lean from the factory and that's why they are so sensitive to airbox and exhaust leaks.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      If large enough it will run lean. These bikes are lean from the factory and that's why they are so sensitive to airbox and exhaust leaks.
      Yay Bill! Way to jump in there and answer the mans question with ah thor e ty! good job.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Yay Bill! Way to jump in there and answer the mans question with ah thor e ty! good job.
        Oh sorry
        Put pods and a fire breathing pipe on it and mess with the jetting for a year.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

As far as I can see and feel there is nothing left of the baffles at all. The chromes still pretty good so I'm reluctant to by a new set.
          Last edited by azr; 06-23-2009, 02:55 AM.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If there are exhaust leaks to the outside air (the exhaust is freer flowing than it should be) or if the baffles are largely missing, then yes, it will ruin lean and you will need to compensate with jetting. The really maddening part is that this will likely have a different effect on each side, so, um, good luck with that. Perhaps you'll want to find a way to hollow the pipes out evenly.

However, I've also seen bikes where internal corrosion caused the exhausts to clog and thus run rich. This also prevents the bike from making much power.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

where to buy new OEM exhaust

That would explain problems I've been chasing. #3 & #4 are rich and no matter what I do I can't seem to right it. Any one have any good suggestions where to buy OEM exhausts? I will want to stick with the original 2 into 1 pipes. Does anyone have an opinion on the Dennis Kirk pipes? (price sure looks right) Everywhere else I look the fiches show the pipes are no longer available. And thanks for the laugh Chef, the year of messing with jets is exactly what I would like to avoid...but the fire breathin' pipes sound cool!
              Last edited by azr; 06-23-2009, 10:44 AM.
              Rob

Comment

You can rebuild them.

Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                  You know... I just got a new 4-1 and am going to read that entire thread for info. Thank you for linking to it

Comment

Great link, but I'm still dealing with stock exhaust so I have no access to the baffles (what's left of them). This tip is for aftermarket pipes that allow you to remove the baffles and pack them. Thanks anyways.
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      That would explain problems I've been chasing. #3 & #4 are rich and no matter what I do I can't seem to right it. Any one have any good suggestions where to buy OEM exhausts? I will want to stick with the original 2 into 1 pipes. Does anyone have an opinion on the Dennis Kirk pipes? (price sure looks right) Everywhere else I look the fiches show the pipes are no longer available. And thanks for the laugh Chef, the year of messing with jets is exactly what I would like to avoid...but the fire breathin' pipes sound cool!
                      Uhmmm You can shop ebay. But for OEM good luck. ALTHOUGH.. YOU CAN buy just the mufflers for those pipes, cut the old off, weld the new on. But an entire exhaust is not happening. BTW, the mufflers for that bike are the same as for ALL of the 850s, so while your year may list as unavailable, try a different year.

Comment

just do what us custom builders do........get a couple of mufflers that match off of ANY other bike, weld them on, and jet accordingly. Go for looks.....go for sound......go for price!

Comment

AZR,

Try www.wemoto.com They are out of England and loads of stuff for our bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            I was looking at my pipes on my 79GS850 and found the inside baffles are all rusted.
                            Have you seen this? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=144274
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I actually sought out a pair of rusted out pipes so I could change my mufflers, it worked out pretty well all in all. someone had already cut the megaphones off at the ends, so I didn't feel bad ruining anything.

there are basically two pipes in there, the outer chromed muffler, and the inner one into the baffles. I cut the outer one a couple inches shy of the weld, then cut the inner one a bit longer, then the outer lengthwise to allow compression over the new mufflers.

I can't remember now if I left these washers in for restriction or just changed the jetting up, but this was my first shot at not having to rejet.

I found some harley turnouts which fit over the inner pipe and inside the outer ones, then used clamps to hold them a bit better.

this is what my mufflers themselves looked like on the inside.

Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X