No announcement yet.

Plugged tire experinces and stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the tire is 50% or greater worn, I replace it. I've yet to 'whole' a new tire but in the event I did, I would break it down and have a patch done on the inside of the tire to prevent debris from getting in and then tube it. Plugs do work...but I'm the 1% that they seem to fail on. Cars, yes. Lawn tractors yes. Bikes, not so much.

Just my thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by d_hoffman View Post
      Could you please post the URL of the tire plug kit you recommend and that "slime" pump? Thanks.
      This one looks nice and compact. how well it works, I dunno...
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thanks for the URL
        That pump looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Would that be because a failure on the front would be any worse than a failure on the rear?

I'm often wrong.......but I thought I read somewhere that a blowout on the front at highway speeds is less controlable and potentially more disasterous than a blowout on the rear.
          GS750GUY

Comment

I like to use these, if the tire is relatively new. I use a plug kit
            to get me home. Once home, the tire comes off and a Plug-Patch
            is installed from the inside. I've probably used 7 or 8 of these over
            the last 10 years and have never had one fail, Used with volcanizing
            cement, it actually does become part of the tire. Recently ran a tire
            repaired with one of these on the Blackbird for 4K miles.

Patch-N-Plug is one of the best repairs for nail hole injuries in the crown or sidewall, including speed rated radial tires. Cord reinforced radial and conventional all-rubber units are offered. Directions: Drill out injury hole, then cement the repair on the inside of the tire and push through the hole. Using pliers, pull the quill until the repair unit seats. Stitch the patch-N-Plug down from the inside and cut off excess plug rubber so that it will flush with the crown or sidewall.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXXZRX View Post
              I like to use these, if the tire is relatively new. I use a plug kit
              to get me home. Once home, the tire comes off and a Plug-Patch
              is installed from the inside. I've probably used 7 or 8 of these over
              the last 10 years and have never had one fail, Used with volcanizing
              cement, it actually does become part of the tire. Recently ran a tire
              repaired with one of these on the Blackbird for 4K miles.

Patch-N-Plug is one of the best repairs for nail hole injuries in the crown or sidewall, including speed rated radial tires. Cord reinforced radial and conventional all-rubber units are offered. Directions: Drill out injury hole, then cement the repair on the inside of the tire and push through the hole. Using pliers, pull the quill until the repair unit seats. Stitch the patch-N-Plug down from the inside and cut off excess plug rubber so that it will flush with the crown or sidewall.

Where might one purchase these?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
                I'm interested in hearing your stories and experiences regarding running a plugged rear tire after experincing a flat. I know that front tires present a whole nother concern so for simplicity sake I'm wanting to limit this discussion to the rear tire only.

The reason I ask is because during my pre-ride inspection this morning I found a small sheet metal screw in the face of my rear tire, a Dunlop 402 with only less than 2000 easy miles on it. The screw was through the thick part of contact face of the tire and not in the bottom of the tread channel.
                Since it was a very small screw and I always ride very conservativly anyway (never over 55 MPH) I plan to have the tire properly repaired at a shop and plan to continue to use it.

GS750GUY
                If you haven't fixed it yet, be sure the tire is leaking first. Maybe the screw didn't penetrate too deep?
                You can usually just put some spit on the screw and look for any air bubbles. Push it a little side to side while checking. If still no bubbles, remove the screw slowly by turning it and watching for bubbles.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                  If you haven't fixed it yet, be sure the tire is leaking first. Maybe the screw didn't penetrate too deep?
                  You can usually just put some spit on the screw and look for any air bubbles. Push it a little side to side while checking. If still no bubbles, remove the screw slowly by turning it and watching for bubbles.
                  I don't usually have that kind of luck.......and I didn't this time either. The screw had a very small hex head on it giving the appearance that it was a very small screw. However, the shaft of the screw was long enough to punch clear through. The shaft of the screw only measures 1/8" diameter....so it's not a very large hole at all. My friend that has had many experiences with flats in his day said since the hole is so small to just plug it and forget about it. He said he had plugged much larger holes in his day and had no problems just using well installed plugs.

Anybody out there experienced blowouts on the front end that want to tell about their experiences?

GS750GUY

Comment

Rear

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
                    I'm often wrong.......but I thought I read somewhere that a blowout on the front at highway speeds is less controlable and potentially more disasterous than a blowout on the rear.
                    GS750GUY
                    If it had to happen to me, I'd very much prefer that it be the rear tire!

I've never plugged a bike tire but I had a car tire plugged once and I suffered a 'blow out' on the freeway about 2 days later. I'd plug a tire on a motor scooter that I only rode around town, with no hesitation. On a motorcyle that I ride at high speeds, I'd be really reluctant to do it, except as a very short term fix. If others are willing to rely on those things, it's perfectly fine with me; I guess I just get scared easily!
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com

bwringer, under patches.

Comment

At work we use the plug than a patch with the vulcunizing cement. It is imperative that the inside of the tire be buffed where the patch is going, then cleaned with a brass brush to insure a solid, even, and clean contact spot. Once pluged and patched the tire is like new. Research RMA tire repair standards and it shows you how to do it. Its the industry standard, that unfortunatley not a lot of places follow.

Comment

I have used patch-plug combos with perfect success. its cemented in place and looks like a rubber plug with a metal rod on one end and a patch connected to the other end.

I had a nail in my front tire with less then 500 miles on a new set of tires. I got this rubber patch-plug, to install it you pull the tire off the rim, ream the hole, sand the inside of the tire wear the patch plug, put cement on both the patch and the tire, let it set, then stick the metal end of the patch-plug in the hold from the inside, pull it through the other side and make sure that the patch is pressed down firmly to the inside of the tire, and finally razor off the excess of the plug from the outside. Make sure the cement dries before re-mounting the tire and have it re-balanced.

It still holds fine to this day.

Comment

I worked during holidays in a tyre store with my Dad for many years. In that time I fitted a LOT of internal patches to car tyres and do not remember one of them coming back as failed. I've always wondered how motorbike tyres are patched? I thought you could plug them but I'm not sure if it's legal in Australia? (I thought it was illegal previously).

BTW: I was always told that a more dubious tyre - i.e. retread, worn, patched, plugged, etc - should be fitted to the rear of a CAR because in the event of a blowout at least the front can be controlled by steering. Does anyone know if this is true and if it would be applicable to motobikes .. e.g. patch/plug front tyre but not rear?

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
                              It is imperative that the inside of the tire be buffed where the patch is going, then cleaned with a brass brush to insure a solid, even, and clean contact spot.
                              I just LOVE details.

Is there something magical about brass, or can a stainless steel brush be used to do the same job? Maybe the brass is just a bit softer?
                              Either way, they are both harder than the rubber, so I am just curious ... why the brass?

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, picked up a screw about 15mm off the centre line of the rear tire. So since new tires are in order this summer I figured I would plug it and get it overwith. So I carefully removed the screw watching the angle so that when I put in the rasp it took the same angle. I juiced up the plug with glue and jammed it in, I was surprised, I usually don't get good results with a plug but so far, no leakage. I will try it out tomorrow on the way to work and see if it leaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X