Yet another Key Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Key Thread

....Sorry for the duplicate and starting another thread but the other ones I found did nothing but mention a three digit key code.

I have two Suzuki blanks I bought and I want to duplicate my wearing key before I don't have one.

My stock key has a #114 stamped on it and my lock to release the seat have a #128 stamped on it... gas cap says 114 too...

I am assuming this is the key code people are talking about but the dealer said it is just the style of lock... so which is it? I'd like to get replacements made without wasting the blanks. locksmith trying to say $85... and I am saying BS

Copy the key that works in all the locks.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
      ....Sorry for the duplicate and starting another thread but the other ones I found did nothing but mention a three digit key code.

I have two Suzuki blanks I bought and I want to duplicate my wearing key before I don't have one.

My stock key has a #114 stamped on it and my lock to release the seat have a #128 stamped on it... gas cap says 114 too...

I am assuming this is the key code people are talking about but the dealer said it is just the style of lock... so which is it? I'd like to get replacements made without wasting the blanks. locksmith trying to say $85... and I am saying BS
      It's the code, any good locksmith can use it to cut you a new key. Do you have only one key to open both of those locks with different key codes?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Copy the key that works in all the locks.
        ....well that is an option... but $85....thats murder. the GS is puring liek a kitten still chef

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          It's the code, any good locksmith can use it to cut you a new key. Do you have only one key to open both of those locks with different key codes?
          My key works on everything *lucky me*

Delaer if I can convince them this is the one... I'm sure they can cut it for me for free... and not pay this dude $85 to do it for me which is just highway robbery

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
            ....well that is an option... but $85....thats murder. the GS is puring liek a kitten still chef
            Hardware store, couple bucks max. I make about three keys for each new bike.

Comment

Hardware store, couple bucks max. I make about three keys for each new bike.
              i tried hitting up the hardware store...unfortunately they did not have a cut out to cut the key

Cutout being they did not have the plastic brick to feed in my blank...

Comment

I could make your keys for free (+ postage), but you would have to mail me your keys. I would need the old key and new blanks. I'm not sure you want to go this route, not having your key for a while, or sending a stranger your key and address.

Comment

Go to a different store, it really is easy to copy a key.
                  Ace hardware, any locksmith, most any drug store still can do it.

Comment

Go to a different store, it really is easy to copy a key.
                    Ace hardware, any locksmith, most any drug store still can do it.
                    I will run to a few other stores and see if I find another with a key cutter... it seems I live in the useless store areas that seem to be less than helpful I don't know where you guys find all these helpful stores....

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
                    I could make your keys for free (+ postage), but you would have to mail me your keys. I would need the old key and new blanks. I'm not sure you want to go this route, not having your key for a while, or sending a stranger your key and address.
                    I'll keep that in mind but should hopefully not be necessary.

Comment

here ya go, cliff http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-...Q5fAccessories

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS1000custom View Post
                        Thanks for the info, but I have a working key..just going to attempt to get a proper duplicate made. That auction wouldn't really solve my problem as I see it only has a single key as well. Will see

Comment

Something I haven't had to do, but heard other have done very successfully:

If you use two different keys for all of your items(i.e. #114 & #128); you could have a blank cut so each side contained one of those patterns.

That way a single key could do everything.
                          If you insert the key and it doesn't work you just take it back out and turn it over so the other side engages.

Perhaps be nice to yourself and somehow label which side is which number for future identification.

Comment

I'll make you a ginsu key blank or two out of a ford key blank (what I use for spares), then you can take it to a hardware store and have them duplicate yours if you would like.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by fb9 View Post
                              Something I haven't had to do, but heard other have done very successfully:

If you use two different keys for all of your items(i.e. #114 & #128); you could have a blank cut so each side contained one of those patterns.

That way a single key could do everything.
                              If you insert the key and it doesn't work you just take it back out and turn it over so the other side engages.

Perhaps be nice to yourself and somehow label which side is which number for future identification.
                              I suppose I should clarify a bit more...

My single key I have with the bike opens all the locks on the bike. I do not have multiple keys for each lock. The question I had pertaining to that was for me to find out if those numbers on the locks were the code or not.

I am still trying to find a local hardware store that can do the job so far no luck *grumble*

Comment

Working...
                              X