Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10-30 dino motorcycle oil? Is it available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10-30 dino motorcycle oil? Is it available?

Every shop I stop in only carries 10-40 or synthetics...

10-30 is what is recommended by MTC for my slider clutch...I've been using 10-40, but wanted to try the "official" weight one time...

Thanks!
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

If all else fails, 10w30 is available in diesel oil.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      If all else fails, 10w30 is available in diesel oil.

That's what I use, Rotella.

Comment

Hrmmm Ive only found Rotella in 5w and 15w...maybe im not looking hard enough..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Hrmmm Ive only found Rotella in 5w and 15w...maybe im not looking hard enough..
          Yup...went to Walmart, as advised and did not find any Rotella in 10w30...

Got a reply email from MTC about their clutch and they did say they still recommend nothing heavier than 30w...although 40w will work, 30w is better...
          Either synthetic or dino....(without the friction modifiers)...

So...I guess I'll look for synthetic....

Comment

I see 10w30 all the time here in NY and in GA at pretty much every auto parts store. I don't look for it but I look over it trying to find the 20w50 all the time. It seems to be common in Castrol/Valvoline/Other Majors and store brands.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
              I see 10w30 all the time here in NY and in GA at pretty much every auto parts store. I don't look for it but I look over it trying to find the 20w50 all the time. It seems to be common in Castrol/Valvoline/Other Majors and store brands.

/\/\ac
              I can too, but not the stuff without the friction modifiers, ("Energy Conserving" in the API badge), that work with wet clutches...

Comment

I'd try the 15W-40 diesel oil. Your engine is designed for 40 weight, not 30 so I'd focus on the engine and not the clutch.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I'd try the 15W-40 diesel oil. Your engine is designed for 40 weight, not 30 so I'd focus on the engine and not the clutch.
                  Negative, friend...we are talking about the dragbike....not the street bike.

The clutch is everything when running a slider...

And the bike is defiantly not being used the way it was designed. It never runs for more than 1 or 2 minutes...so it never really needs 40w...

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    I can too, but not the stuff without the friction modifiers, ("Energy Conserving" in the API badge), that work with wet clutches...

Ahh, gotcha. Maybe you'll have to try a specialty motorcycle oil? I've got a quart of Honda motorcycle 10w30 someone gave me without "Energy Conserving" in the symbol on the back.

/\/\ac

Comment

Royal Purple

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Bob, stay AWAY from Royal Purple! We've had nothing but trouble with it! Try the Mobil 1 or Amsoil is great too. Neither of those have EVER given us an issue. Ray.

Comment

Golden Spectro has a dino and semi-synthethic version in a 10w-30 weight. Dunno how good it is, saw it at the local motorcycle parts shop.

Comment

The local Oreillys by me carries Castrol Motorcycle oil in 10-30,10-40 and 20-50. They also carry motorcycle oil made by Lucas unsure of the weights.

Brakes / Suspension Synthetic Brake Fluid Dot 3 & 4 Luca...
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

OK....good tips and clues starting to roll in...

I'll check it all out gang, thanks...

Comment

Working...
                              X