'80 GS850 seat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS850 seat question

What kind of attachment did the seat have for this model year? The bike that I bought did not come with a seat and the frame does not have anything on it to indicate that it might receive the hinges that I've seen on some seats.

Thanks,

Raz

Is it a G or an L bike?

The G would have hinges on the left side, the L will have a couple of hooks at the front and a latch at the back. Actually, the latch is in the seat, there is just a loop on the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No hinges and no hoops the frame is bare with the exception of the helmet hook on the right side.

Comment

Originally posted by razooki View Post
        No hinges and no hoops the frame is bare with the exception of the helmet hook on the right side.
        So it's a GL and not a G?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

or someone shaved off all the mounts to do a bobber or cafe seat on it...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            or someone shaved off all the mounts to do a bobber or cafe seat on it...
            Could very well be. If that's the case then I can just weld the appropriate part of the hinges on and use a G seat. Any other way I can tell exactly what model it is?

I made a seat from a Honda VFR800 fit on it and I think it looks pretty good and now I'm trying to make a fiberglass tail piece for it but I'm kinda getting discouraged and just want to know what stock seat I should get if it comes to that. That fiberglass is a b--ch to get smooth!!

Thanks,

Raz

Comment

It's a "G"...

what's the shiny spot on the frame above the grab handle?
              Last edited by rustybronco; 07-09-2009, 01:06 PM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                It's a "G"...

The PO gave me a seat from an '82 GS850 and I used the brackets from that seat pan to graft it onto the pan from the VFR.

Comment

It's a "G"...

BTW, how can you tell it's a 'G'?

Comment

Biggest indicator is no Leading front axle. All "L" models have that.
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

the '82 seat doesn't use hinges as does the '80 seat. it slides into two u shaped brackets near the tank and locks at the rear of the seat. the 80 seat is hinged on one side of the frame and locks on the other side.

Originally posted by razooki View Post
                      BTW, how can you tell it's a 'G'?
                      front axle, front fender, rear fender, tank... and I look at one every day

***BTW*** wrong carbs...
                      Last edited by rustybronco; 07-09-2009, 01:34 PM.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

***BTW*** wrong carbs...
                        Yes I found that out not too long ago. I checked the VIN on the chassis and the engine and they both come up as '80 but apparently the early '80 bikes might have had mixed parts (I found that out when I was trying to re-wire the messed up wiring as well). At this point I don't care just as long as I get it on the road. I guess if it's a 'G' I can get a seat and weld the hinges on the frame. I assume I would have to do the same for the other side where the seat locks. I would really like to make the fiberglass tail work since I already got an integrated LED light from a Yamaha R6 I would like to use I'm just losing my patience with it.

Comment

The trick to the glass is to make your rough mould out of glass, then lay the REAL one inside of it, will come out smooth as a babies butt. But you might want to make the cast a lil oversized..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            The trick to the glass is to make your rough mould out of glass, then lay the REAL one inside of it, will come out smooth as a babies butt. But you might want to make the cast a lil oversized..
                            That's exactly what I was thinking last night at midnight in my garage when I had just about had enough of sanding the darn thing!! I think I'll trim it and test fit it and then try that method.

Can I just put some wax on the inside of the mould and then glass or do I have to do what I did the first time and tape first?

Comment

Working...
                            X