Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing new clutch springs, need a new gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing new clutch springs, need a new gasket?

I got new clutch springs in the mail today, and was pretty excited because I wanted to be able to get this job done this weekend. Problem is, I completely forgot to order a new clutch cover gasket. Do I *have* to use a new gasket, or can I reuse the old one?

I did my clutch last month and not only was the old gasket unusable, it was a horror getting the surface gasket free. I had to scrape the old gasket off with a razor blade piece by piece and then use a dremel to smooth it all out. Now, this could have been because the po used sealant on the gasket or it ws very old. I dipped mine in motor oil and it sealed fine.
    Hope it helps.
    Eddie V

Comment

You can fab one. Auto parts stores carry gasket material, or I have even heard of using very thin cardboard to make one.

Comment

Yes, you'll probably have to replace the gasket. When you install the new one put a thin coat of grease on both sides of the gasket. The next time you have to remove it it will come off easily and can probably be reused.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

This situation is governed by Murphy's Law.

If you have a gasket, the old one will peel off perfectly and easily.

If you don't have a gasket, the old one will stick and shatter into a million pieces.

You can make your own if you're patient, or just order a new one. I'd do both -- make a gasket in order to get by until a new one comes in. If the homemade gasket doesn't leak, then you have an extra. If it does leak, then the bike will probably at least be rideable for a few days.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

NO WAY TO KNOW, till you get the cover off. Do you feel lucky? it's probably a 50 / 50 shot
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I just put in a newer clutch on my 650. I went to napa and bought some gasket material and made my own. I just laid the clutch cover on top of the gasket paper and traced out the outside of the patteren. Then i used a 1/4 drill and made the holes while i had the cover laying on the gasket so they lined up perfectly. To make the inside cut i just bolted the cover back on minus the clutch and it will make a perfect impression on your gasket for the inside line. I used an exacto knife to cut it out with. And like mentioned by the other guys i put a thin layer of grease on both sides for easy next time removal. No leaks and it only cost me a whopping $2.25.

Comment

Do you eat boxed cereal?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_17954 View Post
                  I just put in a newer clutch on my 650. I went to napa and bought some gasket material and made my own. I just laid the clutch cover on top of the gasket paper and traced out the outside of the patteren. Then i used a 1/4 drill and made the holes while i had the cover laying on the gasket so they lined up perfectly. To make the inside cut i just bolted the cover back on minus the clutch and it will make a perfect impression on your gasket for the inside line. I used an exacto knife to cut it out with. And like mentioned by the other guys i put a thin layer of grease on both sides for easy next time removal. No leaks and it only cost me a whopping $2.25.
                  Great system. I'm curious if you do it for the valve cover gasket also. I would think that one is really difficult to make.

Comment

Speaking of clutch springs, I'm going to pull of my clutch cover to remove the crappy paint and polish it. Would it be of any benefit to replace the clutch springs at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                      Speaking of clutch springs, I'm going to pull of my clutch cover to remove the crappy paint and polish it. Would it be of any benefit to replace the clutch springs at that time?
                      They're like, $1.25 each, why not? =)

Comment

Originally posted by eddiev View Post
                        Great system. I'm curious if you do it for the valve cover gasket also. I would think that one is really difficult to make.
                        It's just the time required to do it. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...61&postcount=9
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                        X