Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 1100 EF exhaust autopsy

Hello.
    My first post here. Someone on the oldskoolsuzuki.info forum advised me to put some of my questions here as I have higher chances of getting answers.... so... here I am.
    I want to know if anyone has done an "autopsy" of the GSX 1100 EF (GS 1150) stock exhausts (the end part with the "filters"). There are some noises coming from my bike's exhausts so I think some filters are "wandering" around and I need to cut the pipes and weld the filters... well not me.. an uncle of mine who has a professional welding machine.
    I'd like to know what they contain so I'll know how to cut them. I did such a thing on my previous motorcycle (Yamaha XJ600 type 51j) and had to cut the first exhaust twice as the first cut was not on the right spot. I'd like to avoid that on the Suzana.
    I'm aware there are quite small chances of finding such pictures.

About me.. my name is Ciprian , I'm 30 years old and this is me on my motorcycle:

Ciprian
    Nice bike. I guess you have figured out by now it is fast. Nice suit, but gloves and shoes are important as well. Good luck on the exhaust. How many miles on the old girl?
    No idea about the baffles.
    Sorry.
    Pos (Jim)

Comment

nice looking bike ciprian,i have the western version gs1150e.about the exaust i am not exaclty shure but most exaust baffles are either perferated steel or if they do have a packing it will be like a glass fiber sheet. good luck with the surgery on your pipes. hope this info helps.
      if i was a betting man i would bet they are the perferated steel.
      when you do it take lots of pics we all like pics..........toolman

Comment

Well.. this is a picture from the Yamaha XJ600 exhaust surgery

I was hoping someone has such pictures or schemes for my GSX 1100 as the exhaust "ends" look very good and I wouldn't want to spoil them.
        I have some nice IXS leather gloves.. I did not wear them as it was hot that day.. and anyway it was just a photo session.
        Here's another:

Comment

Well,
          What I learned even from riding a bicycle is to wear gloves. You can buy vented gloves for the summer, lest you get in the habit of not wearing them.
          Good luck, hope you bike is running well.

Comment

Well.. I was hoping that someone could give me some "inside" on the "smoking pipes"
            The exhaust baffles (filters) have started "singing".. It's like I have some Christmas bells inside my mufflers So I should see about them as soon as possible, although I don't have too much time for the moment.
            The old girl has about 46.000 kms, from whom 2000 kms made by me.. I have the bike for 3 months or so.
            I still have some hope that someone can give me a little help on the filters (with some pictures).
            'bout the gloves: I wear them on EVERY long ride.. I very rarely use the bike for short rides (and most of the short ones are made with the gloves).
            Have a good... ride

Comment

I think, if you wanted to go this route, and Romania is a far off place to most of us, but you can generally find the exhaust systems for these on Ebay from time to time, even NOS. I see them FAR more often than i do the 1100E exhaust systems...

Comment

Romania wow I was figuring Canada, Welcome aboard

Will this at least solve 1/2 of your problem?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Romania wow I was figuring Canada, Welcome aboard
                  Will this at least solve 1/2 of your problem?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-S...Q5fAccessories
                  Yes... Romania... Eastern Europe.
                  Sorry.. the link won't help me.. I don't have too much money.. and anyway I like to repair things if possible as to minimize the pile of garbage I'm producing; yes, I know the exhaust being made of metal is recyclable but still prefer to repair it. The thing is the exhaust ends look VERY good and would be a pity to cut them.
                  Here's how they look:
                  -the left one

Comment

-the right one:

Comment

and finally the front part which looks kinda rusty.. but I'll clean and repaint it when I'll take the exhausts out:

Comment

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
                        -the right one:
                        Just like a little peep show .

Wondering how to dissect those pipes. It looks like the baffle may be riveted to that end plate which was rolled into the end of the outer skin.

If you have a dremel and cut the end plate out the baffle will likely slide out. You would need to be able to weld it back at the end. Hopefully the other side will just slip out otherwise trouble.

Comment

Looking at the endcap, it looks as if you could drill the rivets and pull them off so you could get a look at the baffle.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cooler;1049314]Yes... Romania... Eastern Europe.

Where in Romania? I was born in Bucharest but left in '82. Haven't been back since. I guess alot of things have changed since I left. I keep telling my son (who is 6) stories about when I was growing up back in Romania and he doesn't believe me most of the time - he thinks I make this stuff up. Like the fact that we were not allowed to enter the school in elementary if the boy's hair was longer than finger length. Or that again we were not allowed in if we did not bring a certain amount of glass bottles and paper for recycling!! I guess Romania was ahead of the curve when it came to recycling.

If those are indeed rivets you can most likely replace them with screws once you cut them off and remove the baffle.

Comment

Have you located which baffle(s) is (are) loose yet?

Humor me for a moment, I'm just thinking out loud.

put a rod in the the exhaust pipe and press against the pipe to see if you can locate the area of the rattle. then it may be possible to expand the pipe on either side of the baffle with something like this. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt2071.html

just a thought...
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X